Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: US vs UK....

Arcane Candidate
    Sports: No opinion is necessary. Just the facts ma'am, just the facts. Association Football is the world game. Rugby Union and Cricket are played the world over - okay cricket is mostly legacy of the empire, but if the game was rubbish it wouldn't have taken off in Oz, New Zealand, the West Indies, the sub continent and a host of African countries. Rugby is by no means an Empire thing - being played also in Argentina, France, Italy, Russia, Romania, Japan, Georgia, and the USA.

Re CB's point about accents, that is interesting. The chances of hearing a "refined and pleasant" English accent grows smaller by the day. Estuary English and - even worse - Jafaican, are becoming more mainstream as "right-on" morons think its "edgy" and "cool" to employ DJ's, TV presenters and announcers that can't pronounce their H's or t's. HIDEOUS.

Administrator Administrator
    That Yardy cockney\Jamaican accent is annoying and you know they decide done day to start talking like that! Innit! We also have the country accent that really doesn't sound intelligent in anyway. Infact it's only a small part of the country (the home counties) where you will find the sort of accent chicken is talking about.

Warspite you just reminded about our Empire. Which we didn't loose we just gave back as we're generous like that. Or if we did loose it as I said before we lost it to our selves so we won.

Arcane Candidate
    I will say the UK makes much, much better alcoholic products than the US. Hands down.

Music = USA (Dylan)

Military = USA (money talks)

Not Shooting Eachother = UK

Sport = UK (football not rugby with protective gear or rounders)

Therefore UK mainly on the not shooting eachother....

Quote Originally Posted by warspite1 View Post
    Sports: No opinion is necessary. Just the facts ma'am, just the facts. Association Football is the world game. Rugby Union and Cricket are played the world over - okay cricket is mostly legacy of the empire, but if the game was rubbish it wouldn't have taken off in Oz, New Zealand, the West Indies, the sub continent and a host of African countries. Rugby is by no means an Empire thing - being played also in Argentina, France, Italy, Russia, Romania, Japan, Georgia, and the USA.

Re CB's point about accents, that is interesting. The chances of hearing a "refined and pleasant" English accent grows smaller by the day. Estuary English and - even worse - Jafaican, are becoming more mainstream as "right-on" morons think its "edgy" and "cool" to employ DJ's, TV presenters and announcers that can't pronounce their H's or t's. HIDEOUS.
    Oh, bloody hell.

Your logic about cricket not being rubbish because of its world wide fame is like baseball. Baseball is big in much of central and South America, North America and Asia (Taiwan, Japan, Philippines, etc. You know what? LaCrosse is popular here in colleges, as soccer is popular in kids up to 6th grade (about 10-11 years of age). Then we grow up and realize that the NFL (American Football) or NCAA College football is "it" in terms of sports. One need look no further. If one wishes for a glimmer of the 'good old days', then baseball (played the world round) will do nicely.

As for 'everthing alcohol better from the UK' (a different poster)? Really, mate? Your Hendrick's Gin (Scotland) and Irish Whiskeys are quite nice. However, I'm lead to believe that the Germans, Belgians and some US microbrew beers are quite satisfactory. My favorite beer from your neck of the woods? Irish Smithwicks. Irish Whiskey is quite satisfactory as well-Bush Mills and its ilk or Jamesons will do nicely. Is Ireland part of the UK? :-P

Lastly, your wines are shite. And there are some magnificent bourbon and ryes from the states that I'd put up against your warm ales any old time.

We'll just have to have this conversation in a year or two when Scotland secedes from the UK. Then your great spirits makers-Ireland and Scotland will be unable to support the arguments for the third world alcohol that England and Wales produce.

I like Black Bush.....whiskey..whiskey your dirty minded old man!

Neophyte Sorcerer
    Can someone tell me where this "warm ale" thing comes from,Its cold larger or nothing in my bit of England.

Warm Ale I imagine is whats perceived in some Northern Pub I expect. Pint a mild luv...tis warm again!

When I was a kid lager was frowned upon in the pubs around us. It was bitter or Guinness. Wouldn't be seen dead with a lager!

Neophyte Sorcerer
    Guinness?thats what the old chaps round here drink on cold winters evenings, but I do like a nice pint of bitter sometimes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast