Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In search of a girl's wargame

Administrator Administrator
    Sorry Joan, I'm slow on the uptake 90% of the time, forgive me. I'm sure there are women into War and Wargames just few and far between as your good self proves.

Although all is not lost we have you and also girls like this who do re enactments so I'm sure would enjoy wargames...

ladynazi.jpg

Adept Sorcerer
    Hearts of Iron lets you pause the game at any point. Would that be something?

Abecedarian Mage
    ??

I can pause any game though. How is that a feature worth pointing out?
    Please don't go on about how cool it is I like wargames. It gets old.
    Some of my comments are just me parroting his bitching.

Administrator Administrator
    Now now Joan he is only trying to help

Abecedarian Mage
    I didn't understand his question.

Adept Sorcerer
    The game needs to incorporate the planning which means some form of regular pause, not just a turn, but a strategy moment. So you can make the actual game run live like a MMO, but say every 5 minutes the game halts and you look at where things are and then you decide if you need to change anything. It's also a good time to sneak in upgrading replacing redistributing retraining reinforcing chores.
    This is why I said it. You can halt it yourself and do all the planning you desire and all the other stuff you want to do. What do you mean by regular pause, because most people think when you say that either a game you can stop or a game that has turns. Not much in between there.

Abecedarian Mage
    Ahh ok, what I meant was any game can be paused, turns you can just stop playing and go have lunch or do the dishes, I suppose if a game doesn't have turns as long as it has a stop function it can be paused. So then it becomes really did the game do anything to make it realistic enough. Some though I guess only want fun. I suppose it is also about the boredom factor. Some board games can be dull if you can't relate to the action. Some board games look like math exercises, and some games in real time just seem to be weird variations on zerg rush.

I liked how Up Front was part poker game. Did you cling to that one perfect fire card or move card of buildings card. The randomness duplicated the uncertainty of the battlefield nicely. That's an example of design elegance. Anyone can just clone the other guys design. But how often is it actually unique. I've never seen an RTS game that looked different. They are always the same design. Shooters are bad for that too. Different graphics set, same experience. MMOs seem to only allow for repetative actions, only one way to swing the sword. After 5 minutes it looks like a feedback loop.

Panther Games broke out of the mold and forced the player to accept the consequences of ill thought out actions. I am not sure any other game has repeated that very well. There are a few out there, but they also look graphically sterile. Good training tools if you are getting paid to be bored staring at a mostly unresponsive screen I guess. I have never considered frantic games to be any real semblance of of the real thing though. Given a choice of RTS or shooter, I'd likely pick the shooter. Easy enough to control just the one person. But those games never enforce any sort of chain of command or combined arms, they just seem like free for alls. Ok for fun factor, but hardly deserving all the fuss over 'realism'. Sorry real warfare just doesn't look like that. A stop action shooter would be interesting if it was done like WEGO where everyone is basically operating simultaneously, in a 3d environment where you could simulate some sort of chain of command, and get used out of planned combined arms.

Team Assault is a bit like that, I think if you merged Team Assault with Battlefield 3 you'd have a very interesting game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12