Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Races of Elannra

Just to throw some more fuel on the fire, here are a couple of ideas.

Orcs: Raiders who thrive on the loot of others. Can form cheap raiding parties that can disguise themselves as neutral units and attack anyone they please. Gains extra loot from every battle, including such civilization necessities as building materials and research.

Astrals: Beings of pure magical energy. Very talented magicians and artificers. Begins game on one of the elemental planes, is weaker on the "main" plane. Perhaps they can try to "terraform" parts of the "main" plane to combat their weakness.

Draconians: Strong, agile warriors who are adept at flying. Natural fighters that build their homes in the sky. The magic required to sustain their cities handicaps their ability to stockpile mana and use magic elsewhere.

Also, I'd suggest that some of the proposed races might be better used to add more flavor to the other factions. IE, iron golems sound like exactly the kind of unit that a magically inclined dwarf player could produce, angels could be unlockable units for humans that choose the good alignment, Giants could be summonable or spawnable elf units, etc. That way, they can be put to good use and have a presence in the game, even if they're not a playable faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I'm plan to start doing posts about the race suggestions we've recieved. The list so far is:

Beastmen (savage, barbarian animal men)
    Constructs (living iron golem and dread guards)
    Draconians (dragons, dragonmen, etc...)
    Giants (giants, duh)
    Orcs (May need a blast from the spice weasel)

Do we have anymore suggestions?
    You forgot demons

A klackon-like race - insectoids with a sort of hive mind.

Fairies - forest creatures, including dryads, fairies, treants etc. peace-oriented. large food growth, very slow production.

Draconians - flying and proud. so proud in fact that the unrest is crazy high and towns located far from the capital can rebel.

Alrighty. The updated race list runs thus:

Astrals (Magical being with no physical bodies)
    Beastmen
    Constructs
    Demons
    Draconians (This has been mentioned three separate times, lol)
    Faires (all the fey folk could fit here)
    Giants
    Gnomes
    Halflings
    Insectiods (Klackons, Thri-Kreen, etc.)
    Kobolds
    Orcs

Have we more suggestions? We're going to keep letting people throw ideas into the hat for quite a while. I just plan to start doing posts on the individual races we're looking at soon. I'll probably start with draconians because there seems to be a fair amount of interest there

Thoughts:
    I hope that constructs aren't exclusive to their own faction. I'd really like to have Wizards with sufficient powers make Golem's and Shield guardians in the "normal" D20 way. This doesn't mean I oppose a faction, just like there can be undead outside the undead faction. I also like the idea of Golems being Dwarven for Iron, Stone, and Clay and throwing Flesh Golems into the Undead faction.

Demons, Devils, Angels, and Archons - I hope these are all summonable by any wizards of sufficient power and alignment. Again, not saying that I oppose them as a faction but these "outsiders" are beings powerful good or evil aligned wizards summon

Draconians - I haven't played MoM in ages but I believe they were in there and one of the strongest factions. They are a staple of the Dragonlance setting. I think a lot of the appeal of them is because they are usually so powerful and if you take that power away to balance them people may be disappointed. Whatever the case though I really hope there are Dragons outside this faction. Dragons and Giants are my favorite candidates for non-faction aligned powerful monsters, perhaps guarding lairs, etc.

I'm not sure if you're doing subraces but Fairies/Fey Folk could easily fit in with Wood Elves. On a similar note Cloud and Storm Giants are often friends with Gray Elves.

Orcs and Goblinoids are by far my strongest preference and if they don't make it to a player selectable faction I hope they at least make it to being one that the non-faction aligned cities can be. A fantasy game without any orcs or goblinoids is a strange concept to me.

Insectioids is an interesting idea and I go so far as to say maybe expand Kobolds to "reptilians" and throw in Lizardfolk and such... maybe on the high end they get dragons if Draconians don't make it as their own faction. This would solve the wimpy draconions issue by using other weaker reptilians for lower units while keeping powerful draconians for higher level units.

Gnomes and Halflings are a D20 staple, not races I lean toward myself but if it's D20 based and you're advertising it as such you might want to try to cover most, if not all, of the base races.

Please remember that d20 covers a whole lot of ground and isn't restricted to Dungeons&Dragons (even settings like Deadlands [weird wild west] or Star Wars had its d20 adaptations), and even DnD had its unconventional Planescape or Ravenloft. That means you don't have to (I'd say shouldn't as I'm not a big fan of Forgotten Realms) adhere to all tropes.

Demons, Devils, Angels, and Archons - I hope these are all summonable by any wizards of sufficient power and alignment. Again, not saying that I oppose them as a faction but these "outsiders" are beings powerful good or evil aligned wizards summon
    That's a semantic problem. I named those magical beings "demons", because for me 'demon' means a creature that does not originate on the world it appears on - it's an outsider. It doesn't necessary need to look like that; might be humanoid, resembling a toad or having the consistency of ooze. Definitely not your DnD demons (tanarri or whatever).

I hope that constructs aren't exclusive to their own faction. I'd really like to have Wizards with sufficient powers make Golem's and Shield guardians in the "normal" D20 way. This doesn't mean I oppose a faction, just like there can be undead outside the undead faction. I also like the idea of Golems being Dwarven for Iron, Stone, and Clay and throwing Flesh Golems into the Undead faction.
    What about an 'evil' dwarf or gnome faction that for some reason (they are physically disadvantaged, too proud for grunt work or too few to sacrifice any people to war) uses only constructs and automatons as units?

Faires (all the fey folk could fit here)
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

Any of the summonable units will still be summonable even if they are part of a faction. The same is true of constructs if they end up in a faction. Players will still be able to make them even if they're not exactly the same as the “faction version”.

Loved Dragon Lance back in the day. I don't think we'd necessarily have to “weaken” the draconians. We could just up the price of the base units to make them fit within the power scale. I mean look at Baaz, they're not that overpowered. Just fit the cost of production to the power and they'd be alright. They'd be slow to start with, but that's the price you pay for supermen. Dragons are probably not going to end up in any faction. (although drake might).

Some races may be combine into a single faction. We're going to wait until we see how many factions we're going to be able to put together before we make any final decisions. Fey folk and elves naturally work well together.

I know orcs and goblins are a staple, but we want to see how much room we have before they make the final cut.

I think we are going to use the D20 take on demons, but I see your point Hoverdog.

Dark dwarves are also interesting. I like the idea of them using constructs to do their dirty work.

Arcane Candidate
    How about an elemental based race. By that depending on the plane where the castle or village is built in they excel at certain things in that plane. For instance lets say fire since its considered in most games for fire to be fast and heavy in damage potential if say the race was in the fire plane they would get perks to damage and building construction. Water maybe the amount of "mana" and an extra research potential ect ect. I think that would offer a very diverse race that could cover any plane but wouldn't be to over powered. This bonus they recieve is obviously only based off the plane they started in and not additive based on towns they control in each plane.
    I also like the undead idea and was wondering if daemons would be included in their army.

Acolyte
    thoughts for the race list:
    Astrals (Magical being with no physical bodies) - for me they can be represented in two ways: there should be a whole Astral plane for them which is in connnection with all the other planes. the other one if they reside in the Life/Paradise Plane as spirits and they are in an ancient war against the Shadod/Death Plane's undeads.
    Beastmen, Kobolds, Orcs - these can be put together imho and for me they are a must in the starting game pack
    Constructs - I won't create a construct faction. it would be too tech-magic stuff which is not fit well with MoM heritage. of course there could be units like iron golem for the smallfolk.
    Demons - not for me as a totally outsider (out from the planned Planes - that would be too planescapish) but we can say that all non-Prime Material planes' creatures are demons so like undeads of the shadow
    Draconians - a must either in the start or in DLC. I'd put their starting location on the Plane of Air. if they start there that's not a problem if they're a bit stronger then the Prime Material races. with more expensive units, unit caps, slower growth and a harder travel between planes (thats for the undeads too)
    Faires (all the fey folk could fit here), Elves - I would put them together. basic fantasy setting, classical. a must in the start.
    Giants - they can be the inhabitants of the Earth Plane.
    Gnomes, Halflings, Dwarves - they can be combined as the Smallfolk faction with dwarves in the deep, gnomes on the mountains (flying machine! ), halflings on the hills as the agrarian stoneslinger group of them. beginner pack.
    Insectiods (Klackons, Thri-Kreen, etc.) - maybe put on the Plane of Fire? great colonies, typical swarm system, big growth and loss of cheap units.
    Humans - various subtypes. if the subtype will be editable that would be the best and therefore the usual barbarian nordic/southren nomad can be evaded (if we want to evade that at all ).

so for the WoM start package:
    Humans, Small folk, Fey folk, Beastmen and if must, then let it be Undead.
    DLC - Outer Planes:
    Astrals, Draconians, Giants, Insectoids & something for the Water world like a snake-partially underwater-lizard-furry fish race living on the perimeter of infinite ocean and ice.

Outer Plane races are stronger as they have to endure in the harsh environment of their world but they are limited in numbers. In addition travelling for a native from an outer plane to the Prime is much harder then in the opposite way. Plus they could gain "victory points" for fighting against the opposite planes - therefore the players would be spurred to use the Prime only as a corridor and not as a place where they can kill everyone.
    Prime races are cheaper, faster to grow but lack the hardiness of the outer planes' residents. But they have more opportunities as they can move easier between planes (of course not _so_ easy ) and can profit from more things.

Great feedback! sfuarus, those are some interesting ways to look at the factions. (I'm hearing more and more "We must have orcs!")

Jacktheripper, I like the idea of elemental based races. It could add even more flavor to the elemental plains.

We must have orcs! (well Goblinoids are more important to me than Orcs strictly speaking but I lump Orcs in with them)

Will every game have all the planes or will there be an option for a quick game say that gives you just a map for the prime material plane? I LOVE the idea of having the planes but I could imagine wanting to do a quick game where having to chase enemies between multiple planes could really extend the game. If there is an option for a Prime Material plane game only then if factions are linked to planes my fear is you'd lose a bunch of the factions. Yes the undead faction is more at home than other factions in the death plane but I would think the player (computer controlled or not) would still start in the Prime Material plane. The ultimate goal it seems to me is to convert the Prime Material plane into another Death plane (by spreading the death corruption) so sitting building up an empire in the death plane and then camping there and just trying to hold it seems counter productive. Frankly if I'm a life player and an Undead faction is holed up on the death plane I couldn't care less, as long as they stay out of the Prime Material plane then I've won in my mind no matter how many cities they may have on the Death plane.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast