Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Races of Elannra

The Races of Elannra

It's hard to decide just what races to put into a game like Worlds of Magic. The natural answer to the question “What races should we offer?” is, of course, “All of them!”, lol. Now, we would love to offer every race we can think of. Demons, Giants, Lizardmen, The Sylvan Brotherhood (Satyrs, Centaurs, etc.) However, there's only some much you can cram into a single game (until we start coming out with our DLC anyway). So, what we've decided to do is put in the meat and potatoes first. You can't make a stew with just carrots and gravy after all. So, our races at the moment are:

Humans
    Elves
    Dwarves
    Undead

I feel that the first three are “must have”s for a fantasy strategy game. Undead are going to be where the real flavor begins to be added. (You can think of the undead as WoM salt if it helps you envision my stew metaphor )

What we want to know is what other races the players are interested in. We want to have at least one more race at launch and may add more later. So what race do you want to make sure we have in game? Make suggestions and then we may take a vote or something to decide. (Dark elves, I know, dark elves, go ahead and say it if it will make you feel better.) When you make a suggestion feel free to explain why you think that race should get the number five slot. The more people you convince the more likely it is you'll get your way.
    Last edited by doomtrader; 02-08-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Mage’s Assistant
    Seems to me that the most logical race would be one with high CR creatures, like Giants. Supposing the other races rely on high amounts of weak units, Giants would probably use fewer units that are individually more powerful. Or some race that has inherently different units, like ones with lots of spell like abilities(if you use the d20 system to that extent), but ones that aren't so great in a normal melee combat(faeries or such). Or perhaps a race that has only flying units. Anything that will be significantly different from the other 4 races, something that feels and plays like something unique.

That is a very interesting point. Take the opportunity to introduce another very different race. It's a good idea. And yes, we intend to include spell like abilities.

three races? definitely too few.

what I'd like to see are factions vastly different in gameplay, not just having more health or less food growth. Granted, it's harder to do it in a fantasy game than in sci-fi, but I'm sure it's doable. A couple ideas:
    - savage beastmen, powerful in battle but without access to most buildings and - most of all - oblivious to the concept of currency. no money, taxes, upkeep. nada. that of course means hiring heroes could be quite tricky.
    - demons (), invaders from another dimension. Purely magical creatures; their population doesn't grow by itself, but by opening portals to their world (which cost a lot of magical energy, obviously).
    - ghastkin, infertile creatures that can only rise in number by capturing and twisting others

or see Fall from heaven for more unusual ideas.

Interesting ideas (really like the demons) and just the type of thing we're considering.

We actually have four races in the current lineup. Undead being the forth. (The fifth is what hasn't been decided yet and there may be more.)

Undead are going to be fundamentally different from the other races. They don't use gold or eat food, etc. We'll be posting more information soon, for the moment I'll just say I think we're on the same page.

How about a race of Golem similar to what was done in Eberron? Could be interesting.

Four, yeah, I fail at reading.

Don't know anything about Eberron, but a mechanical race could be interesting.

One more thing - how exactly will the undead race function beside a necromancy circle? Won't they be too redundant and overlapping?

What about a goblin/orc/ogre faction? They are the most common evil faction in fantasy games, even more than undead in my experience.
    To me both Demons and Undead are things to be summoned by evil mages (of any race), just my opinion.
    I'm not a huge fan of mixing tech with fantasy games as done in Eberron even if the "tech" is supposed to be powered by magic. Again though, that's just my opinion so if that's what others want it's fine... not like I will be FORCED to play as that faction.

I would like to see a gobliniod faction, but I think it will get pushed down the list unless someone comes up with a way to make them really flavorful, if you follow me.

The idea behind the undead faction is that your sorcerer is a necromancer (this will probably be a requirement before you can choose undead as a race. As usual - play testing). Your character doesn't have to necessarily be undead (although maybe he could be... a lich perhaps...) I think we could use the same pitch with demons and require you to have certain rank in summoning before you could select them as a race.

The race you rule and the race of your sorcerer are separate.

I don't like the tech/magic mix either. However, I think it could be done strictly from the "created beings" point of view. We could even throw things like Flesh Golem in the unit lineup and require you to be an artificer to pick them as a race.

Just a thought.

I'm not sure what you mean by "really flavorful".
    I'm confused on the undead faction though. If you've chose necromancy as your focus but you choose say a human faction will you not be able to use your necromancy spells to create skeletons, zombies, etc?
    Is the difference that a Necromancer wizard with a non-undead faction can summon them during battle using mana but then they disappear at the end of battle whereas a Wizard who leads the undead faction builds undead units the "normal" way and they stay until destroyed?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast