Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Spell System

I am leaning strongly toward yes in that particular example. Life and death don't play well together. However, you be able to take circles in both fire and water. I'm open to suggestions, but I think life and death should be mutually exclusive, just as they were in MoM.

I agree that Life and Death should be mutually exclusive, even one rank in one should prevent any ranks in the other.
    Likewise I agree that you should be able to take both Fire and Water however perhaps to give specialization added benefit you could say that each rank taken in one caps the opposing one. For example, take one rank in fire and your water becomes capped at eight instead of nine, 2 ranks in fire caps your water at 7, 3 ranks in fire caps your water at 6, etc.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    What we want from you guys is ideas. What else can we combine? What combo-spells would you like to see happen? Feel free to share your opinion about our magic system and help us make it better.
    Heh, you've played Dominions didn't you? XD So there are hundreds of spells, IMHO too much. You can choose the coolest ones XD. It will be good to have a similar, but simpler, not overwhelming system.
    Last edited by John Madlock; 02-14-2013 at 02:46 PM.
    Sorry, signature is under construction.

Believe it or not I never got into the Dominion games. I may have to go play... I mean research them... Either way, combos are a good idea, but we don't want to blow the player's mind. We want to give you enough to play with your own distinct style, not so much that you can't pick a direction.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Believe it or not I never got into the Dominion games.
    So maybe Ars Magica RPG then XD? I mean your system has intuitive scheme: Element (fire, water etc.) + Technique/Effect (summoning, destruction etc.) which I like.
    Sorry, signature is under construction.

Never played that either, lol. I have played a LOT of games though and the idea is out there. I'm glad you like it. I think it's going to be a system people enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post
    I agree that Life and Death should be mutually exclusive, even one rank in one should prevent any ranks in the other.
    Likewise I agree that you should be able to take both Fire and Water however perhaps to give specialization added benefit you could say that each rank taken in one caps the opposing one. For example, take one rank in fire and your water becomes capped at eight instead of nine, 2 ranks in fire caps your water at 7, 3 ranks in fire caps your water at 6, etc.
    You could further tie this in with the traits, for example a Water Savant trait precluding ranks in fire. Therefore choosing that trait opens up rank 9 or w/e, but cuts off the opposing school for that game forever. If not then the best spells are not open to the wizard, but spells could be taken from both schools and cross-class spells are available.
    Last edited by Krakizbad; 02-14-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: derp spelling

It's an interesting idea. We'll see how it starts to come together when we actually start compiling this tentative information. I really like some of the ideas we've gotten. I think we really going to be able to make WoM something special.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakizbad View Post
    You could further tie this in with the traits, for example a Water Savant trait precluding ranks in fire. Therefore choosing that trait opens up rank 9 or w/e, but cuts off the opposing school for that game forever. If not then the best spells are not open to the wizard, but spells could be taken from both schools and cross-class spells are available.
    You could also do it the other way around. For example you could say there there is a Water Savant trait that boosts your Water magic or whatever but in order to take it you have to have say at least 6 ranks in Water magic, or Elementalist trait that grants some bonus but requires at least 4 ranks in each of the four elemental schools.

Acolyte
    Quote Originally Posted by John Madlock View Post
    So maybe Ars Magica RPG then XD? I mean your system has intuitive scheme: Element (fire, water etc.) + Technique/Effect (summoning, destruction etc.) which I like.
    that's what popped in my mind too

If we do it classically then Life and Death surely knock out each other but what if we say necromancy is the union of them? When you raise a dead to an undead servant you give Life to a "Death". You give and take in the same time.

edit: as I see there's a necromancy effect circle so the life+death doesn't fit in. but first I have to read that other thread about life circle

edit2: about stacking these circles. it is clear that if I put together water+fire+summoning then I'll most probably get a summon steam elemental spell. but what if I put together death+necromancy? should it be a cure undead spell and life+necromancy generates cause wounds to undead? and what if you put together summon+necromancy? or only one effect circle can be used?
    just as I'm thinking about this a game comes in my mind what my gf plays on her phone: Alchemy or something like that.
    it would be fun (but maybe not in this game) to research spells like that. you put together the circles and some spell comes out from it.

ps: sorry for the inconsistent thoughts yesterday was a bit long for me (beer included )
    Last edited by sfuarus; 02-21-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast