Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Races of Elannra

That certainly would add flavor to the goblinoid faction. It's a good idea. I'd support it as a fifth race candidate

Personally I'm not really sure it fits orcs and goblinoids. They are tribal and primitive, but not so savage that they don't understand the concept of currency. In fact, I've always associated them with thugs and marauders raiding others *for* gold and other material goods.
    That said, I would happily see an orc faction, maybe concentrated on the aforementioned raiding?

When I said "golinoids" I meant to conjure up the same idea as "humanoids" does Orcs, bugbears, goblins, kobolds (not in 3.0, they became reptilian rather than goblinoid for some reason) and all their allies. So, making the power players in the faction Orcs would be fine. Either way, the concept is interesting.

Scrapping alignment doesn't preclude racial tensions, pretty much every 4x space game simulates this. It just so happens that in the d20 system, races are traditionally alignment dependent. I think some of the more exotic races could themselves be trait picks for the wizard. Starting draconian in MoM was always superpowered for example.

Draconian! - A dragon race based on flying units.
    Orc - A race built around fewer, larger units. (Could include giants, trolls, etc in this race)

That's pretty much all I'd care about, maybe include dark elves with the orcs and halflings with the elves.

One thing I'd say though, rather than have a single "leader" character for each race, it would be great to have multiple ones for each race. At least two leaders for each race (male/female), each with different diciplines/magic circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    When I said "golinoids" I meant to conjure up the same idea as "humanoids" does Orcs, bugbears, goblins, kobolds (not in 3.0, they became reptilian rather than goblinoid for some reason) and all their allies. So, making the power players in the faction Orcs would be fine. Either way, the concept is interesting.
    What I meant is that these races, while barbaric and 'evil' (or better - unscrupulous) still have some semblance of civilization. They have craftsmen, traders, they know the value of gold and precious metals. At least, that's how they look like to me, of course you can have a different view and implement it in game.
    What irked me in MoM was that the true wild and savage race, the beastmen, with creatures such as minotaurs and manticores, could still build many advanced buildings (I think more than dwarves, though I could be wrong. Surely more than lizardmen or klackon, though). Like, for example, a bank. Imagine now. These guys. A bank.

I do see your point. True "beastmen" that are nomadic barbarians is dripping with flavor. And yes, those guys with a bank is the opening of a joke: "Three beastmen start building a bank..." Man... now I wish I knew how the joke ended. I bet it was hysterical!

Anyways, barbaric beastmen are a good candidate.

I'm plan to start doing posts about the race suggestions we've recieved. The list so far is:

Beastmen (savage, barbarian animal men)
    Constructs (living iron golem and dread guards)
    Draconians (dragons, dragonmen, etc...)
    Giants (giants, duh)
    Orcs (May need a blast from the spice weasel)

Do we have anymore suggestions?

Arcane Candidate
    Halflings, Gnomes, Kobolds. Since this is a world of magic make human mith and legion some thing just about every one has heard about but no one know for sure if human are or were Real.

Those three races are classic. Halflings were the farming power house of MoM. Their slinggers were also a powerful military force.

If we were to do halflings we might want to combine them with gnomes and make them a single race.

The idea of having humans be almost mythic is interesting. (It reminds me of Ferngully, lol.) However, they're really a staple even in fantasy. I honestly don't think it would be the same without them. I almost always play human

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast