Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: You Need A Hero?

I think Hero must be treated like a unit. Certainly, a powerful unit, but a unit on its own.

Maybe a hero leading an army could give a moral bonus to the army, but they must not be needed to lead it.

I hope heroes will have a certain number of random abilities like in MoM as that was one of its coolest features. In fact, I think the more randomness (within certain power levels constraints) you can instill in the system the better!

Love the idea of a loyalty characteristic, and the finding of different objects to craft an item, this could tie in with the dungeon crawls mentioned in the KS

Armies don't need heroes to lead. Their lone wolf BA's

I do like the idea of a dungeon-run-to-craft idea. A more interesting way to get equipment for heroes.
    Malleus the Magician + Fang the Draconian = OP

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    what if all heroes promoted from units have the leadership feat, and that the units from the stack they were in become their cohorts? the stack would drop a level and wouldn't level up until the hero leveled up. maybe have his cohorts continue to gain levels past 5th (always 2 levels behind or more from the hero) based on a leadership score, this would make the hero from your units more of a battlefield hero. it would also deal with the whole max stack thing with out a completely surrounded unit able to get someone back to your capitol.

i also think that the hero from a unit thing should reflect the unit it came from, so usually it will be a fighter, which fits with the intentional demographics of heroes in the D20 system (from a world building perspective, after all if everyone was a mage then magic would be too special, which is the least of the issues).

Arcane Candidate
    Aaron : In respect your earlier mention of Loyalty for Heroes (you said you'd think about it) can I say I like the concept that Heroes/Champions may not be wholly trustworthy. May I suggest that, in order to avoid suddenly discovering that your hero is no longer your hero, that in fact the upkeep of a hero becomes more onerous the more powerful they become, and that ultimately one could "negotiate" with a hero. A little like a star player in a football team, if they are naturally disloyal (ie low loyalty factor) you could find yourself in a situation where you become increasingly unable to meet their demands and may end up losing them... this would IMO be a truly unique feature and add a wonderful level of strategy. You could even have them make the odd demand; "Make me a sword worthy of my might" for example...

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    That kinda demands can rapidly become more hassle then they are interesting or fun.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    That kinda demands can rapidly become more hassle then they are interesting or fun.
    Agreed. "Lose your best, most carefully-tended units unless you pay spiraling upkeep costs and make constant negotiations to appease their every whim" is an area which must be trod lightly.

Arcane Candidate
    I liek the sound of that announcment. Do you plan on only using stock Prestiege classes or will you modify/add your own?

If you need ideas (and I bet you dont't) here's one I made a long time ago (For Baldurs Gate 2)

Holy Avengers are the most feared and rare warriors within the paladin order. They have usually endured much hardship in the past from the sevants of darkeness and harbour specialy strong hate and taste for vengance. They dedicate their whole life to the sole purpose of destroying evil wherever it appears, usually to the level that can be considered fanatical. Their training & dediaction to that task has made them expert swordsman, yet they fight very offensivly, often ignoring their defenses. They care only devine justice and serving good, even when it conflicts law and order.
    Wielding a sword of holy fire, radiating an aura of power and retribution the mere sight of an Holy Avenegr is enough for most evil monsters to flee in terror.
    Coupled with a powerful artifact of light, like it namesake the Holy Avenger sword, he is the ultimate weapon of Good and a relentless and dangerous enemy of Darkness.

ADVANTAGES:
    - can reach mastery in various swords
    - gets a +2 bonus to hit and +3 bonus to damage against Evil enemies
    - at levels 1, 5, 10 and 14 gets the Cloak of Fear ability
    - at lvl 5 can summon a Holy Blade (basicly a flame blade, with holy damage)
    - at lvl 10 gets Heavens Wrath ability (a stronger fist of heavens)
    - at lvl 15 gets Divine Vengance ability (adds 1d5 of all elemental damages to the avengers attacks)

DISADVANTAGES:
    - gets a permanent -2 penalty to AC
    - gets a -1 to hit penalty against neutral opponents and -4 penalty against good opponents
    - cannot use ranged weapons
    - cannot use a mount

Arcane Candidate
    Just an idea, but perhaps only certain 'vanilla' units (one per race) could grow into heroes? And when reaching a very high level off experience. These units could reduce in number of men time each they level until there is just one survivor left. Which is why he is a hero

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast