Thread: MOD - Less Generals

MOD - Less Generals

Small mod that reduces the amount of Ground and Air Commanders for each nation by approximately half (i.e. Germany now has 5 Army and 3 Air Commanders)

To use

1. Make a copy of the Original commanders.csv in the scenario file you are going to mod, they are all the same but you will have to do this for each individual scenario file.

2. Copy and replace this file into the scenario folder you want to mod, again can be done for all but each will need to be done individually.

As the changes have been made proportionally for each nation it hopefully shouldn't change the general game balance greatly if at all.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe1759 View Post
    Small mod that reduces the amount of Ground and Air Commanders for each nation by approximately half (i.e. Germany now has 5 Army and 3 Air Commanders)

To use

1. Make a copy of the Original commanders.csv in the scenario file you are going to mod, they are all the same but you will have to do this for each individual scenario file.

2. Copy and replace this file into the scenario folder you want to mod, again can be done for all but each will need to be done individually.

As the changes have been made proportionally for each nation it hopefully shouldn't change the general game balance greatly if at all.
    Thanks for this.

At first a question if I might?

If you only going to play the '39 Scenario let's say -- do you STILL have to replace the file for every single scenario? If so, why so?

Insofar as commanders -- I hope you kept the correct ratio WRT commander ratings? For each Nation. I would guess that you did, but not certain until you say so. The way I would do it is add up the total of commander rating points and divide by 2. Then select commanders who's ratings closely approximate the new base-line.

Better if we had a "production queue" and/or some method to add "reinforcements' to each scenario? Say, like those Commenwealth units from South Africa and India and Australia/New Zealand. Which arrived in Egypt later in the war.

That way commanders could be introduced gradually and not ALL available at-start.

Well, this is better than what we had.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Well, yay hurray! At least I have gotten an INDIRECT answer WRT how to "mod" the csv files. Thanks to Wolfe's small post that I have quoted. Why doomtrader or anyone else couldn't have just said straight out and stand-up:

1) Go to the scenario folder enclosed in "Data"
    2) Open that folder
    3) Edit the list, using the very partial and slight explanation at the top of the list, IE, sometimes hard to determine what some of those column numbers actually mean, que no?
    4) Either copy and replace the file for each scenario or only the one you will be playing? (still not clear, to me anyhow)
    5) Important: make a copy of the original file so you can put it back the way it was should your editing prove to be poorly conceived or idiotly accomplished

What's so hard? To come on board and let ANYBODY know how to do this elemental editing routine -- without screwing-up the game? What, it is assumed that all the game-players have the power of divining EXACTLY how this particular editing works? Crimeney.
    Last edited by Lion9; 07-13-2012 at 01:41 AM.

Suicidal Angel Administrator doomtrader's Avatar
    Thanks for this.

At first a question if I might?

If you only going to play the '39 Scenario let's say -- do you STILL have to replace the file for every single scenario? If so, why so?
    You have to replace the file only in the scenario you wish to play.

Also you don't have to replace the files in original scenarios.
    Just make a copy of the one you wish to mod. Change the name of the scenario folder and change the name and path in info.ini file within the scenario you have created. You have brand new campaign.

In fairness to Doomtrader he has been very helpful in providing Mod advice, for example http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2981236 most of which will be applicable to SWIE.

Quote Originally Posted by doomtrader View Post
    You have to replace the file only in the scenario you wish to play.

Also you don't have to replace the files in original scenarios.
    Just make a copy of the one you wish to mod. Change the name of the scenario folder and change the name and path in info.ini file within the scenario you have created. You have brand new campaign.
    Thank you, appreciate it.

Now, I am going to start a new thread on this Mod-topic because I don't wish to hi-jack Wolfe's thead. Well, any more than I already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe1759 View Post
    In fairness to Doomtrader he has been very helpful in providing Mod advice, for example http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2981236 most of which will be applicable to SWIE.
    You know Lobo Wolfe, doomtrader HAS in deed been "fair" and quite helpful besides. From what I have gathered here and yonder, that seems to be his nature. No, I have no complaints.

Say hey, one useful "mantra" I grew up with here in the 60s Wild West, USA, was like so -- QUESTION EVERYTHING. And so I still do, and also, I TRY to be fair and helpful my ownself. Yeh, each of us writes/speaks their piece in a unique fashion and so long as there are not personal attacks or other violations of "forum-decorum," fair enough all around the Town, eh?

You have provided a fine link, and I have surveyed it and internalized some of it, so thanks for that! Would have been nice to see such a link back when I was originally inquiring about -- where is ANY info on how to use this Editor? Ah, no matter, I stick a finger in the mountain-Wind Mariah, and -- yep, it's alright, the blow-back, it's cool.

Anyhow, moot it may all be -- should doomtrader provide that new and better Editor here in this very month of July 2012, as he has said he might very well do. Now THAT would be the Cat's yowl-meow!