Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The state of the world!

Neophyte Sorcerer
    Every Empire thru history has been based on greed,somebodys got something we want,lets take it,and if we enslave them as well we get lots of free labour and get even richer.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemmo View Post
    Every Empire thru history has been based on greed,somebodys got something we want,lets take it,and if we enslave them as well we get lots of free labour and get even richer.
    All humans, throughout all history have been this way. If you are a christian you know this greed and envy goes back to Cain and Abel, right after God put us on our paths to destruction.

Adept Sorcerer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hertston View Post
    I don't want to get too hung up on one issue as I've no experience of the US medical system or indeed the country as a whole (making my first visit next year, actually). My general point, though, is the hypocrisy between advocating almost total freedom in some spheres of life while denying some fundamental freedoms in others, apparently (stripped of any ideological or religious pseudo-argument) solely on the basis of disapproval and assumed moral superiority.
    I'm not going to set myself up as an expert on anything here, because I'm not, but a lot of the stuff we do, rightly or wrongly, was done as a direct opposite of the way it was done in England. The owning of guns was directly due to what we called tyranny of government. Now, we all may laugh about that as being very outdated, but and as I said, rightly or wrongly, it was considered a huge threat when the right was put into our Constitution.

Adept Sorcerer
    One thing about capitalism. I believe in it. Yes, it needs some checks and controls but just think about it.... Look how people lived in the 1700s and 1800s and even the early 1900s. They lived in squalor and it was a lot of people. I truly believe capitalism is what pulled so many out of squalor and into the middle class. Think of how you live... you would be considered rich by people who lived in the 1800s.

A guy who I do not know the name of, but he quoted someone else.... he said this about capitalism.... "Capitalism is the absolute worst system man could ever think up... until you compare it to every other system."

Now, that may be a bastardization of the Churchill quote about Democracy, but even so I think it is a good quote.

Mage’s Assistant
    H. Gilmer you are a man of reasoned intelligence. Well stated.

Administrator Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hertston View Post
    A single currency is a long-term necessity if Europe is to work as a single trading economy. Whether that's what Europe should be doing is an open question, but IMHO it is otherwise eventually we may not be 'dictated to' by Europe but will effectively being dictated to by China and India instead. I'd prefer the former. It's also far too early to say anything has failed; the current economic mess would have happened with or without the Euro and those countries in the real shite would have still been there if they had never joined it. The particular problem is that countries were so so eager to join they bent and broke the rules and blatantly lied to do so, and that should NEVER have been allowed to happen.

Can't see why people are so wound up about the prisoners having votes thing, personally. Firstly, if they are going to be let out before the next time that particular election comes around it is quite appropriate they vote IMHO. Secondly, and rather more significantly, the general turnout is bad enough these days. None of them will bother voting anyway.

On the more general point it's always worth having an external guardian of human rights IMHO. Some of what they come up with may sound bizarre, and might even be bizarre on occasion, but there's no shortage of cases where the UK government have got hauled up for pulling a fast one on their own citizens. Generally the more they squeal, the worse the actual breach of human rights they were trying to get away with. This is the lot who think all our emails, texts and website visits should be recorded for the benefit of the security services, remember. That's a policy for Iran or China, not the UK.
    Thing is a single currency EU doesn't work as tther eis way to much of a disparity between different countries economics. Things where fine before the single currency like they will be if it went down the toilet. Europeans are from all different cultures, we are not like the States and trying to make us into a Euro State wont work. It's ideology gone mad. Certain countries couldn't do it through war so now it's done through business.

Things have gone fromn bad to worse since this the Mastricht treaty (where Britain gave away it's independence as a country).

I'm not bothered they can have the vote, I'm bothered that a different country tells us they have to. Thats the issue.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345