Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manuals

Abecedarian Mage
    Ever seen the Steel Panthers World at War manual printed out? It's holy crap that could stop an 88 round

Some games have a lot to say and some games almost nothing I suppose.
    Please don't go on about how cool it is I like wargames. It gets old.
    Some of my comments are just me parroting his bitching.

Adept Sorcerer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemmo View Post
    All this talk about the old days and big manuals is making me nostalgic.I remember the old SSI games,big boxes,big manuals,the Kampfgruppe manual even had a short story at the end of it,happy days.
    I remember when the weight of the box was a measure of how good the game was!! I literally didn't buy many games because when I picked up the box, the manual inside did not seem very heavy.

I love a physical manual. I like to take the PDF to Kinko's and get it printed spiral bound. Usually costs less than the $10 they charge and its much better. Spiral means you can lay it flat on any page.

I like to go back and forth between playing and reading. It seems its an iterative process. If I just read the manual front to back then by the time I finish, I've forgotten the first half of it and when I sit down to play I'm lost!

Instead, I read a couple chapters, then play till I run into a roadblock. Then look up the issue in the manual. Then play some more.
    Lather, rinse, repeat...

Abecedarian Mage
    Gord you seem to mirror my thoughts.

He chuckled when I mentioned the box weight comment. He responded ahh the good ole days of board games in boxes, and they had such pleasing heft. That was part of what got him to buy Squad Leader, that box had so much weight in it.

I've seen manuals for industry greats like Civilization, Heroes of Might and Magic, and games like those. The books were nicely bound and in colour admittedly, but they were usually small just the same. The first Combat Mission book was nice, but again, it still wouldn't compare to just taking it to a printer and getting much bigger and spiral bound.

The kids regularly drop bundles of cash on their actiony games and they buy the fancy guide books, and don't even seem to care that they will burn out the game in a blaze of all day all week gaming till the game is finished off. Then it's often off to the store to trade in for a rip off rate to get the next game. I've only met one gamer that cherishes the games enough to lovingly display them on a shelf.

When I see some of the old buggers whining about a few extra bucks spent on a game they are ok with talking all the time about, I have to wonder about mixed signals. Do they really like that game or not? If it's so great, why cry so loudly over the price being 5 bucks more? Are old men just incapable of being anything other than cheap Heck you guys are the ones with the cash, not the kids.
    Please don't go on about how cool it is I like wargames. It gets old.
    Some of my comments are just me parroting his bitching.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12