Thread: Combat Command Matrix Edition

Acolyte

Combat Command Matrix Edition

So how many people actually bought this?
    My guess would be around 50?
    Although it seems as though only a dozen or so post at Matrix.
    Personally I don't regret the decision at all, and there is a lot to like about this game.
    any thoughts?

Administrator Administrator
    It's a reboot of Buko's game I believe. I know it has a very loyal strong fanbase. Though I never bought into it. Not sure why. The main reason I haven't bought into it is I'm not a fan of step loss in games. More so even when it's at the lower end of the scale like squad\platoon\coy. Though I do like the scale, coy level and all that. I think if it was till being worked on and expanded I'd buy it at the right price or if it had a strong modding community.

I would probably say 50 or so myself. I think people at times overestimate in a big way how many units even a popular wargame sells, hence the when asked abotu how many units a good selling wargame would sell you wont get a reply. BA and PC probably sold a couple of thousand units max. Command Ops maybe a thousand? Or maybe even thats way out. I remember when Command Ops came out and people where talking about the price and during the discussion people where talking in the thousands of units sold bracket. I bet Dave was wishing his wargames sold that many!

Abecedarian Mage
    I have seen the pre Matrix Games version. I suppose the Matrix Games version is like a lot of Matrix Games versions, little more than the game with some makeup on.

I like some elements of the design. The problem is the market has too many competing designs. Only so many wargamers, and you can only pitch so many games to them.

A well known philosophy, is don't market wargames if you aren't doing it for love of the game, because doing it for the money will disappoint you. Every wargame ever made since the 70s would get you fired if you were at a mainstream company.
    Please don't go on about how cool it is I like wargames. It gets old.
    Some of my comments are just me parroting his bitching.

Acolyte
    I hope the game is more than just the old one, plus a little make-up.
    It seems like it has a few more tweaks than the original.
    What it is, is a nice little wake up call to new developers that you dont need to make the games bloat-ware.
    The program is around 24MB! download, and still offers a credible A.I, a stack of scenarios and a clean U.I.
    It is little wonder that the few on Matrix that post regularly there are so keen to recruit more to the game.

Administrator Administrator
    The Steam and Iron Naval wargame by NWS is only an 8mb download aswell an it's a great game.

Neophyte Sorcerer
    I'm one of the fifty,had it for a while now and despite agreeing with Jason about step losses in smaller scale games,I like it.Remember playing a demo of the pre Matrix version and to be honest I don't think theres a great deal of difference.