Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: So... Luftschiff

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Mage’s Assistant
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    101

    So... Luftschiff

    I bought it some time again. Never got to play it.

    The rules are rather complicated and presented in form of paragraph after paragraph of specific rules.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

  2. #2
    Administrator Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    310
    I saw this on Boardgamegeek only a few days ago funny enough. I'm always on the look out for solo games. It looks a very intriguing Zeppelin game I have to say. Shame the rules are difficult to follow. I expect you'd get help from those over at Boardgamgeek. Oh i also came across a steampunk Zeppelin boardgame that a member of Boardgamegeek was making. Links below.

    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/959/luftschiff

    http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/5760...ether-captains

  3. #3
    Mage’s Assistant
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    101
    Well, I when I had encountered solo boardgames for the first time, I thought that they'd be great for introducing lots and lots of rules. Luftschiff made me doubt it.

    But then, I think that it could simply use another form. For example tutorials:
    Let's say a mission where you just fly a zeppelin from place to place. Under ideal conditions. Then another for less ideal atmospheric conditions. Then one when you fly a post plane. Then one when you have some combat, etc. It limits the amount of rules that are introduced at the same time.

    That dice game concept sounds interesting.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

  4. #4
    Mage’s Assistant
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Brentwood, TN and Cheyenne Wyoming
    Posts
    101
    OOOOOOKKKKAAAY. Let me see. Inflate a balloon and float it around. Wake me up when something exciting happens.

  5. #5
    Mage’s Assistant
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by parusski View Post
    OOOOOOKKKKAAAY. Let me see. Inflate a balloon and float it around. Wake me up when something exciting happens.
    Well, better way to jump in than learning hundreds of paragraphs of rules before starting to play.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

  6. #6
    Administrator Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by Perturabo View Post
    Well, better way to jump in than learning hundreds of paragraphs of rules before starting to play.
    You are right. Even though it may not sound to fun at first and you really want to get to the juicy exciting bits sometimes you have to take it slow. Especially if the rules are less than straight forward. Again check out the threads over at Boardgamegeek or sign up and ask questions if your stuck, you probably will get some advice and feedback. Or maybe find an AAR which can help wiht learning the rules. I too think that solo games is a mechanic where you could throw more rules in and more detail\chrome. I think though it all depends on how well the rules are written. Even the most straight forward rules can be made to feel you need to be able to crack a code to understand if written in a muddled or poor way, abit like my posts.

  7. #7
    Mage’s Assistant
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRimmer View Post
    You are right. Even though it may not sound to fun at first and you really want to get to the juicy exciting bits sometimes you have to take it slow. Especially if the rules are less than straight forward. Again check out the threads over at Boardgamegeek or sign up and ask questions if your stuck, you probably will get some advice and feedback. Or maybe find an AAR which can help wiht learning the rules. I too think that solo games is a mechanic where you could throw more rules in and more detail\chrome. I think though it all depends on how well the rules are written. Even the most straight forward rules can be made to feel you need to be able to crack a code to understand if written in a muddled or poor way, abit like my posts.
    Sometimes the sheer amount of rules is overwhelming. It doesn't help if all paragraphs are easily understandable if one has to read hundreds of them to just play the game.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

  8. #8
    Administrator Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    310
    Mr Steiner you philistine! Ze Zepplin is ze greatest flying ship zat vill rule ze World! (said in a poor picklehelm wearing accent whilst twiddling a man sized mustache)

  9. #9
    Administrator Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    310
    Sounds like it's a real struggle then. Can you see a good game underneath it though? Is it worth sticking with?

  10. #10
    Mage’s Assistant
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    101
    I don't know. Never got to play it XD .

    Here's a someone else's review, though:
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...of-airships-at
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
footer