Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASL always a new game

Abecedarian Mage

ASL always a new game

After playing a few board games, and seeing that it is often all about knowing the perfect opening move, and that sucks the fun out of the game if you don't know it, I found that ASL is a nice change of pace because the games are almost impossible to play the same way twice. And they have hundreds of scenarios, and of course they want hundreds of dollars for this game too. But it is nice that even though the fool game takes up so much space to store it, you don't need much of it to play a battle out. We learned quick too, have a set of rules for both players so you can finish the arguing faster. The game is so nitpicking fussy detailed, but at least it looks really accurate even if a bit tedious getting all the rules correct. Long fingernails sure come in handy with this game. Pity you guys can't enjoy that perk.
    Please don't go on about how cool it is I like wargames. It gets old.
    Some of my comments are just me parroting his bitching.

Administrator Administrator
    Well ASL is a game I'd love to own and play. Sadly however I don't and I wouldn't have anyone to play against either. So my only hope and it's a very vain hope is if someone converted the whole shebang to the PC and I wouldn't mind if they add some animations and sound effects aslong as the actual game rules are all in there.

Are you an avid ASLer? If so do you know many of the ASL players the frequent the forums? Do they need a place to go on the net of their own as I could set a sub forum up here. Just say.

As I said if needs arise I can change the forum around or ad ne sub sections etc if I know they will be used and active.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan d'Arc View Post
    After playing a few board games, and seeing that it is often all about knowing the perfect opening move, and that sucks the fun out of the game if you don't know it, I found that ASL is a nice change of pace because the games are almost impossible to play the same way twice. And they have hundreds of scenarios, and of course they want hundreds of dollars for this game too. But it is nice that even though the fool game takes up so much space to store it, you don't need much of it to play a battle out. We learned quick too, have a set of rules for both players so you can finish the arguing faster. The game is so nitpicking fussy detailed, but at least it looks really accurate even if a bit tedious getting all the rules correct.
    I remember there being some solitaire scenarios in one of the starter kits. Have you tried any?

Quote Originally Posted by Joan d'Arc View Post
    Long fingernails sure come in handy with this game. Pity you guys can't enjoy that perk.
    Well, we can can, we are just afraid to accidentally gouge our eyes out when rubbing eyelids or something like that, so we don't.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

Abecedarian Mage
    ASL has a Solitarie module, which like anything made to be played solitaire, never really quite satisfies quite enough. But ASL has one perk most wargames can rarely succeed at, and that is it is so hard to play it and play it twice. Sure it is hard to play it by yourself and surprise yourself, Gee I would have never guessed that squad was hidden there. But I have been taught, make the smart move, make the move that makes sense, then try and outperform the move you just made. Repeat. In that way, you force yourself to always make only sensible moves, and you usually become a devestating player. With hidden stuff well you just need to pick scenarios that don't feature it if you have to play on your own, and the game has 1000s of scenarios, and they don't always have hidden stuff.

Or you can bribe your wife to play your games snicker. Come on guys you just need to be a little clever about it. Well it helps if your wife is at least a bit interested.

The Starters are ok, but I was taught with a copy of the original game manual. Personally if your target newcomer can't figure the game out by scenario 1 they might be too damaged by modern video gaming. I was told read this, if you like it fine, if not it's ok. But being promised a new skirt helped A lot of the grogs worship the notion you need the Starters. Again they are ok, but it is faster and easier to see the original game, and be told, the current game is just more detailed. Sometimes I think companies try too hard to look more awesome than is required. I also wish they would take the Starters and put them all in a single box now that they have had they time as single products. Come on MMP we all know people are using it as ASL Lite, you might as well just accept it. Every ASL nutcase seems to intend to buy all of them anyway. It's not like they will harm the full version game. My other half has mentioned ASL is like a sickness, none of the faithful can help themselves. You make a module, call it 'official' and they will line up to buy it.

As for internet. I was told there is no point pretending ASL has a chance anywhere other than Gamesquad's place.
    But those boys sure seem a bit over the top.

Mage’s Assistant
    I own a fortunes worth of ASL modules and boards. I have played many times with my oldest son, but unfortunately it has been a couple of years. But it is a beautiful thing to see in my game room.

I own a copy of ASL starter kit, just because.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9...-starter-kit-1

Administrator Administrator
    ASL starter kit. Great idea if they kept all three in print.

HauRuck
    I keep meaning to get back into ASL. I use to play as a kid & teen. I have all the starter sets and all the starter set expansions. The basic rules are all of 8 pages I think in Starter Kit #1 when you subtract out the examples of play and such. Just that they are very legalease sounding and scare most people still. But I'm sure it would come back to me easily. Maybe I should look into Vassal. I've culled so many board wargames from my collection but still never ASL.

It could also be that there are so many good lighter tactical WWII games these days. Like Conflict of Heroes and many other just released or soon to be emerging games.

Abecedarian Mage
    ASL, not for the sqeemish.

It's like truffles to wargaming. You take a bite and it's omg this is to die for. Then you realise oh gawd I can't eat all of that.

Stupid idiot buys anything with the logo. What nutbar thought up those HASL things. There's too many counters. The maps are too big.

Some of the ASL fraternity are also a bit odd.

Mage’s Assistant
    Odd? Me? My son? Why yes we are and proud to have mastered ASL. Well, no one masters it...

Abecedarian Mage
    Yeah I have tried 'reading the manual' total waste of time. And if you don't play it for a month, well you start forgetting stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast