Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where will the next great war be fought?

Abecedarian Mage

Where will the next great war be fought?

Ok Iraq (oops had wrong country) sure as hell doesn't count as a war. It was the US kicking a wounded dog if it was anything. That so many soldiers have come back in boxes is more about the US not knowing when to stop screwing around than anything else.

A-stan is just a good place to get all your gear worn out. That worthless realestate has been beating on super powers for centuries now (yes actually has been centuries).

The question is where will the next REAL war be fought? I'm talking REAL war here. Not hundreds of dead over several years, I'm talking hundreds of thousands of dead and major destruction. Or depending on your choice it could always be millions.

My money is on China and someone else. Their country is playing at 1980s level of spending ie wasteful dreamland levels of wastage. When their bubble bursts it's going to be ugly. Their country is becoming massively polluted, desertified and running out of water in addition to being a nation of way to many single males with no real value to the state.

North of them is the great swath of forest and WATER. South of them is the state of India and they are billions of people heading for a water shortage. And India doesn't like China. Thing is India absolutely hates Pakistan and they all have nukes. The US and the Taiwan question, frankly if the US sticks it's nose into that mess, they SHOULD get beaten to a pulp. Can't think of a dumber place to make a stand. If they think 1950-1953 was rough they haven't seen anything yet.

I'm not willing to go with Middle East anything. Arabs must be somehow genetically incapable of fighting with any brains. And besides, their people seem to hate their leaders more than Israel lately. Middle Eastern doomsday ideas only make sense in religious books that need it for a reason for an end times scenario that belongs in the fantasy section.
    Last edited by Joan d'Arc; 06-09-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Funny error
    Please don't go on about how cool it is I like wargames. It gets old.
    Some of my comments are just me parroting his bitching.

Administrator Administrator
    Joan don't you mean Iraq? Iran hasn't happened yet.

Any War against N Korea is would be tagged with a massive casualty list. I think NATO have done estimates and it was in the 100,000 in the first few months IIRC.

China we'd get booted everywhere.

So I can't see a War happening against them anytime son. What will happen is when the fuel starts to run out small scale wars will escalate into a huge war and then the sh1t has hit the fan.

Actually edit that about N Korea see below..

"In recent years Pentagon experts have estimated that the first ninety days of such a conflict might produce 300,000 to 500,000 South Korean and American military casualties, along with hundreds of thousands of civilian deaths. The damage to South Korea alone would rock the global economy."

Mage’s Assistant
    To be honest, I suspect that there simply won't be another great war between superpowers. Mostly because no matter what economic and humanitarians problems there will be, nuclear war would make them only worse.
    And fuel running out igniting a large war? Any large war would require a massive use of fuel, so I don't see it happening.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

Abecedarian Mage
    People do things for odd reasons. But I am not so sure about India or China. They lack the self control barriers of the west.

China doesn't need to answer to it's people, and India, well religion does nasty things to people's ability to think straight.

I don't see anyone wanting to re visit Korea though. Yeah they have a large army, but the whole country knows the leader is an idiot. They are just unwilling to die telling him he is one. They might think differently though if told to throw away their life 'for dear leader'.

Quote Originally Posted by Perturabo View Post
    To be honest, I suspect that there simply won't be another great war between superpowers. Mostly because no matter what economic and humanitarians problems there will be, nuclear war would make them only worse.
    And fuel running out igniting a large war? Any large war would require a massive use of fuel, so I don't see it happening.
    True but they will be fighting for the last of the resources, or countries will be holding up others to ransom charging huge amounts for fuel. Also you can have a war with out using loads of fuel. We have nuclear power to keep factories going, no tanks or planes or ships..fair enough lets go WW1 Western front style then...

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRimmer View Post
    True but they will be fighting for the last of the resources, or countries will be holding up others to ransom charging huge amounts for fuel. Also you can have a war with out using loads of fuel. We have nuclear power to keep factories going, no tanks or planes or ships..fair enough lets go WW1 Western front style then...
    I think that at that stage, armies will be shooting their own countrymen, not other armies. Factories can be going without fuel but not logistics. I doubt there are enough horses for even keeping the cities supplied with food and for farming, so supplying a WW1 or Civil War style slaughter will probably be impossible.
    Last edited by Perturabo; 06-09-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    "And as the light embraces the wanderer,
    as knees bend as thought is obliterated,
    with the very moment that resistance has ceased,
    now, I am become death, the enemy of man."

Abecedarian Mage
    Not sure I buy the lack of fuel angle. There's more out there than I think most realise, the only thing keeping people from it is we are basically bloody cheap. When it costs more to get more, people will bellyache and then pay up.

But water is not something we can guarantee. And if we tip the balance ever so slightly, and it results in major crop failures from just a bit too warm globally, fuel will be the last thing on people's minds.

Eventually though it will all be gone...with the SUn only able to provide enough power to keep 1 billion people alive..we will be in trouble..

Abecedarian Mage
    Nothing is forever though. But as a species we simply think we are end of the journey. Nothing mankind has done to this planet is really as significant as they tell us. And where is it written that there needs to be so many of us? I value my own existence, but I am not foolish enough to think I am special.

Maybe we need a good all out epic war. It seems like it is the popular precusor to most science fiction stories at least.

HauRuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan d'Arc View Post
    Nothing is forever though. But as a species we simply think we are end of the journey. Nothing mankind has done to this planet is really as significant as they tell us. And where is it written that there needs to be so many of us? I value my own existence, but I am not foolish enough to think I am special.

Maybe we need a good all out epic war. It seems like it is the popular precusor to most science fiction stories at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast