Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In search of a girl's wargame

Abecedarian Mage

In search of a girl's wargame

Ok seeing as I am as good a source as any, I will make my humble attempt on this, and it is up to you to bring any input you can drag out of your wives girl friends sisters hell as your mom.

My son was telling me about an 80 year old granny that is a hard core Starcraft player that could likely mop up the street with him She plays every day but Tuesday. I am told Tuesday is the game's maintenance day whatever that is. That's when she does all her shopping and hair care and housework apparently. I can just see it now 'no Timmy you need to leave granny alone, it's a big tournament this afternoon'.

Ok back to my impossible quest.

Ok girls DO play games, so what are they? Well plenty of girls play MMO games. Not sure about shooters. I think it is the team work dynamic you require.
    We girls like to socialize, so the game must need everyone to accomplish a goal. But is has to be more than just running amok shooting at stuff. But it still needs to be active (like a MMO).

The game needs to incorporate the planning which means some form of regular pause, not just a turn, but a strategy moment. So you can make the actual game run live like a MMO, but say every 5 minutes the game halts and you look at where things are and then you decide if you need to change anything. It's also a good time to sneak in upgrading replacing redistributing retraining reinforcing chores.

So I would say it could run like a real squad, actually the same make up as in real life 10 men or whatever. Of course just like in real life you rarely get to have your paper organization. Or it could be each person running a platoon or a division because there is no reason you have to be Sgt Rock, you could always be a captain or a colonel or a general.

The game would need to run on a formal server I think they are called, the way they do MMO games. So it wouldn't be the same as the usual 2 person wargames. But it wouldn't need to be run in an evolving world, it would be set in some portion of the real historical moment.

I don't think there has every been any similar sort of game before other than Civilization which can be many people inside a game with competing sides.
    Actually Civ is likely on the right track, but it is hardly going to please the guys always screaming about accuracy.

What does everyone think?
    Please don't go on about how cool it is I like wargames. It gets old.
    Some of my comments are just me parroting his bitching.

Mage’s Assistant
    Something like this?
    http://www.website.thechainofcommand.net/

Also, Close Combat: Modern Tactics (5 players x 5 players). I remember it being quite fun in multi. Except that the makers forgot to include a team-specific chat. Oh and it's usually very hard to get all the players in one time for playing.
    Last edited by Perturabo; 05-29-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

Abecedarian Mage
    Wow that sure looks like the high board in the deep end of the pool

Administrator Administrator
    WEGO Combat Mission games. War is mainly a male pursuit and many girls have no interest in it at all. I imagine though that a fantasy tilt to the wargame may get them to play. Something they can play as a female warrior or Elf Queen or something, rather than a male gung ho man killers.

Joan I'm having difficulty working out what your asking for would be more female friendly?

Arcane Candidate
    I always recommend Steel Panthers series, particularly WinSPWW2 and WinSPMBT.
    You're actively discussing tactical decisions after each turn there.

Abecedarian Mage
    It's not an easy challenge Jason. The two games mentioned, Combat Mission and Steel Panthers, would be 'just typical wargames' and have nothing specifically interesting to a woman.

It's probably the hardest game design document task ever given.

Abecedarian Mage
    Was talking with someone that has actually done the leg work on this matter in the video game industry already.

Has to be like a gem game, almost no learning curve, and you can forget your big hooters, chain mail bikinis, and dependence on guns guns guns and explosions.

Because it will need cooperation, and interaction and problem solving like with most role games.

And I suppose that eliminates 99% of everything you boys demand in your wargames.

Hmmm..a gem game? What you want doesn't really sound like a wargame at all. I suppose something dealing with logistics maybe might be cool, though a little dry. War with out guns\death and explosions isn't war is it? I can't see the War in the game here.

Abecedarian Mage
    Jason you need to get out of your man cave more, it seems like you have forgotten what sarcasm sounds like

The chat I was having with my acquaintance basically had us both realizing you weren't going to be designing a wargame for women ever. Not going to happen.

I don't mind fiddling with his wargames a bit, but they don't really 'do it for me' mostly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast