Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What world are you currently exploring through the activity of reading?

Administrator Administrator

What world are you currently exploring through the activity of reading?

Or what book are you reading?

The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littell

I'm still reading this. I for some reason haven't been able to settle long with a book for awhile now so it's taken me longer than usual to finish. A superb read. Not for those of a sensitive nature, if you can handle the dark Side of life then it's highly recommended. The narrator is an ex SS officer who was involved in the extermination of undesirables during the East front campaign. That alone should be enough to tell you whether you'd enjoy ti or not. The book though is very deep and it's obvious we are being told about very intelligent with a vast amount of knowledge yet at the same time show shocking ignorance and you'd expect their intelligence to rail against the Ideology they believe in.

Mage’s Assistant
    Great book. I would rather say that it's great for those of a sensitive nature. It's much easier to identify with the protagonist, then.

Lately I can't get into any book. The last novel that I've read was Metro 2033. About people who were living underground. Very good, pessimistic stuff.
    Last edited by Perturabo; 05-18-2012 at 08:47 PM.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

I fancy reading Metro 2033, after playing the game and I also like post apocalyptic stuff. There is a sequel as well I believe (book). The reviews said the English translation was abit off.

I read a good book (but a pretty hefty volume) Swan Song by Robert McCammon. It's a post apocalyptic novel with a sort of fantasy twist. A great book, though it was written in the eighties so some of it is a little dated.

Mage’s Assistant
    I think I will add that to my reading list. At first glance I thought you were referring to Robert Littell, author of The Company, a great story about the CIA.

I just finished reading Texas by James Michener. Yesterday I completed The Admirals: Nimitz, Halsey, Leahy, and King - The Five-Star Admirals Who Won the War at Sea, audio book.

Tonight I start on The Well-Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had, Susan Wise Bauer. Having trouble deciding on what audio book to start next, here are some of my choices:
    Ulysses S. Grant: A Victor, Not a Butcher (Unabridged) Edward H. Bonekemper III
    Exorcising Hitler (Unabridged) Frederick Taylor
    War and Remembrance UNABRIDGED by Herman Wouk

Hmmmmmm.

War and Remembrance is my vote.

Parusski you must buy Kindly Ones, I've never read a book like it before to be honest. It stands apart.

Acolyte
    Got two on the go at the moment, Charles Mingus' 'Beneath the Underdog' and Jack Kerouac's 'On the Road'. Bit disappointed in the second, I read 'The Dharma Bums' first and that was much better IMHO.

Love the music of Mingus I have Black Saint and Sinner lady a very intense Jazz album. I was also abit dissapointed with On the Road. For a book set in those times by one of it's hip writers I preferred Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or another book set around then I've read was the Electric Cube Acid test.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRimmer View Post
    War and Remembrance is my vote.

Parusski you must buy Kindly Ones, I've never read a book like it before to be honest. It stands apart.
    Oh, already ordered from Amazon. Thanks.

And I think I will go with the audio version of War & Recall.

I'm sure you wont be disappointed with your new purchases, if you are blame Warspite. Where is the fellow English hooligan anyway?

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRimmer View Post
    I'm sure you wont be disappointed with your new purchases, if you are blame Warspite. Where is the fellow English hooligan anyway?
    Whoring his stupid beauty contest. He has severe OCD.

I listen to about 60 or so audio books every year. Since 1997 I have been a member of Audible.com, and I am a legacy member. For $39.95 per month I get any five audiobooks I want, they have over 80,000. I always choose unabridged versions. With audiobooks I get to "read" even when driving or working.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast