Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HPS Sims Squad Battles series

Arcane Candidate

HPS Sims Squad Battles series

Hi

Do you like HPS Sims Squad Battles series? I am a fun of WinSPWW2 and WinSPMBT and I wonder if I can get more functionality or fun with this series. Can you compare them?

Administrator Administrator
    I used to be a SB fan actually I still am. I went back and revisited them around Xmas just to do a graphic mod I'd always wanted to do for AOTR and RV which I'm quite proud off to be honest. However my issue with the games are certain abstract mechanics really start to niggle and then that constant niggle becomes a big one and in the end I stopped playing. The main issues for me where the abstract nature of ammo which is worked out by effectiveness of a weapon which drops everytime you fire, now the issue here is at 50% effectiveness your MG 42 is firing peas, same for every weapon. Worse when your dealing with Modern Warfare aswell as your lethal weapons can end up useless after a couple of fires. I'd rather see an ammo count in percent and say three different options when firing ie full,semi,single which really would mean heavy fire medium fire and low fire and this would conserve your ammo but you can still fire at full effectiveness right down to the last bullet if you kept firing at full. Next issue was no multi level buildings. Final thing was armour is to abstracted (not to much of a biggy for me except the effectiveness\ammo issue). Many complain about the 3D graphics but I prefer 2D and with the graphic mods out there it looks pretty good (choose mine if you buy one of the EF titles)

Saying all that though if you PBEM then I'd still highly recommend them, choose a theater\war (WARNING: I'd stay away from Modern War and really anything post Vietnam, though Falklands may be OK as it was more an Infantry battle and SB really is about INf)

Arcane Candidate
    I don't have a copy, that's why I'm interested if I could experience something not included in WinSP games. I think I'll skip. WinSPWW2 tracks every round for tanks (and differences between various types), what is important for tanks like IS-2 with 28 rounds total.

If you're interested in a small WinSPWW2/WinSPMBT PBEM I could prepare a battle. I have no strong preferences for a force or side.

Abecedarian Mage
    Aside from game mechanic dynamics differences, you likely would feel more comfortable staying with the Steel Panthers evolution of the squad battle scale.
    Please don't go on about how cool it is I like wargames. It gets old.
    Some of my comments are just me parroting his bitching.

Administrator Administrator
    Well thats another reason I packed in SB I just don't play PBEM anymore. Mainly as I hate having to do turns even if I didn't feel like playing, I think I have commitment issues sometimes. Also I'm to busy these days to again commit to PBEM games.

I do love WinSPWW2 though.

Joan might be up for a battle with you though. Joan?

Abecedarian Mage
    Heheh no I think I have the same commitment troubles there Jason.

I'm currently wandering around having trouble finding something I want to do.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRimmer View Post
    Well thats another reason I packed in SB I just don't play PBEM anymore. Mainly as I hate having to do turns even if I didn't feel like playing, I think I have commitment issues sometimes. Also I'm to busy these days to again commit to PBEM games.

I do love WinSPWW2 though.

Joan might be up for a battle with you though. Joan?
    Man oh man, how did I miss this post. Talk about someone need some psychological help. I mean, Jason, dude, how can you ever play any game???

Abecedarian Mage
    Just occurred to me "Mainly as I hate having to do turns even if I didn't feel like playing" I have actually heard MMO players lament about 'needing to raid' and not really wanting to play at that moment, but were basically expected to be there by the guild.

The moment you consider a game a chore, well you've done something wrong

Neophyte Sorcerer
    The moment you find a game a chore it's time to find another game to play.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan d'Arc View Post
    Just occurred to me "Mainly as I hate having to do turns even if I didn't feel like playing" I have actually heard MMO players lament about 'needing to raid' and not really wanting to play at that moment, but were basically expected to be there by the guild.

The moment you consider a game a chore, well you've done something wrong
    One of the main reasons why I never got into MMORPGs.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast