Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Spell System

In mentalism, you could have psionic blast, mental control, hold person or fury which can be very powerful spells...

We sure could! And probably should, lol. Good suggestions!

I never noticed it before, but I love the rhyming wordplay on the fireball graphic. That's an awesome touch.

I can't claim that idea That was our dear producer, lol.

Arcane Candidate
    First Post Yay

I really like your idea about the elemental and effect circles and I have a follow up question. As far as I understand magic most magic schools or elements natuarally have somekind of effect they follow mostly, like Fire is destructive Water is "illusive" and so on. Does that man mean if I take a tier 9 destruction circle I will end up mostly with fire spells or will every elemental have the nearly same amount on different effect spells as another element?

I hope I could make myself clear enough.

Good first post and good question. Fire does have a lot to do with destruction, but it also has to do with summoning, protection, augmentation even. If you focus on fire you will have a fair number of destructive spells, but not nearly as many as if you focused on destruction itself.

Each of the elements have a variable number of different effects. So, although water and fire both have destruction spells it not like they have the same number.

I hope my explanation is sufficient, lol. Let me know if you have other questions.

Apprentice
    I liked the aspect of the magic system in mom where you were granted a certain number or spells in each tier (of which there were 4) determined by the number of points you allocated to that type of magic.. You weren't however guaranteed what spells you were able to research however and you didn't find out what they were until the game progressed.. For example you could the exact same number of points to a magic type in two different games and have access to different spells.. that is at least if my memory serves me correctly.. You could have only 5 or 6 points in a certain magic and by a stroke of luck be able to research an awesome spell. Or vice versa you could have many points invested and not have access to your favorite spell. Granted the later was disappointing at times but the former of course was awesome and it added the element of variety game to game.. Would it be possible to implement this.. Or some other sort of randomness into the WOM system?

---------- Post added at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

If you scroll to page 116 of this PDF (MOM manual) you can see what I'm talking about.. http://www.abandonia.com/files/extra...me_extra_1.pdf

Apprentice
    I liked the aspect of the magic system in mom where you were granted a certain number or spells in each tier (of which there were 4) determined by the number of points you allocated to that type of magic.. You weren't however guaranteed what spells you were able to research however and you didn't find out what they were until the game progressed.. For example you could the exact same number of points to a magic type in two different games and have access to different spells.. that is at least if my memory serves me correctly.. You could have only 5 or 6 points in a certain magic and by a stroke of luck be able to research an awesome spell. Or vice versa you could have many points invested and not have access to your favorite spell. Granted the later was disappointing at times but the former of course was awesome and it added the element of variety game to game.. Would it be possible to implement this.. Or some other sort of randomness into the WOM system?
    That's pretty much the current "research" debate as it is now, if you research a specific orb and get a random spell or if you just go into tiers, My personal view is that we research spells as we go up in tiers and then the random side is from the Artifacts of power in the map that can be found
    Limit of the thousands hands, respectful hands, unable to touch the darkness. Shooting hands unable to reflect the blue sky. The road that basks in light, the wind that ignited the embers, time that gathers when both are together, there is no need to be hesitant, obey my orders. Light bullets, eight bodies, nine items, book of heaven, diseased treasure, great wheel, grey fortress tower. Aim far away, scatter brightly and cleanly when fired

Apprentice
    I think the tier system is a good one too, just thought I'd throw it out there. It would be nice for randomness to occur in some form in the spell research system.. Veers away from a concrete/static research tree like civilization or moo and lends itself to a more adventurous and mystical paradigm for a fantasy setting.. But its a moot point . I can see the potential difficulties working it into a 9 tier system with a couple spells per teir as opposed to less tiers more spells per tier like the original MOM

Im not sure I like the idea of getting a random spell though, if I understand you correctly.. I think I'd prefer choosing what I research. But hey, that could be fun too

Speaking of randomness.. I heard mention of random events on another thread. They have the potential to add some spice, in addition to the artifacts..

Apprentice
    Pretty much everything you see in the forums is us as a playerbase giving advice and offering ideas for how we feel the game should go, most of what we say agrees with the developers cause they're just as awesome as us :L and yeah random events are a definite if I remember correctly you're pretty much the same as me a late-comer so you and I have to sift through the threads and add some late suggestions :P
    Limit of the thousands hands, respectful hands, unable to touch the darkness. Shooting hands unable to reflect the blue sky. The road that basks in light, the wind that ignited the embers, time that gathers when both are together, there is no need to be hesitant, obey my orders. Light bullets, eight bodies, nine items, book of heaven, diseased treasure, great wheel, grey fortress tower. Aim far away, scatter brightly and cleanly when fired

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast