Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Editor for Strategic War in Europe released

Suicidal Angel Administrator doomtrader's Avatar

Editor for Strategic War in Europe released

The editor for Strategic War in Europe has been released.

This powerful and user friendly tool allows to edit and modify existing scenarios.
    It also allows to create completely new maps, set up new game rules, change in game modifiers, units' stats and attributes.

Try it to get completely new game experience.

Strategic War in Europe editor is available here:
    http://www2.wastelands-interactive.c...SWiEEditor.exe

It will be also attached to the 1.03 patch

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower
    Way to go doomtrader! Should be a grand thing to behold!

Am already playing a pretty good game and MIGHT wait for 1.03 patch, so I have 3 quick questions for you:

1) Any idea just now when the new patch will be released, oh -- just a rough idea?

2) Will you include a "help file" or some primer, or somehow someway a better explanation of how the new editor works, and what various list-ID#s are?

3) Can you mention what will be included with the next patch -- kind of a preview of upcoming FAB-u-losities?

Suicidal Angel Administrator doomtrader's Avatar
    1) this month

2) take a look at the guide attached to this thread: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3081822

3) sure:

[v1.03]
    --Fixed
    Corrected issues with calculating supply delivered by convoys to the units

--Features
    Possibility to lock maximum effectiveness for land units. Country customizable through consts.ini files

--OOB
    Naval OOB has been updated

--Others
    Updated version of the scenarios
    Added web links in the main menu

Appreciate it.

Curious to see what you do with those Naval OOBs. Still would like to have an option for full OR partial deployment (about 1/2 of full).

Ah BTW, yep, had a quick look (before my afternoon snooze, you know how it has to be?) at your new Editor and it is VERY well done! Man, I shoulda waited before doing my naval mod? Nah, it's good to know how an old thing works, through and through, before you begin to master the next new thing.

Anyway, kudos all around the Town! High desert or North South East West and -- Central-Euro!
    Last edited by Lion9; 07-18-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Some tweaks are needed. Not surprising, as any new roll-out will have accidental/unintended flaws.

1) I get a freeze-frame (computer is less than 6 months old;Windows7) when I try to name and place new cities. Have to cntrl-alt-delete in order to get out of the program. Followed by CTD -- and start over. No matter how I try to use the cities function. Give it a try, see what happens.

2) Any way to have the default cursor be less intrusive -- a mind of it's own! It wasn't ME who accidentally placed that terrain tile in the middle of the Med Sea! Seriously, just messing around with it and every single time I have inadvertently placed UNWANTED terrain.

3) Also, it is VERY hard to determine country borders/boundaries. Where is the clearly denoted dividing-line? Wanted to place city of Batum down near Turkish border and I could not tell where Turkey ended and Russia began.

4) Those current graphics are garish (umm, half-3D and half-something else?) and unclear -- hard to differentiate between terrain-types, and hardly in keeping with already established ideal, IE -- simple, straightforward and concisely-etched. Why aren't the default (not modded in) graphics used? <shrug>

5) Finally, the buttons where you select what to edit are TOO SMALL. Can you make a bit bigger and have the symbol -- more easily understood? Also, the hover feature doesn't work very well.

O/W, she is looking pretty doggone good!

Haven't had time to try all features, so will let you know IF anything else becomes troublesome.
    Last edited by Lion9; 07-19-2012 at 02:00 PM.

2) take a look at the guide attached to this thread:
    Apparently, according to the guy who authored the doc (why not you?) you need WinRar to open the thing. But, I don't have WinRar and don't really wish to clutter-up my HD with a program that I might use once every leap-year. Nor be reminded every day that I need to buy it.

Could you grab that doc -- assuming it is the ONLY "help-file" -- and re-package it into a commonly used zip file? That would be great, at least until YOU (who would know more about the Editor than anybody else) can write-up a better one.

Several new issues:

1) If you assign a LEADER to a designated "in reserve" unit, that leader is NOT removed from the force pool. You can then assign the same leader to a different on-board unit. I have not done that (only noticed that you CAN do it) because I *susupect* that the program check-sys would discover this anomaly and cause a crash?

2) In the new Editor: When editing the "database," and in the Air Units section -- IF you click on the "reserve?" box, the co-ordinates do not change. IE, they should change to [-1,-1] but do not. The "reserve" box for land units does work OK -- the editor does change them to [-1,-1].

3) As mentioned previously, the "cities" editor box is quite hyper-erratic. Sometimes you can get a city placed OK (and establish a connection, and put down RRs) but I mostly end up with a freeze-frame. Perhaps this has to do with how and when you click particular boxes? There is apparently a definite "sequence" you have to follow, but I cannot yet determine what that is. IOW, I got a city on the board one time out of 6 tries (NOTE: and yet, it did NOT have a corresponding city-sprite or icon on the map). Perhaps try to make this whole sequence more secure and intuitive? If you play around with it you'll see what I mean.
    Last edited by Lion9; 07-22-2012 at 02:42 PM.

More issues.

1) The zone-of-control (ZOC) is not working. I have edited my mod so that Armor corps has ZOC=2, and Armor army has ZOC=3. And yet, I have watched -- over and over, to my personal satisfaction -- units completely disregard the ZOC. For one instance -- a French infantry with movement of 3, simply moves 3 spaces -- directly between 2 GErman armor corps. Shouldn't it be the case that each and every hex around this modified Amor uniit have a movement COST of 2?

2) I have reduced the number of ships by one-half. I have, at your suggestion, doubled the "engagement" chance from 30 to 60. And yet, in my current game (into 1942) there is hardly ANY sea combat. I can think of only 2 or 3 instances when a ship got casualties. Therefore, there MUST be something else that needs to ALSO be changed. Like maybe -- "detectability of naval units?" And/or -- "detecting enemy fleets?" IDK, but it seems that it would be QUITE ideal IF you would be a bit more helpful with the old and new editor? Could be I am asking for too much? OK.

3) I have seen units arrive (usually by event) that have a HIGHER combat-level than the relevant nation actually has achieved. Such as Afrika Korps armor arriving in Egypt @ L-3, when GErmany only has L-2 in armor. Alright, it is proto-type in advance of mass construction. See, THESE are the kinds of things that could be better explained in a Editor "help" or a simple text-doc? No?

4) When you add sea-nodes to existant or modded map, what do the following mean? NEED to be?

a) Player position
    b) Enemy position
    -------------------------------------

[edit out: moved to another thread, a kind of grog-blog]
    Last edited by Lion9; 07-24-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doomtrader View Post
    This powerful and user friendly tool allows to edit and modify existing scenarios.
    It also allows to create completely new maps, set up new game rules, change in game modifiers, units' stats and attributes.
    I tried to mod a copy of the 1939 scenario, I edited the file consts.ini both with the editor that with notepad changing [ImpulsesPerMonth] to 2 for every month and [AttackCost] to 2 for every WarfareLevel but loading the scenario all the months have just one turn and every attack costs only 1 AP (and yes, I am sure that I loaded the modded scenario because I changed his name)...

Quote Originally Posted by JMass View Post
    I tried to mod a copy of the 1939 scenario, I edited the file consts.ini both with the editor that with notepad changing [ImpulsesPerMonth] to 2 for every month and [AttackCost] to 2 for every WarfareLevel but loading the scenario all the months have just one turn and every attack costs only 1 AP (and yes, I am sure that I loaded the modded scenario because I changed his name)...
    Forgot it, I edited the file Info.ini and the scenario is working now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast