Thread: Game research advice needed\input

Administrator Administrator

Game research advice needed\input

OK what features would you require in a WW1 airwarfare game? The overall mechanics would I expect be along the lines of Achtung Spitfire, well thats style I think it could go in. Or it could be more like Wings of War. Either way it would have to be IPad friendly, though it would also be on the PC aswell.

So any ideas? What would you like to see? Campaigns? When during WW1 should it be set? I was thinking Bloody April 1917. Do wee need Squadron rosters? Stats? What pilot stats?

Anyway post your ideas\wants.

Thanks

Jason

Abecedarian Mage
    The only airplane games I have ever seen that looked any fun, were basically card games.
    Please don't go on about how cool it is I like wargames. It gets old.
    Some of my comments are just me parroting his bitching.

Well many would disagree. Lots of simmers out there. Also there is a demand for an airwar game so I hear from a good source.

Thanks for your input.

Are you talking about a tactical sim or a strategic level game?

I've never understood air war only games. Maybe its just me but its the interaction of the land / sea / air units I find most interesting.

Mage’s Assistant
    Interaction doesn't have to mean commanding all three.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

Think achtung spitfire or the boardgames Wings of war and Whistling death and the next GMT game Bloody April (I wa stesting that for abit and its going to be a great game, would also make a superb PC conversion).

I'm talking about tactical air wargame. You prefer grand strategy or operational I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonRimmer View Post
    Think achtung spitfire or the boardgames Wings of war and Whistling death and the next GMT game Bloody April (I wa stesting that for abit and its going to be a great game, would also make a superb PC conversion).

I'm talking about tactical air wargame. You prefer grand strategy or operational I think.
    OK, I see. That sounds very interesting. So this would be a fairly small (1-4 planes v. 1-4 planes) sort of tactical game?

I think that would be really cool.

I guess off the top of my head the obvious things you would need:
    1) Historically accurate aircraft performance and availability.
    2) Some sort of representation of the pilots of the time. Maybe some kind of performance or spotting modifiers.
    3) Also, I like the idea of a campaign kind of like Close Combat III. You could start out with a noob pilot in a single crappy plane maybe doing a recon mission where you're only goal is to take some pictures and make it home alive. Each time you win you could get more aircraft allocated, pilots would gain experience, some sort of point based system to upgrade planes and to repair damaged planes. So if you sustain more damage, you may not be able to upgrade to better equipment. And if a pilot dies, you would have to replace him with another noob.

I always found that aspect really fun with CCIII. After a few missions, I would have a core of veteran units and some noob replacements. Losing a veteran was a big deal or taking major damage to one of my tanks. I think the same concept applied to a WWI air war game could be a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Perturabo View Post
    Interaction doesn't have to mean commanding all three.
    Good point. Its just that in WWI the planes had so little impact on the greater war because they were in their infancy. Other than recon of course but even that is of limited value when the lines are so static.

Of course, from WWII on, the situation was quite different!

Mage’s Assistant
    I think that recon and counter-recon is a pretty big impact. Also, the Cambrai offensive was supported by 275 planes and Operation Michael was supported by over 300 planes. Late war offensives include using CAS en masse (tens for every kilometre of the front). Interdiction was pretty important too. Then there were also observation planes for guiding artillery fire.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."