Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower

Manual

Thus far I have not been able to locate the game manual. Have searched hi & lo, in-game and in the game-files on HD. Given my ordinary lack of computer-savvy, could be I just don't know where to look? Would greatly appreciate an advisory. Thanks!

Suicidal Angel Administrator doomtrader's Avatar
    it should be in the main game folder:
    \Strategic War in Europe\manual\

I just did an uninstall and reinstall and the Manual is definitely not in the main game folder.

Also, the "tutorialEditor" is included as a text doc, but size is -- 0. IOW, it is a shell without any text.

This was purchased at Gamestop, so perhaps you can check this?

I tell you that I am really enjoying this new WW2 GS game -- reminds me of a good old boardgame, but it would help to have the manual. And, know how to edit.
    Last edited by Lion9; 07-05-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Weird.

Anyway, here is the link to the manual:
    http://www2.wastelands-interactive.c...WiE_Manual.pdf

Apprentice
    I also have the Impulse/Gamestop edition and i have the manual.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by doomtrader View Post
    Weird.

Anyway, here is the link to the manual:
    http://www2.wastelands-interactive.c...WiE_Manual.pdf
    Thanks for the quick link, doomtrader. Cool nick BTW.

Upshot, and according to the evidence at hand, there is a 50% chance of -- not getting the Manual if you buy from Gamestop.

IDK, perhaps they have it in for me? Something I did, or am now doing or, will do in future is anathema to them?

Now, if I might also have a link so that I can examine the tutorialEditor?

OTOH, I won't be using this feature for a couple weeks, at least, and I understand that there is a better Editor currently in development? If so, I would imagine that there will be instructions included with that? A different text doc?

And, I surely hope that IF we do get a new editor, we will be able to alter the OOBs and the map?

Have just now finished reading the Manual. VERY well done, kudos due to those who labored to create it.

First of all, I would suggest that everyone read this. VERY many interesting concepts and features. Which you would NOT know about unless you did in fact -- read the Manual.

This game is MUCH deeper than I initially imagined. LOTS of stuff going on "under the hood," so to speak.

OK, I have only played first game up to October of 1940. Once I have completed a full game, I can better and more completely comment on the superior, good, average and notso good aspects.

I have been playing wargames since the early 1960s. I bought almost all of Avalon Hill's games. My final favorites were Third Reich and A3R. Have also played many of the computer versions of WW2 GS. IOW, I've been around the gaming block, and back. Plenty of times.

My congrats to the Developer and the other Devs for providing a deep, well-conceived and simply elegant "grand strategy" hex-game! If you are only, or mostly concerned with glam-graphic-flash, then you are mssing the essential point -- to me, this is a board-game oriented on a computer screen. Lucky us.

I would recommend this one to my friends. Well, when it comes to PBEM, they immediately metamorph into -- my X-treme-game competitors.

**[disclaimer: no, I am not a beta-tester, and no, I am not related to any of the Devs. I don't own any other Wasteland titles. I am no retrograde fan-boy, nope, just an everyday average game player. Who happens to greatly favor the WW2 GRAND STRATEGY genre. FWIW! Sure, all of the above ++ ~3 bucks will get you a decent cuppa Joe! ]

Lion9,
    thanks for the kind words.

The manual is free to download for all of those customers who lost heir copy in the Internet's void.

tutorialEditor.txt file has got nothing to do wit the game editor.
    We are planning to release the Editor this month (we have got some delays, due to the patching of Time of Fury).

So far you can edit most of the game's files (except the map itself).

Arcane Candidate
    Make it 67%.

Bought version 1.02.003 about a week and half ago, using the GameStop app.

No manual. Was a bit surprised

Perhaps a problem that arose when the 1.02 patch went to GameStop/Impulse?

Quote Originally Posted by doomtrader View Post
    Lion9,
    thanks for the kind words.
    No problemo Senor. Us old grogs weren't placed on Earth (by Michael the Archangel I suspect) merely to be "moaning and complaining." In the French lingo franca. No, we are pleased to offer up DUE credit whenever that is deserved. In this case, it surely is. I'll eventually start a thread on ALL the great features you have conceived and implemented.

The manual is free to download for all of those customers who lost heir copy in the Internet's void.
    Thanks again. You know, I don't mean to denigrate "Gamespot." Their DL APP is righteous cool. You might want to place the Manual in their DL game so that there won't be ANY more consternation about this issue?

tutorialEditor.txt file has got nothing to do wit the game editor.
    We are planning to release the Editor this month (we have got some delays, due to the patching of Time of Fury).
    I am VERY much looking forward to your new Editor. As is normal I reckon it -- each serious game-player has unique preferences. They would like to have ANY WW GS game "tweaked" to personal satisfaction. Not to mention, create a competent and durable MOD and -- offer it to all of your extant, and, future customers.

So far you can edit most of the game's files (except the map itself).
    The map is more than good, it is near-sublime. I myself don't care for those "ersatz 3D" renderings, partial or compleat. I like this top-down view with simple, concisely-etched terrain and -- unit sprites that change with research advancement. However, several suggestions:

1) Eventually offer "NATO" sprites as an option.

2) Smooth or round-off the land-hexes that protrude into water-hexes? Not a major concern but it would be ideal if you could do that without undue hardship.

3) As mentioned in another thread, REDUCE the size of the ship/task-force sprites.

For instance, much of the "viewing area" for game-play -- is in Central Europe. You have to constantly look at HUGE ship sprites in the Baltic Sea, which tends to "distract the warrior-eye" from the more vital ground-game, see what I mean? I got my University degrees in Psychology and Art History. There is certainly a "Gestalt" and it matters HOW anything is perceived. Subconsciously if not consciously. Way too may game-makers PRESUME that what THEY personally like is something that the majority of gamers would -- necessarily (it's OK, it's normal to presume this) like. Not so.

4) Make a separate SEA ZONE for those Murmansk Convoys. Having ONE zone stretch from Narvik down and around to the English channel is not the best design, IMHO. IDK, about half-way up Norwegian Coast? Something like that anyhow.

Alright, I have reached the post-size limit. Eyes tend to glaze over after awhile. But, more on the map and very many other aspects/features -- later alligator!
    Last edited by Lion9; 07-07-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spellling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast