Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manuals

Abecedarian Mage

Manuals

I had a thought, thought I would share it.

Ok the in the box manual might be a dead idea what with electronic options now.

But I prefer real books to my readers. So I suppose a real manual is more fun than a reader here as well.

I've seen some of the included manuals of late, and I can't figure why you guys spend 10 bucks on them, and not 10 bucks at the local printer getting the often much nicer pdf version full colour deal instead?

You can't say it's the added price, you just dropped 10 bucks on a piddly little manual crammed on a dvd case after all. Likely not in colour too. And yes I know you also get a disc. Come on boys, are you saying you can't copy a downloaded file to a disc yourself?

Anyway the original observation is because I see soooo many after game purchased hint guide books released for all the mainstream games out there, and they cost on average a good bit more than 10 bucks too. No one seems to be crying about buying those. I realize not everyone buys them, but not everyone wants a wargame manual too.

I've seen a couple of wargame manauls printed out in colour. The Battles in Normandy one the other half got printed out from the pdf file was really impressive. I have also seen a Panzer Campaigns manual done in colour too. Some manuals are sufficiently brief that they are just not going to cost enough to cry over. And printers can print and bind them and make them look really good at full 11x8.5 size too.

Thinking of getting Panzer Corps and Team Assault printed out for Father's day as a treat for him.

Why do you guys make such a mountain out of a mole hill on this issue?
    Please don't go on about how cool it is I like wargames. It gets old.
    Some of my comments are just me parroting his bitching.

Administrator Administrator
    To be honest it doesn't bother me. Would be great to go back to the old days with great big manuals, I remember the first CM coming out with a cracking think manual (still have it), also HTTR had a pretty good manual aswell. Then the flight sims came with manuals and that cardboard thing that used to fit over you keyboard so you knew what keys did what (now I really miss them, more so than any manual in a flight sim) and a map.

However I only buy digital download really these days. I may buy something boxed from Amazon if it's super cheap.

I'd love to have a reader though to read the manuals, I just can't afford it.

Abecedarian Mage
    You liked the HTTR manual? I say because he has it, and it is crummy. Looks like I accidentally washed it. That and it's too small. Well I am assuming you mean the one from the box.

The CM manual was ok, at least they got a real printer to print it.

But still, 8.5x11 always trumps paper back sized. That, and they sit flat if you have them spiral bound.

Mage’s Assistant
    Personally, I have printed a lot of manuals at home. Still, they are vastly inferior to the old in-box manuals. I think that what people are missing the most is high quality manuals like the ones from Microprose's games.
    Personally, I'm not buying much modern games nowadays - only the select few that are considered the best of the best which they preferably demonstrate by having a demo. If I have to pay an equivalent of folding 3300+ newspapers while sniffing printing paint for a game, I'd rather buy myself a vintage game that comes with a box and a manual.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

I know the HTTR manual came in for stick, however I didn't see the problem at all, all you needed to know in it though abit small I suppose but better than the 4 page manuals you get today. I suppose you could say I thought the people moaning about the HTTR manual at the time where making a mountain out of a molehill

The first Combat Mission manual was huge and went into great detail, infact the one I have is one of the best manuals I've seen in a game.

The recent CMx2 manual was OK aswell, but again people moaned because of the size.

I'd never bothered printing manuals the times I owned a printer as they eat up way to much ink, and small savings here and there add up.

Again I'd be happier with an E Reader.

Abecedarian Mage
    I lost the love of having a printer almost immediately. It usually costs a few bucks at a professional shop, but you end up with a print out worth having at least.

Mage’s Assistant
    I use a laser printer. High quality printing and one toner is enough for some 2000 pages.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

I bought an Epson Stylus SX445w wifi All in one last week reduced from 107 to 49. Hopefully here tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-Stylus...8412732&sr=8-9

Thing is going to a printers, it would cost me most likely 20 pounds in travel just to get there and back.

Abecedarian Mage
    Where the heck do you live? I live in a small town, and yet we have 3 major printers with walking distance.

Neophyte Sorcerer
    All this talk about the old days and big manuals is making me nostalgic.I remember the old SSI games,big boxes,big manuals,the Kampfgruppe manual even had a short story at the end of it,happy days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast