Thread: Some Editor Questions

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower

Some Editor Questions

1) I notice that you have a line-item for "In Reserve." What does that mean?

2) There is another line-item for "Availabilty Turn." Does that mean that I can designate which turn any given unit arrives? [1... 70 -- this is also true for land and air units
    Could I get a response to these 2? Bitte schoene.

Important to know IF we can have -- later-arriving units. Or not, as the case may be. But, IF not, then -- can you implement? This feature alone would be a great and X-tremely valuable addition. To what is shaping up to be -- one (potentially) superior WW2 ETO GS game.

Suicidal Angel Administrator doomtrader's Avatar
    1) I notice that you have a line-item for "In Reserve." What does that mean?
    this means that the unit is in force pool, ready to be deployed

2) There is another line-item for "Availabilty Turn." Does that mean that I can designate which turn any given unit arrives? [1... 70 -- this is also true for land and air units
    this value informs, after how many turns the unit will be available.

Thanks! My mod has reached the (ever-expanding) point where I wish to add units later in the game, such as the Aussies in Egypt.

I am going to PRESUME 2 things here; if I am mistaken, please correct.

a) For a unit that is to arrive -- let's say, July 1940 (Bismark), you would count as follows: 4 months in 1939 + 7 months in 1940 = turn #11? That exactly right?

b) You are using 1= YES, and 0= NO for the question for item #14 (in reserve?) on the unit text-line, IE, "1" entered= the unit IS in reserve, and 0= it is not? Or is it default "0"= yes and "-1"= no?

And, one vital-to-know QUESTION if I may -- let's say I want to have some USSR "reserve corps" activated -- WHEN USSR is invaded.

Well, no telling when that will be. What turn# I mean. So, does turn# for INACTIVE Nations (majors and minors not yet attacked or in the war at-start) become the month they are invaded after a DoW, OR -- what? Seems as though it would have to be turn of invasion. Either that or you simply cannot place any "reserve armies/corps/air forces" at all? Seems as though you could NOT simply have these "reserve units" from the beginning, else USSR could place them on turn #2, or Oct of 39, true?
    Last edited by Lion9; 07-19-2012 at 06:38 PM.

a) For a unit that is to arrive -- let's say, July 1940 (Bismark), you would count as follows: 4 months in 1939 + 7 months in 1940 = turn #11? That exactly right?
    if the math is good then yes,
    you can also add those units via events.

b) You are using 1= YES, and 0= NO for the question for item #14 (in reserve?) on the unit text-line, IE, "1" entered= the unit IS in reserve, and 0= it is not? Or is it default "0"= yes and "-1"= no?
    1 in reserve
    0 not in reserve

Well, no telling when that will be. What turn# I mean. So, does turn# for INACTIVE Nations (majors and minors not yet attacked or in the war at-start) become the month they are invaded after a DoW, OR -- what? Seems as though it would have to be turn of invasion. Either that or you simply cannot place any "reserve armies/corps/air forces" at all? Seems as though you could NOT simply have these "reserve units" from the beginning, else USSR could place them on turn #2, or Oct of 39, true?
    An easy event must be made then.
    If USSR is at war with country X, then add those units

Thanks for those helpful responses doomT.

I can get the ground and sea units in reserve, but NOT -- the air forces.

When I type in "1"= yes for reserve, and the desired turn-of-arrival in the text-line, it just doesn't work. I can place air units at-start, but not in reserve. I have tried every possible combination, to include [0,0] for co-ordinates.

Your check-sys program simply does not accept something or other. The error log seems to indicate a problem with the X,Y co-ordinates. Even though I ensure that I am placing -- on an empty hex (as you MUST do with ground units), it just doesn't scan. What to do? Or, is it a bug. Now, I am quite sure the entire text-line is O/W clean and according to your header instructions. Perhaps you can test this? At least, to then tell me I am not going totally bonkers?

Awhile back I had wondered-aloud -- IF I reduce the number of ships by one-half, which I have done, THEN I would need to also double the "engagement" chance, from 30 to 60. In order to maintain the same number of casualties in the game.

Now I am wondering -- do I ALSO need to fiddle around with the "convoy interception" number? IE, change it from current "5" to "???" 10 maybe? Don't know, which is why I am asking. Best guess -- yep, I also need to DOUBLE that. Again, from 5 to what?

While we are on this topic -- what is "reduce raider losses?" As implemented, you have default "5" for every single ship type. Which means, I guess -- that you yerself didn't know WHAT to do with this? JK! doomT!

you have to type -1|-1 for reserve units coordinates

Quote Originally Posted by doomtrader View Post
    you have to type -1|-1 for reserve units coordinates
    OK, thanks for that. Wondered why my mod (been working on it 40+ hours by now, oh yea verily) would freeze-up after placing a "reserve unit." Now I know. Would NOT have known unless you would tell me. And so you have. Thanks for that.

Funny thing happened awhile ago. I placed the B.E.F. in southern England and it split into two (2) identical units. The game engine, apparently not so charmed that it had two units a-board with identical nomenclature, froze up, yep, it did. See, lacking detailed information, I HAD to assume things. That you would put actual REAL numbers in the "co-ordinate X & Y" text-line. Wrong. You put [-1,-1]. Ah, well, let's try it now, see what happens!

BTW doomtrader: I had a friend DL that "editor guide" file (as it was WinRar and as mentioned -- I don't need it so I don't DL it) and repackaged it and sent it to me today and you know? It provides "lists" that I had been imploring somebody to provide for weeks now, that's to the good. And, it does help -- a scootch -- with the "consts" file, but I had already pretty much figured that out by trial & error and Sherlock Holmsian deduction.

O/W, it hasn't answered ANY of the many other specific questions I have posed on this board. About the Editor. On that topic, the "guide file" is direly... quiet. Well, all things -- in due good time, eh?
    Last edited by Lion9; 07-21-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Arcane Candidate
    Ok I'm new to this game as I have just bought it today,initial signs are good thou,my interest is in all things naval,so I will be looking to use the editor alot,by the way Lion9 I think you have a kindred spirit here,been reading your posts most interesting,one problem I have with the game is the number of naval unit types,I would like to add Light Cruisers + Destroyers at least to that list.Light cruisers as individual ships,Destroyers as a Flotilla of between 4 - 6 ships,I do hope this can happen in the future of this very interesting game.

PS. Lion9 War at Sea by Avalon Hill was my introduction to strategy gaming,I see you liked it to from one of your earlier post!