Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little UI feedback

A little UI feedback

As some of you may know, I'm in the process of creating a turn based grand strategy game set in Europe in WWII.

I'm currently working on the unit production screen. Its almost done, but I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on the best way to implement city selection for unit builds.

I have a unit production screen. In it you can choose which units to build and what order to build them. You can also choose the deployment city which by default is the capital. If you want to change it, I have two schemes in mind:

1) A scrollable drop down list of cities to choose from. You simply scroll to the desired city, click on it and it updates the city assignment.
    2) The dialog dissapears, the map centers on the capital, and all of the candidate cities are highlighted in some way. You click on one of the cities and the dialog opens back up with the new city assigned.

Both schemes have their advantages.

The list is quicker and simpler and probably easier for changing large numbers of cities but it requires a good familiarity with the map.

The second option is more intuitive but could be a bit clunkier for many changes or when dealing with a very large country like Russia.

Just wondering what gamers think about these two options.

Abecedarian Mage
    I think you are thinking too much actually

Any reason you can't do both and have the choice imbedded in a master options menu?
    Please don't go on about how cool it is I like wargames. It gets old.
    Some of my comments are just me parroting his bitching.

Administrator Administrator
    I like the first but I'd like to be able to click a City and the screen canters on it.

Talking about UI's Achtung Panzer OS just released a patch and the UI takes up way to much screen space. Driving me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonRimmer View Post
    I like the first but I'd like to be able to click a City and the screen canters on it.

Talking about UI's Achtung Panzer OS just released a patch and the UI takes up way to much screen space. Driving me nuts.
    The problem is that at the lowest resolution 1024 x 768 this dialog covers the whole map. So if I'm going to have it center on a city, I really need to make the dialog close or people with limited screen space won't know where the city is.

Most of the time the UI will take up very little screen space and at any time the user can hit the 'H' key (hide) and it will hide all user interface elements. Hitting it again will bring them back. Most of the game can be played with the UI hidden. Its really only when you want to end your turn or open up one of the other dialog boxes that you need to bring it back.

Suicidal Angel Administrator doomtrader's Avatar
    If you can't do both, I'm for the second option.

Administrator Administrator
    If it can't center then I say the second aswell.

Thanks for the feedback all!

I came up with this slightly modified scheme:

When you click on a unit to send it to the production queue the dialog will disappear and all the cities you can build it in will be highlighted. However, instead of the centering on the capital, it will center on the last city you built a unit in. I think this solves the Russia problem as its much more likely you will build a bunch of units either in the same city you just used or close by. Otherwise, if you wanted to build a bunch of units in the south to fight off a drive towards Stalingrad, you would have to keep scrolling down each turn from Moscow which would be tedious.

Also, each city will show a number indicating the projected number of units expected to be built the same turn as the one you are currently building. This will help you figure out how to best distribute your units so you don't over stack a city (stacking limit is 6 ground units).

Mage’s Assistant
    I think option 2.

Just finished unit production. Here's a summary of how it works:

http://gswie.blogspot.com/

Arcane Candidate
    Looks good. Have you used an existing system as a base, or created every mechanism from scratch?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast