Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US vs UK....

Administrator Administrator

US vs UK....

To open up the debate forum lets start one off....

American Football or Football (no it's called football not soccer)? Springsteen or The Beetles? RAF or USAF? US Marines or Commandos? SEALS or SAS?

OK here we go who has the best UK or USA you decide!

Mage’s Assistant
    Man oh man. This is so easy. USA in all categories. See, that was easy.

I do want to suggest you NOT let warspite1 participate, he is soooo biased.

Arcane Candidate
    US rules, UK drools.

When all said and done many Americans where a bunch of Brits who beat some other Brits and called themselves Americans, so with that UK wins as we beat ourselves.

Also SAS wouldn't have crashed the 'copter when trying to take out the biggest target ever. SAS would have just jumped out the 'copter before it landed, finished the job in 25 seconds then jumped back into the copter and gone home for a cup of tea, all that done in the same time it took the US to crash a 'copter. Fact.

Oh you don't need to just choose the ones in the OP. If you think your country does something better then tell us and say why. Facts only, like my facts in the OP!

Acolyte
    Music,

USA. Blues and jazz in umpteen different flavours, funk, soul and the only real country music. OK, hip-hip is complete sh*te, but you can't have everything.

UK. The only real heavy metal and a vastly over-rated scouse guitar band.

Verdict. USA. By a very, very, long way.

Sports,

USA. Football (yours), decent enough game. Basketball, second most boring sport in the world, played only by tall people. Baseball. THE most boring sport in the world. (Ice) Hockey. Probably the worlds second-most entertaining sport. Especially the fights. Generally better at boxing than we are.

UK. Rugby. Third most boring sport in the world. Football (ours), worlds number one sport. Nuff said. Cricket. The worlds most intelligent sport, except 20-20. 20-20 is however the WORLD'S MOST ENTERTAINING SPORT. I defy anyone to watch half-a-dozen IPL matches and tell me otherwise.

Verdict. UK on points.

I'll leave it at one apiece for now.

Mage’s Assistant
    "When all said and done many Americans where a bunch of Brits who beat some other Brits and called themselves Americans, so with that UK wins as we beat ourselves."--Haha, best ever history lesson.

Herston, you are correct about the music, in every respect. Sports, our football is the ONLY real football and great fun to watch. Hockey-blows, Basketball-blows, Rugby-really blows, Soccer- BLOWS BEYOND IMAGINING(I was promised NO soccer mentions here).

I can't agree about baseball. Baseball is an elegant game. George Will said "Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona."

The great Earl Weaver said this, and I love it "You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all."

So the next time any of you guys are WRONG about anything, I will let you know.

Arcane Candidate
    Baseball.....90feet of perfection. Love the sport.

We play baseball. However I watched a video of English Baseball recently and it looked like people trying to play cricket but didn't know the rules. Plus there where alot of Mullets and Mustaches as the clip was from the early eighties, all in all it didn't leave a very hip and cool impression of a World beating sport. So even as Brit I have to hand baseball to the USA...that took a few minutes to type those there words, my hands where rebelling against typing a USA win.

Adept Sorcerer
    Yeah, but UK rules when it comes to tea. Anyone use the brand P G Tips? I like it a lot. Hot tea... when you don';t want to be blamed for leaving the coffee pot on in the break room. "What? Did I leave the coffee pot on overnight? Surely you jest! I drink hot tea, not coffee. Couldn't have been me."

Alright, I'll play along:

Sport: No contest. American football followed by American baseball. You lot can have basketball if you want it, it is the second most boring sport in the world-right behind cricket. Verdict: USA! USA! USA!

Accent: English. I hesitate to say this in a forum where it may be repeated to others (thankfully no one will read this). But the English accent is soothing to the ear, sounds intelligent (even if it isn't), refined and pleasant. To (mis)quote a line from Matrix II: "Cursing in (French) is like wiping your ass with silk." OK-I meant Engligh, but you get the idea. When I hear someone from Alabama speak, I privately weep for the language.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast