Thread: Ideas and Questions, Part I

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower

Ideas and Questions, Part I

I no longer have time to play incessantly, so I haven't actually finished a game. This is due to learning how things work, and also due to restarting so to change country difficulty levels in order to achieve reasonable balance. But, here are some questions and a few suggestions as well.

1) Would be nice to have "dug-in" level somewhere on the unit display

2) Kiel Canal? GErman fleets should have access to North Sea right from the start

3) Any chance we can have some (understated) combat sounds? With option to turn up, down or off

4) Any thought given to having Partisans represented? Russia and Yugo in particular.

5) Baltic vital-metals convoy, Sweden -> GErmany?

6) Ships should not be able to move in the same turn they are repaired, same as with land-based units

7) "Sleep" option for units? So they won't be incl when you use "next unit" cycling

8) If English Channel is indeed a separate zone, it is not apparent looking at the game-board

9) USA's CV "Ranger" appears too soon and too close to Euro coast; don't believe American early war policy permitted that?

10) Too easy to get Minors aligned; either the AI needs to attend to "counter-diplo" or the chance for success could be lowered? GErmany got Spain all 3 brief games I played

11) Minor Nations should not be able to buy Para force; some limit for all nations?

12) Air forces allowed to base in high Mountain hexes? Appreciate that no-stacking reduces available hexes, but it just doesn't seem right somehow

14) Seems as tho Leaders are too readily available; perhaps some expense or other method -- so that they are more likely to arrive gradually?

15) Where is Iceland? Minor matter, but the map should be complete

16) Given no stacking, which is fine by me -- shouldn't Air Forces have (maybe 70% chance?) ability to re-base when opposing armies are adjacent to their hex?

17) Would really like to see the weather sprites toned down some; as is they (esp Snow) make it hard to see the underlying units and hexes

------------------------------

Enough for now. More later.

18) The "Greek DoW" event occurs AFTER GErmany has already conquered

19) Could there be a pop-up whenever you get a research advance? Several times I have played a couple turns before realizing that my units were eligible for upgrade

20) Spain cannot DoW Portugal?

21) Once a unit is destroyed how about some % chance that the assigned Commander is injured or even killed? Mebbe this is already implemented, but in my 4 games so far, they always just return to HQ without incident or injury

22) Is there a penalty for France withdrawing units from Syria or Algeria? OK, "diplomatic game" is not yet finished, that it? Similarly, there could also be diplo-penalties (esp WRT USA entry) for either side conducting "aggressive" attacks?

23) Would be great if you had "around the horn of Africa" transport for Allies -- that's how most of the units got to Middle East
    Last edited by Lion9; 07-12-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spellling

1) Assuming you mean the unit display and not the counter it is already there - the Bonus number (upper right area of the unit display) mouse over the number and you will see the explanation "Trench Bonus"

14) Agree - I'm having a go at editing the commanders.csv file in Scenarios (starting with the 1939 scenario) to cut the number of commanders (specifically Ground and Air) by about half for each natiionality. Thus Germany will have 5 Ground and 3 Air commanders, with USSR 5G 2A, Great Britain 3G 3A, Italy 3G 1A etc.

17) Available with this mod http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978403
    Last edited by Wolfe1759; 07-12-2012 at 07:22 PM.

#24) Enuff of the friv frou-frou, time to get down to brass tacks. Saved this here one because it is one of the more important improvements that might be realized?

Instead of having a lot of "spawning" (note: if you play Axis, be sure to take Smolensk ASAP!) why not consider another feature? Implement a "production queue" or some easily accessed "reinforcement queue."

So, you could then have all those very many Commonwealth units arrive, in due historical time, in Egypt. Without them Indians and So Aficans, and Kiwi's and Aussies, the Axis would have probably taken Alexandria in 1941. IMHO. So you could have the better USSR units such as Siberian and Red Guards arrive in early 1942 instead of how it is now, IE -- as Axis player having to fight through massive numbers of a-historical Red units on the way to Moscow in summer & fall of 1941. [could also rely on the Allied AI to better utilize increased PPs due to rising war-prep?]

And too, you could then have Bismark arrive in August 1940, and another strat-bomber for UK in mid-to-late 1942, early '43. IOW, "help the AI" in a more reasonable way. The LESS "spawning" you have to do the better the game, as I see it. I can appreciate that "coding the AI" is THE greatest challenge/chore for game-designers and the programmers. But, in the end it is quite worthwhile because then you attract MANY more of the "old & new grogs" who can spread the good news by word of mouth.

Again, can we get more units by way of a "production queue" and/or a "reinforcement queue?" It's been commonly used since Avalon Hill's very first board game, eh?

#25) Need a simple hex design from the Graphics Guy, s'il vous plait. A canal, extending through the hex in each of the 6 hex-directions.

Can then be used for:

a) Kiel Canal-- all GErman fleets should have access to the North Sea from turn 1. All of 'em. Baltic fleet incl, nichts?

b) Suez Canal-- this should be better re-presented, si me hace. The 2 swamp tiles are are not gonna get it. Not for a first-class WW2 ETO GS game anyway. And that's the next goal, no? No se?

c) Any other Canal deemed appropriate at this scale. Smaller scale, sure, you could use a river, maybe. Or if any given creating cat is apt with "paint" or some other suchlike program, a wider canal of chosen devise.

#26) I think it would be better IF you would reduce the costs for research. As is, you have to invest a LOT of PP's to keep all your units, land air and sea, on an upward trend. Else the dreaded foe will soon enough have a combat advantage. Nobody likes to lose. That would run counter to evolution and "hard-wiring of the brain" eh?

As is, you don't really have ENOUGH $$$/PP's to purchase many of the more expensive units, such as Strat Bombers. At least, not in the games I have played. Mostly as Axis, but enough hot-seat to notice that UK and USSR and even USA (forget France, it's a lost cause from day one) cannot expand their on-board units, and so -- cannot expand their on-board stratagems. Seems to me that game players LIKE to have the full range of units -- to play around with.

#27) Currently you have the Air units MUCH more expensive than the Naval units. Strange thing to behold, yep, it is counter-inuitive, to put it mildly. And, you have over 300 naval vessels, but only a couple air units per Major Nation. Something odd here. Especially given the unit costs. Naval units (huge investment historically) should be more costly than Air units?

Well, as above, these skewed (maybe they are not, and IF not -- can you elaborate -- why not?) costs ALSO tend to restrict what you can buy. You can easily add many more ships to the existing 300+, but -- why and to what end?

Generally speaking, this seems to be -- a "naval game," as opposed to a land game, and that is not realistic nor ideal -- for a WW2 ETO GS game. Not to me, anyhow. Should be the other way 'round?

#28) Please separate the "air-strikes" that the typical WW2 ETO Carrier can conduct.

a) An "air-strike" against at-sea units
    b) An "air-strike" against land-based units

The same way that you have a separate and distinct "port attack."

Have mentioned this before, but ETO is not remotely like PTO when it comes to air-strikes against land targets. In PTO you had SMALL air-groups on the small islands. Thus, a CV would in fact be COMPARABLE to land-based air. And, would, occasionally, carry HE bomb-loads.

Not so in ETO. In the Atlantic and the Med, the land-based air was MUCH larger than any typical Carrier (UK almost exclusively). And so, UK Admirals would go far out of there way to avoid clashing with land-based air, such as Fleigerkorps X when it DOMINATED the central Med. Obliterated Malta, so much so that the Brits had to keep their subs underwater so they wouldn't be destroyed. Then, after the Greek fiasco, the land-based air sunk and damaged more than a few of the UK ships sent to cover the evacuation -- first from Greece, then from Crete.

Therefore, I would have a separate "air-strike" when attacking (at your great peril) a land unit in ETO. I'll even go this far -- I challenge anyone to find and link any instance where UK CV's actually caused much if ANY damage to ground units. I haven't found any such instance in all my readings, but hey -- coulda missed one.

#29) Have a research area for Industry/Production.

a) Simply implement another research area with appropriate cost. For -- somehow (yet TBD) increasing monthly production numbers.

b) Have a year-end adjustment of old basic calculation, which would be added to "base PPs" to establish a new base-calculation. IE, in December of each year a pop-up box would appear for each nation. You are given a choice to TRY (some random variables introduced, depending on existing industrial power, and of course, chance) to add a % of left-over PP's which would increase next year's base-line. Similar to how "Third Reich/A3R" did it.

#30) Be nice to have current monthly increase of PP's (in lieu of accessing reports each month) on the top of the screen. Where the TOTAL is located. So, you might have total of 150 with monthly increase of 60 indicated as follows: "150/60." Would give you a better idea of how much you could spend, and how soon.

#31) Winter War: Does not work correctly when you are playing Russia and the AI has Finland. You can select "attack" when the pop-up appears, and then proceed to do so. BUT, there is no end to the Winter War. It just goes on and on. Given Russia's combat strength relative to Finland, you can easily conquer that small nation fairly quickly. Perhaps better to have the war end after a couple turns? Either that or allow GErmany (as historical) to place a unit, or several units in Finland?

Diplomatic activity does not seem to allow one nation to offer a "cease-fire" and/or terminus to the current conlfict? Maybe that would work? Though, if I am Russia I will simply conquer Finland -- and take their resources, every time.

When both nations are controlled by the AI, the Winter War ends after several turns, with the Russians controlling more hexes in Finland. Anyway, some better conclusion should be considered, else Russia gains an easy conquest + PP's.

#32) I would probably add B.E.F corps to UK's at-start units (or, arriving as "reserve" unit). Giving UK the option of sending this unit to France.

Or, perhaps better? Have an event, a pop-up box asking UK player if he wishes to send BEF to France? If so there is a cost involved, say -- about 70% of current UK cost for buying a highest-research-level corps. If they decline, then -- nothing happens. If they accept the BEF unit is placed on a coastal hex in Flanders, where they were historically. Thereby needing about 3 turns to get to the port to evacuate early. And so, place them in France in March 1940?

#33) I would suggest adding low-level forts/fortifications to your default game. As follows:

Good to have:

Malta
    Gibraltar
    Leningrad
    Sevastopol
    Tobruk
    Mannerheim Line (this might well help to *solve* under-strengthed Finland's problem, IE -- trying to hold on against early-aggressive Russia)

And maybe:

London
    Monte Cassino
    Mareth Line

Any others you believe SHOULD, at least -- deter dedicated attack; as is, too many "historically-fortified" cities/hexes seem to fall a bit too easily
    Last edited by Lion9; 07-22-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: added data

#34) The editor has a slot for "artillery" in tech levels.

IF you edit this -- say, change France from "1" to "2," what effect does that have? Currently, most nations at-start either have 1 or 2. Presumably that makes some difference? But, what?