Thread: What is new about it?

Abecedarian Mage

What is new about it?

That video didn't really show me anything, other than it looks like it is trying to be Strategic Command or Commander Europe at War.

So I guess the question is what is so special?
    Please don't go on about how cool it is I like wargames. It gets old.
    Some of my comments are just me parroting his bitching.

Suicidal Angel Administrator doomtrader's Avatar
    I didn't really spent too much time with the titles you have mentioned, so it is rather hard to directly answer, so let me tell you something about Strategic War in Europe:
    1. Country oriented - player is controlling single country (or group of them), so the planning must consider weak cooperation between units which belong to different countries.
    2. Move-Attack-Move order - you are free to do anything as long as you have got Action Points, so you can move unit A for one hex, destroy enemy which stand on its road with unit B, and then continue movement with unit A, until you reach another enemy, then wait for unit C, and use units A and C to attack that enemy.
    3. Customization - you can set the Fog of War to any level, you can set the game to follow every visible enemy unit or you can just skip the whole AI turn in seconds.
    4. Easy economy and production management - just gather PP and order new units.
    5. Supply system - based on cities and railroads, without capturing enemy cities you won't go too far, without protecting own supply lines won't go at all.
    6. Great modding possibilities - possible to change almost every aspect of the game, most of the modifiers, combat tables, supply and economy rules.

Over all of it, we wanted to create strategy game which will be accessible for more casual players, which will allow to finish grand campaign within two evening for those who are not able to spent too much time playing, and which will allow unlimited time of gameplay for those who like to change and try new things wit the game.

Arcane Candidate
    How to preorder?

Abecedarian Mage
    #2 has my attention.
    Please don't go on about how cool it is I like wargames. It gets old.
    Some of my comments are just me parroting his bitching.

pochepiller, you can preorder it at GamersGate, also Impulse should start preorders soon, we are also hoping to have Desura preorders launched before weekend.

Joan,
    All of our games allows to move units in this way. You are not moving and attacking but spending action points. It is truth that some of the actions are using all your AP, but still you can plan and safe something for later.

Arcane Candidate
    How does this title differs from Time of Wrath? Is it some kind of light version of ToW?

I would say it is a lighter version of Time of Fury.

The most important aspect is larger scale (which means less hexes on the map) and longer turns (1 month) with less options to choose from. A great game if you have limited amount of time for playing.