Thread: Car Wars, Dungeons and Dragons and a small boy.

Administrator Administrator

Car Wars, Dungeons and Dragons and a small boy.

With the recent Ogre Kickstarter hitting the net and getting lots of attention I was hit by a wave of nostalgia, I was drenched in card board counters of souped up MG totting cars,wrecks,mines,flamethrowers,well thumbed rule book,car sheets,Mondos and a big paper Hex map! Once I'd brushed myself down I thought about that fateful day I ventured into the local Model Shop called The Model Shop in Exeter at the charity shop end of the Hight Street. I walked past the Airfix kits and remote control cars towards the dimly lit counter at the back of the shop. I was eleven years old. My life was about to change.

When I got to the counter I was confronted by an assortment of items I'd never seen before, infact I had no idea they existed. At the time I had discovered The Hobbit and wa sin the process of reading Lord of the Rings. These books had already opened a whole new world of myth and magic to me. Something had clicked and I realised this was the kind of thing I'd be looking for when it came to books etc. Anyway there in front of me was what looked like some kind of album cover. A whole pile of square shrinwrapped cardboard with drawings of Wizards and Orcs and Castles and all sorts of creatures I'd just come across in LOTR. I picked one up for a close look. The words across the top said RAVENLOFT then it said A Dungeons and Dragons adventure module. Dungeons and Dragons...my eleven year old imagination was now firing on all cylinders infact it was revving like the best sports car made..ever... What was all this. I looked at more the excitement growing all the time. I'd just stumbled across a whole new world, a world of which I never knew existed. RPG. Role Playing Games. So I could be Aragorn!! I could play Aragorn in a game and all these modules where adventures I could go on! Oh boy! I then spotted something in the counter behind the glass. Goblins. Yes there where about 10 beautiful made Goblins, similar size to my Dads old lead toy soldiers. These also where made from lead (not the light metals the minis are made from today), they where solid and heavy and had amazing details. I noticed they came in cardboard boxes, several figures in a box. There where others Orcs, Kobolds,Humans, Elves you name it I saw the box. I can't remember who made them, it wasn't Games Workshop though there where GW mini's there this was in a time when GW weren't all consuming and where just another mini maker. So not only could I play this RPG called Dungeons and Dragons but you also used these figures! WOW! In a state of shock and awe I looked up to a carousel on the counter.....

Thats when I saw it. Hanging on the Carousel was these small plastic boxes and on the front in big words it read Car Wars! Car Wars. I took a step back. Where am I? This was like toy heaven, one amazing thing after another.I took it off the carousel and read the back. A game about Car's kitted out with weapons and you raced around blowing up other cars and mowing down pedestrians and not only that you designed the car! All in this little box. I looked up and read Sunday Drivers a Cat Wars expansion. I put Car Wars back and read the back. Now I could race around a City taking out a gang called Mondos and police and bikes! The art work on both was superb. When I see it now it really has a feel and look of the times. I put it back. That was it. From now on I knew where my paper round money was going. The first thing to buy was that game Car Wars by that Steve Jackson then Sunday drivers and I also had seen Truck Stop the second car Wars expansion. That can wait. Car Wars and Sunday Drivers first. Once they where bought it was onto those other games called Role Playing Games especially that Dungeons and Dragons and those modules....oh and those fantastic figures!

The nest week I walked into that shop called The Model Shop and walked back out clutching a little plastic box with two big words written on the top....Car Wars!

Mage’s Assistant
    My adventure with fantasy gaming started when I was a little kid - I saw an article about Warhammer in Gazeta Wyborcza. I loved the miniatures, but I couldn't afford them as I was poor even for Polish standards.
    I started sculpting, though. I didn't know how to make real miniatures so I settles for carving from baked polymer clay. I still have some scars on my fingers from these times.

My first fantasy game was a Polish version of Steve Jackson's Melee:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3464/melee
    I also got the Death Test add on which introduced me to solitaire gaming.
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameex...729/death-test
    Then I got a Polish version of Warp War.
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3466/warpwar

Later I was playing Magia i Miecz with friends. Magia i Miecz was a Polish version of Talisman.
    When I was a young teen I was fascinated with Battletech and bought a Battletech Compendium (but not the game itself).

