Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physical Copy or Digital Download?

HauRuck

Physical Copy or Digital Download?

What are you guys doing these days and why? I know this will be hard to believe but one thing keeping me from MANY Matrix purchases is the fact I haven't been able to make up my mind on this..

Physical Pros:

1. I can sell the game when I move on to something else or, perhaps more importantly, if I don't like it given few games have demoes.
    2. I can line them up on a shelf to admire and/or simply remind me to play them again.
    3. I can perhaps read a real physical game manual or at least more easily refer to it while playing the game (Even though I have an iPad its not always handy for a .pdf review).

Digital Download Pros:
    1. It costs $10 less on average. As I'm looking to buy as many as 4 games I suppose that means I would get a fifth one free...

That seems to put things squarely in favor of the physical copy...given that selling even one I don't like or grow tired of easily equals the discounted price after 3 or 4.

But am I in the minority?!?!

Acolyte
    No idea. I don't tend to bother with physical copies these days, though. Selling games software is more trouble than it's worth, and anything I get shot of I tend to just give away - and you can do that just as well with a downloaded copy burned on CD and the serial. I use a second monitor for manuals while playing; and I'm short on shelf space.

Abecedarian Mage
    Come on guys, the real question is are you a collector or a player.

My other half never gets rid of anything. Sell a wargame? come on not if it is any good.

Thus it is often price and impatience that is key. Digital download is cheaper and now.

That and I have noticed he doesn't play ANY of them to death. So why cry over the box and manual, cheaper gets you more. And he'd rather look at his books than at game boxes.

Not being able to sell it hrumph, then spend more time before clicking submit maybe. It's not like there is any shortage of you windbags talking about them all day.

He's gone and printed out a few manuals, in colour even, for a few extra bucks admittedly. I have told him, if 15 bucks is Mt Everest, than you can't afford the game to begin with. And besides, you tooooold me that was why you needed that tablet for, and now you complain your manual is not made of paper, I am so going to smack you.

Ever noticed how no matter how hard you try, the disc gets scratches? Like some damn fairy is responsible. So all you got out of physical for 10 bucks, is a jacket worth 20 cents, a manual that is not as good as you hoped for, and a disc with scratches on it. Man if you can throw away 10 bucks that easy, send some my way.
    Please don't go on about how cool it is I like wargames. It gets old.
    Some of my comments are just me parroting his bitching.

Mage’s Assistant
    I'm collecting physical versions of old games. I especially love the old Microprose games.

When it comes to new wargames... I don't see a point since they are sold in ugly DVD boxes that are too small to fit decent map and manual. When it comes to Matrix Games, I buy the physical versions from NWS since they are less expensive than downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by HauRuck View Post
    1. I can sell the game when I move on to something else or, perhaps more importantly, if I don't like it given few games have demoes.
    You can't sell them anyway. Matrix Games moved from Digital River to Plimus and Plimus binds the game to your name, even when you buy a physical version. After a few bad purchases, I simply don't buy games without demos now.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

Neophyte Sorcerer
    Living in England,it has to be digital download,saves a small fortune in postage and packing charges.

Administrator Administrator
    Digital Downlaod for me these days aswell. Any money saved is a plus and it's usually cheaper than a boxed copy.

Neophyte Sorcerer
    For me, the only thing in favour of physical copy's is a printed manual and lots of games don't have one now,and in cases like WITE when they do after several patches and numerous rule changes some parts aren't much use anyway.

Suicidal Angel Administrator doomtrader's Avatar
    Usually the games in Poland are cheaper.
    More less 35 Euros for AAA PC title.
    However I prefer to wait for a sale on Matrix or GamersGate and pickup the game when it is 50% or more off.

Mage’s Assistant
    They aren't cheaper. The price is paid in work and they cost 3-5x times more work than in the west.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

Suicidal Angel Administrator doomtrader's Avatar
    If I have to buy the game on Steam for 49,99 Euros or for about 35 Euros in Poland, then it means they are cheaper in Poland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast