Thread: Game Mechanics I

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower

Game Mechanics I

Could be that I am not yet understanding how things work, but so far these issues remain a mystery:

1) I cannot get my Fighters to attack a ground unit. The Manual states that they should be able to do that.

2) Edit out

3) Elemental AI issue: France. Not only has too few units, but in 2 out of 3 games played, they did NOT garrison Paris. Seems as though a basic AI should, at least, ALWAYS garrison Capitals and Cities as well? They need to garrison Marseilles too. More units might solve this? Also, shouldn't France have one stand alone Armor unit @ start?

4) Seems as tho there needs to be "zone stacking limits." Italy, for example, has thus far ALWAYS formed a "killer stack" with all of their ships in Med sea-zone. 20+ surface ships and 20+ subs. Britain (then or always?) sends their Med Fleet to North Atlantic. Ipso, Italy dominates the Med. Not good.

5) GErman surface ships cannot bombard Copenhagen, which is in the SAME Baltic sea-zone. I've tried many times, but the button for bombardment never appears.

6) I cannot get the "no intercept" button to work. I click on it but nothing happens. No indication anywhere that the air unit has been grounded. This is important so that you won't have a low strength Fighter annihilated.
    Last edited by Lion9; 07-10-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: my mistake, pardon

I have edited out #2 above. I was looking in the wrong place for the strength/experience bars. Guess I am just too used to seeing them on the game-boad (other games I have played), whereas here in SWiE they are on the unit PIC. Pardon.

#3 & 4 have more to do with potential future game modifications, so never mind on those two. Tho, I might add -- not sure that stacking limits would be ideal solution; maybe more of an intrinsic-AI matter?

However, wouldn't mind getting a response for #s -> 1, 5 and 6, as they directly effect game play. Whenever anyone has a chance to tell me -- IF those features NOW work, or IF I am merely derelict in figuring out HOW they work. Thanks in advance.

1) Fighters cannot attack ground targets

From the manual

9.1.1 Fighters
    Fighters are allowed to attack enemy air units within a range for the unit’s level that are visible for the current player. Fighters cover nearby sea zones and ground forces within a range, and try to achieve air superiority over enemy air units, by intercepting them. Interception is done automatically by units with strength higher than 50% (this value is modifiable and might differ for some scenarios or campaigns).

As far as I can tell Fighters only effect on ground units is to establish Air Superiority which then allows Bombers to attack those units.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe1759 View Post
    1) Fighters cannot attack ground targets

From the manual

9.1.1 Fighters
    Fighters are allowed to attack enemy air units within a range for the unit’s level that are visible for the current player. Fighters cover nearby sea zones and ground forces within a range, and try to achieve air superiority over enemy air units, by intercepting them. Interception is done automatically by units with strength higher than 50% (this value is modifiable and might differ for some scenarios or campaigns).

As far as I can tell Fighters only effect on ground units is to establish Air Superiority which then allows Bombers to attack those units.
    Ah, so it is once AGAIN the case where I have not comprehended the plain English language. Pardon, I am sometimes error-prone. But, what's alright about that -- you can learn MORE from mistakes (yeh, keep trying) than you do from success.

Any notion on #s 5 & 6? Denmark will fall easily w/o bombadment, so that's jake-ok insofar as gameplay goes. Seems as though you SHOULD be able to bombard Copenhagen?

But, the button for "no intercept" just doesn't seem to work for me. Does it work for you?

6) No Intercept - as far as I can tell the NI button doesn't actually do anything (this may well be a bug) however if you click in the check box beneath it you will get an X (or delete it if it is there already) thus I believe turning No Intercept ON (or OFF) for that unit.

6) No Intercept - as far as I can tell the NI button doesn't actually do anything (this may well be a bug) however if you click in the check box beneath it you will get an X (or delete it if it is there already) thus I believe turning No Intercept ON (or OFF) for that unit.
    Appreciate it, Lobo, oops I mean Wolfe. And, for that kind-assistance, why -- I'll root for ol' Rory McIlroy to win the upcoming British Open. Sure, my whole X-tended family will -- roar for glory for -- Rory Mc-Il-roy!

You are from Northern Ireland, eh? O/W the above wouldn't apply.
    Last edited by Lion9; 07-12-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spelllling

Yep - I didn't think my accent showed on the forum

NI Flag.png

Yep - I didn't think my accent showed on the forum

NI Flag.png
    Righteous icon you put up there. Ain't seen one red-etched so fine in some while. Accent? Burry burry in-a-hurry brogue is like celestial-sounds summoned to ground, Lad, ain't it so, now? Well, you may not cotton to these old and new Irish heroes of mine -- JFK, politician WAY ahead of his time, alas, and Van Morrison ("Into the Mystic" and "Mysteries" are sublime) and WB Yeats the great poet ("Leda and the Swan" & "2nd Coming" are as good as short poetry gets). I got some a'that emerald-isle blood in me, well, that's no exception to the grand-design -- plenty of blarney-talkin' Americans -- do! lol!

Back on topic before the Norwegian Euro-noir detective -- Harry Hole -- (ol' Jo Nesbo, go go go!), comes callin' so to snatch my noir-Euro forum-permit... you know Lobo, I have grokked HOW to play a game. 'Least 'till I can fathom that Euro-noir Editor.

My principal objection is TOO MANY ships! So, I'll play it hot-seat (take all the Majors and some Minor powers) and @-start, why, I'll just use that deconstruct button and E-liminate HALF of the fleets. Maybe use World in Flames naval OOB. Will make the first turn a tad lengthy, but once that's done, I'll be good to go! Sure, then I won't see as much combat nor convoy disruption.

**Unless YOU know how to simply change that intercept % (what is it? 3 now?) to 9%???? If so, and if it is fair easy to do, well maybe you could send me an EM here?