When I was about 14 or 15, I got a starter box for Battlfleet Gothic. I didn't have anyone to play it with regularly.

Finally, when I was 18, I got enough money to start playing Warhammer. I also got internet access and finally could learn how to sculpt miniatures. I bought a Chaos army book and a box of Chaos Warriors. My uncle bought me a Mega Paint Set. I got disappointed with the low quality of the Chaos Warriors and additionally learning how to sculpt made me realise that I don't like the caricatural proportions of the Citadel miniatures, so I resigned.

In the end I never really got into tabletop wargaming.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

How old are you? Sounds similar to my experiences. Buying the games only to never play them. I think I played D&D about 8 times in my lifetime. I bought Middle Earth RPG, D&D Starter Rulebook, Traveler Deluxe Edition, Car Wars\Sunday Drivers\Truck Stop and out of them I never played Traveler or Middle Earth I played Car wars games about 5 times and even then sort of skimmed the rules and as I said D&D about 8 times but never as a DM. I also bought a fair few mini's. I also got White Dwarf Mag every month starting before it became a GW sales Mag. My dream was to be either a boardgame designer or work for White Dwarf!

I never had mates who where interested or as geeky as me. I was kind of a geek who was accepted by the in crowd, though I could mix with any group. I knew survival at school meant being accepted by certain people.

Battletech was a game I always wanted myself. A shame we never grew up together!

Funny how we both bought a Steve Jackson game first!

You should start sculpting again and start up you own business. Check this Indy mini maker out.

http://www.tomgunn.co.uk/aboutus.html

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRimmer View Post
    How old are you?

I never had mates who where interested or as geeky as me. I was kind of a geek who was accepted by the in crowd, though I could mix with any group. I knew survival at school meant being accepted by certain people.

Battletech was a game I always wanted myself. A shame we never grew up together!
    I never heard about the geek/nerd stuff before I got the internets. When I was in elementary school, most of the criminal element was into some sort of gaming. We all had Commodore C-64 computers. It was in times when playing computer games included several minute load-times and adjusting the datasette recorder headers.
    I actually, remember how two school bullies were after me because I didn't return them a cassette after they erased my cassette. Crazy times.
    To be honest, I'm not sure why I never played Battletech. I remember talking with one guy that later became a drug dealer, about it. We went to the city, to an arcade saloon over Burger King. They had Mortal Kombat there. I think it was 1996. So, I had the Battletech Compendium and he had the Battletech boxed set. I remember that we were arguing about how the name is spelled. Still, we never got to play it. I don't know why.

When it comes to Gothic, I didn't know anyone who had enough money to collect the miniatures. I think I played it several times with one of my friends, though.

You should start sculpting again and start up you own business. Check this Indy mini maker out.

http://www.tomgunn.co.uk/aboutus.html
    I was thinking about starting out with ordinary boardgaming. With a gaming board and counters. Maybe I'll try with miniatures too. Though I'm interested in smaller scales now.

Computer games and consoles aren't a geek pursuit here either, but RPG and boardgames where. I'm really a closet geek myself. Never knocked around with the geeky lads in school but did get on with them and found I could mix with geeks and non geeks. I haven't led a geeky life either, raving followed by a fairly destructive drug addiction.

Still I'd say i'm a geek at heart.

Mage’s Assistant
    Computer games and consoles aren't a geek pursuit here either, but RPG and boardgames where. I'm really a closet geek myself. Never knocked around with the geeky lads in school but did get on with them and found I could mix with geeks and non geeks. I haven't led a geeky life either, raving followed by a fairly destructive drug addiction.

Still I'd say i'm a geek at heart.
    As I have said, I have never heard about "geeks", "nerds" and stuff like that until I started talking with people abroad. I'm just a gamer. No matter if it's shooters, simulation games, wargames, board games.