Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panther games.

Administrator Administrator

Panther games.

I asked Dave (Arjuna) head of Panther Games what he was upto at the moment and whether he was working on games or a Military contract. Lucky for us it was games.

Below is his reply. Personally I can't wait for the east front game. Also I'm very excited about the smaller scale game being made set during the Axis Invasion of France following Rommels Panzer division.

For those who don't know Panther Games make the superb Command Ops series (formerly Airborne Assault). A link to their site is at the bottom of the post.

"Right now I am back on game development. The Defence contract I was expecting to start this month got axed with the latest Federal budget. So that's good news for the game side of business.

At the moment I am knee deep in conversion code. We're trying to get to the point where the Game and ScenMaker will convert scenarios, maps and estabs created since COTA patch #3. We've implemented the regime for preservinmg conversion code. Previously we did whatever was necessary in terms of conversion code as a temporary hack and then commented it out. Now we preserve all conversions along with the respective version numbers and run through these one by one on load. So if a scenario that a user has done with COTA patch 3 ( which would have been version 117 ) it will troll through several sections of conversion code to bring it up to the current version 173. As you can see from th difference in version numbers that amounts to a fair bit of conversion code. It gets messy because we branched development at version 109 with one branch leading to the thrid patch for COTA and the other doing the preliminary force group restructure work for BFTB. I'm right in the middle of the process of resolving these two branches.

The end result should be that any user should be able to load their previously developed data content generated since COTA patch 3 inclusive in the Game or the and it should be able to run. Ditto for scenarios in the ScenMaker. We will also be providing a special Convert menu in the ScenMaker which allows you to batch convert scenarios, maps and estabs. With a bit of luck previously saved game files may also work but I'm not making any commitments in regard to saved games.

One of the benefits I hope of the conversion code will be that we can convert all the COTA patch #3 data content. If this works then we will release a COTA Ex Pack for BFTB. This will be similar to the HTTR Ex Pack but hopefully with the entire set of COTA scenarios - that's 44 by my count.

Once I have finished with these I will endeavour to put out BFTB Patch #4 with various changes and fixes - more on that closer to the event.

Also in the works at the moment we have:

Knock On All Doors (KOAD) Ex Pack - just four scenarios to go on this set which covers the alternate German staff proposal for the Bulge.
    East Front - we have started designing scenarios for this now.
    West Wall Ex Pack - this will cover battles along the west front between Market Garden and Bulge. We're still in the research phase for this one.
    Legends of the Blitzkrieg (LOTB) - this is a more tactical level simulation of the France 1940 battles focusing on Rommel's 7th Pz Div. We have estabs and some mapping done with a concept scenario designed and being tested. "

http://www.panthergames.com/

Mage’s Assistant
    I'd love to play LOBT. It's exactly the topic that I'm interested in.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

We have the same tastes. I'm also very excited about LOTB and the smaller scale. I imagine a Stalingrad game at platoon level using that engine. Obviously you couldn't have the whole of Stalingrad in one scenario but you could have lots of scenarios covering the major assaults and even alot of smaller scenarios. I think it would be the first wargame do Stalingrad city fighting well! That would be a dream wargame. It would test the engine and also need alot of new codeto deal with house to house and fighting in the rubble but hey I'd love it. Storming the Red October Factory or Barrikady Gun Factory or Mamayev Kurgan.

Abecedarian Mage
    Panther Games, I suspect I'd be preaching to the choir here though.

They pass most of my markers.
    Please don't go on about how cool it is I like wargames. It gets old.
    Some of my comments are just me parroting his bitching.

Joan they are good games aren't they. Though the Bulge scenarios are abit of a slog and I much preferred the COTA scenarios there is no getting away from the quality of the games\sims.

Mage’s Assistant
    Generally, I'm sick of the France '44 scenarios, in any games.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

Abecedarian Mage
    Quote Originally Posted by Perturabo View Post
    Generally, I'm sick of the France '44 scenarios, in any games.
    I have to agree.

Sometimes wargaming looks a little too much like wearing the same dress all week. Yes dear I know you like that dress a lot. And I know you wash it every day and even iron it, but no one sees you do that part, they just know you had that dress on all week.

The world is after all more than 150 years old.

I am sure the various game engines would do just fine in any time period. The engine Panther Games uses would look fine in Napoleonic or Ancients I am sure.

Actually thinking about it I'd love to see a Ancient or Napoleonic game using that engine. Though I do have my own game design idea that would fit that kind of warfare, that I feel would really get it down to a tee.

As for France '44. To be honest the West Front '44 to '45, except I'd like to a a decent wargame set in Hurtgen Forest, has never been my favourite front on WW2. Always the East front, unlike WW1 which is the West front that appeals. Though I'm not that bothered with Africa either. Italy makes a change. I also would like to see more games set during the start of the War on the West front. I'm partial to hypotheticals aswell, like Op Sealion.

Abecedarian Mage
    The problem with a lot of games, is some settings only do some scales well.

And then there is the water barrier. It seems needing to go naval wrecks a lot of otherwise good games. I often think that is the main reason Russia has it easy. Pacific is the exact opposite, it's almost all about the water control and often has trouble once on dry land.

They need to get the designers to realize the war was also fought in the jungles of Burma, and there was more to the Marine's war than just the Canal.

Well said. I agree about certain settings need to be at certain scales.

Quote Originally Posted by Joan d'Arc View Post
    The problem with a lot of games, is some settings only do some scales well.

And then there is the water barrier. It seems needing to go naval wrecks a lot of otherwise good games. I often think that is the main reason Russia has it easy. Pacific is the exact opposite, it's almost all about the water control and often has trouble once on dry land.

They need to get the designers to realize the war was also fought in the jungles of Burma, and there was more to the Marine's war than just the Canal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast