Thread: AB_Wonderland - Attack on the Castle Green Hill - Stage One - Artillery Duel

Mage’s Assistant

AB_Wonderland - Attack on the Castle Green Hill - Stage One - Artillery Duel

A conflict between two small kingdoms. The kingdom of Green Hill and the kingdom of Gray Harbour. The Grayharbourians are attacking the Castle Green Hill.
    The defending force:
    - 4 Infantry Battalions
    - 4 Rotary Gun Sections
    - 2 Artillery Batteries
    - 4 Forts

The attacking force:
    - 2 Guards Infantry Regiments
    - 6 Rotary Gun Sections
    - 2 Artillery Batteries
    - 1 Armoured Frigate Squadron
    - 1 Monitor
    - 1 Gunboat
    - 1 Gunboat Squadron

Initial deployment.

Artillery targets two Armoured Frigates.

I limit the engagement ranges of the Artillery Batteries for hard targets so that they'd fire at the enemy artillery instead at the ships. I doubt they can destroy the ships and it would be good to silence the enemy guns.

The southern Fort destroys an enemy Gunboat.

The southern Fort destroys another Gunboat.

The north-central Forts is knocked out.

The south-central Fort is knocked out.

The southern Fort destroys another Gunboat. It seems to be doing quite well.

The two remaining enemy Gunboats destroy the southernmost Fort.

Meanwhile the Artillery Batteries managed to rout two enemy guns.

Finally, the enemy ironclads hit one of the firing ports of the northern Fort and destroy it.

Enemy infantry gets into the firing range of the forward infantry companies. Meanwhile I remove the range restriction from hard targets for the Artillery Batteries as they stopped firing at enemy guns and started firing at the enemy infantry.

The forward infantry line is breaking.

The Artillery Batteries are out of ammo. Thus, the Artillery Duel stage is over. All my Forts are destroyed. The enemy Armoured Frigates are lightly damaged. It's possible that one or both of them are immobilized.
    The Forts have endured several minutes of heavy fire and most of them got destroyed only after a few hits to their firing ports. Ironically the only one which wasn't destroyed by hit to the firing port, was the one which was being attacked by light gunboats with puny 42mm guns.
    Last edited by Perturabo; 06-07-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

Administrator Administrator
    What do the squares represent? Having no idea on how the game plays it's confusing as to what is what. Maybe start a new thread with screenshot breakdowns.

Mage’s Assistant
    The colour-filled squares are infantry units - apparently that's how they used to be represented before the "x" (probably crossed rifles) got adopted. Squares with "/" represent cavalry units. The squares with a crossed I represent artillery. The ones with a boat shape represent landships - colour-filled boat represents an ironclad. The squares with rectangles represent forts.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."