Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What world are you currently exploring through the activity of reading?

Administrator Administrator
    Funny enough I was thinking about audio books recently as I just can't seem to sit down and read. I thought maybe audio book I'd be more inclined to listen and relax. Do you find it's easier to settle with an audiobook than a normal reading book?

I've asked Mr Warspite to bring the beauty contest over here when he starts up a new one. That way were not treading on Matrix toes or others who post there and also it will pour some activity into here. Tomorrow I'm going to start posting some new threads the the game forums, get them started. I'm going to try and shock some life into here like a Dr Frakenstein but use chat instead of lightening, as I think that might break my PC.

Adept Sorcerer
    I read Winds of War and War and Remembrance a long time ago. I can't even hardly remember what it was about. Read it at 15 years old or so. Pretty good, from what I remember.

I'm reading a book called The Queen's Oranges. Set during the reign of Henry the 8th. I like stories like this, although I have found this author to be a little hard to get into.

Enjoying the "Game of Thrones" series. I don't do fantasy / sci fi very often, but this is quite good.

@Mr Steiner I asked a question. Do you think an audio book would be better than a reading book if I'm having difficulty in sitting down and relaxing?

Haven't read a fantasy book in a log while. I fancied getting The Witcher books as I believe they are dark and grim and I think written by a Polish author who takes in[siration from alot of their dark folk stories. This appeals to me in a big way.

@H Gilmer, I've had a problem alot recently with finding authors hard to get into, though I'm not sure if it's my mind set. I can't relax at all these days.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRimmer View Post
    @H Gilmer, I've had a problem alot recently with finding authors hard to get into, though I'm not sure if it's my mind set. I can't relax at all these days.
    Welcome to the club.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

Quote Originally Posted by Perturabo View Post
    Welcome to the club.
    Yeah i have started about four books and none are finished. Ilya a novel set on the east front, Bitter Victory a book on The Somme, 6 Weeks life of the British Officer about WW1, Fear a novel\memoir set during WW1 from a French piliou and two other books and also the Kindly Ones so thats way more than four!! I haven't finished any of them! Thing is there all damn fine reads, I just can't sit and read anymore!

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRimmer View Post
    Yeah i have started about four books and none are finished. Ilya a novel set on the east front, Bitter Victory a book on The Somme, 6 Weeks life of the British Officer about WW1, Fear a novel\memoir set during WW1 from a French piliou and two other books and also the Kindly Ones so thats way more than four!! I haven't finished any of them! Thing is there all damn fine reads, I just can't sit and read anymore!
    Sounds like a burn-out from reading too much grimdark. I usually tend to try something lighter after reading much war stuff. Preferably something with a feminine element. It tends to help. Though now I'm in such a state for the whole last month.
    It makes me wish I haven't sold my Forgotten Realms collection years ago.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

I usually mix up a heavy read with a lighter novel these days to avoid reading burnout. Just finished the latest Game of Thrones book (A Dance Wiith Dragons). A good read but the story just rolls on and I can't see a satisfying conclusion coming anytime soon. Now reading the history of the English Civil War but unfortunately know that the Royals will be coming back to sponge off the country once Cromwell kicks the bucket.

I hink that maybe my problem, all I've done really for the last 8 years or so is read War books with the very odd exception. I'm going to have to mix it up abit.

Mage’s Assistant
    "Funny enough I was thinking about audio books recently as I just can't seem to sit down and read. I thought maybe audio book I'd be more inclined to listen and relax. Do you find it's easier to settle with an audiobook than a normal reading book?"

I listen to audio books when I drive and ALWAYS when I play PC games. It does take some mental training if you want to actually absorb what you are listening to. It is easy to let your mind wander(like warspite's mind does). But that can happen with regular reading. If you want to listen to audio, try Audible.com. Since I became a member 15 years ago that Audible has been consistent in great customer service, expanding it's library and implementing customer suggestions.(AD OVER)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast