Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: City spam.

Arcane Candidate
    i actually like it aswell.
    if i think about it, i dont know any good 4x with pooled resources, and iam really fed up with overstreamlined games.
    what i want is complex and rich empire management, not homm style.
    and yeah, MoM wasnt too deep about it, wich i consider one of the things worthy to be improved
    just my opinion, but i think iam not alone

sword of the stars is space related and warlock is much more like Fantasy General than Mom because of the combat system.
    Magic system in Warlock is also much less complex than Mom.
    To me,master of Magic stays for:
    -Very in depth Magic system with lots of spells
    -turn based combat system on an extra battleground map
    -lots of different but standard fantasy races
    -city management with lots of different buildings,classical worker/farmer aprroach and unrest
    -gold,mana and food as standard resources
    -certain special resources on the overland map which activate certain things when adjacent to a city
    -very nice wizard creation system,with lots of viable strategies regarding spellbook and skill combinations.
    -very nice item system

Its a simple system,but yet a very complex game.
    One of the few games where you could litterally use hundreds of different approaches pre game skill and perkwise and still win it/having fun with it.

Dont make Wom too much of a hardcore city management game by adding lots of resources.
    Focus should stay evenly distributed between magic,battles and cities.

ya also played fantasy general (very good soundtrack) and bought warlock, master of the arcane. The later was a bit of letdown. there was also lords of magic and now fallen enchantress . Non of the games have a real mom feel. I hope i dont find a civ feel what i hate and more a mom feel what i like (more fantasy less reality).

What i like is some research tree what was missing in mom where you can research spells, creatures and weapons (creatures were researched in fantasy general where you could research three classes : beasts, magical and mechanical). Spells were giving to a specific caster, they could get not more spells when you selected the 'hero'. fantasy general was a bit of mini master of magic but still fun

lords of magic was a 3d map with several tripes and you build turn per turn and moved turn per turn

recently fallen enchantress is one of the titles who resembles vagly to the MoM of old. i nevert played it but i dont know what other think of that titel

Might and magic titles have also some expertise in it

i also worked on the titles etherlords & etherlords II in the beta (it was made in russia but it was published in english, german, polish, finish and russian). Some MoM ideas entered the game proposed by me
    Last edited by Yann Beelen; 04-10-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Arcane Candidate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardagg View Post
    Dont make Wom too much of a hardcore city management game by adding lots of resources.
    Focus should stay evenly distributed between magic,battles and cities.
    I too, think that it should be evenly distributed, but i dont see how resources can turn it into a hardcore city management game.
    Even if u need to spend population on every resource and even if there are several of them. thats still a fraction of what u manage in civ. so, way more MoM than Civ

I hate city spam tactics. They're always a chore, not fun at all. I'd rather have a game that allows less, better placed cities. Several games have city border expansion. The one I like the most it's Civ V way, and I love mega cities. I don't see the problem with them to be honest.
    “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”

George Bernard Shaw

I like border expansion as well. I don't like that Civ created a whole new resource to manage it though with "Culture". I think we could easily just use the existing city sizes from MoM with some small tweaking:

Hamlet: 1-4 population
    Village: 5-8 population
    Town: 9-12 population
    City: 13-16 population
    Capital: 17-25 population

Hamlets control a 3x3 grid with your city in the middle tile.
    Villages control a 5x5 grid with the corners removed and the city in the middle tile. (this is the default MoM one and starting cities should start a pop 5 so you start here... hamlets are only for newly funded cities or cities that have lost population.)
    Towns control a 7x7 grid with the 3 tile angled corners cut out and the city in the middle tile
    Cities control 9x9 grid with the 6 tile "stairs" cut out of the corners and the city in the middle tile
    Capitals control 11x11 grid...

11x11 is pretty darn big but size 17+ cities don't exactly just pop up overnight. This allows cities to expand without adding a new resource and with what I believe are reasonable limits.

dont make the cities also to big that you dont have anymore room on your map. The map should tolerate a certain amount of cities or smaller hamlets etc. If you would look in the medieval times there werent big must cities (the largest were 25.000)
    but we are speaking of fantasy (i have a atlas of kingdoms of kalamar somewhere and there some cities have certain numbers). You have also per city a certain percentage of non locals (like 1% orcs , 1% of hobbits etc) but they dont count toward building specific units otherwise the city would have 99% of orcs to support orc spearmen etc. Each city has influx of new people from other races (that should also be counted) - migration as we say it nowadays

Good debate guys. I'm already running out of time this morning and so I can give you a proper reply. But keep talking. We're watching

Arcane Candidate
    Ok, letz say we use blueinstincts suggestion,
    It could work like that:

- Pioner/equivalent builds outpost
    - Outpost will consume x number of food per turn and x number of lumber per turn (and for that matter maybe other resource aswell), for the next 5 turns
    if any of the resources are lacking, turn time increases

that would open up the following options:

-races could have diffrent needs of resource ammounts and types
    -races could have diffrent gathering rates wich can impact city building aswell
    example: Orcs haverest lumber very fast, so they can expand faster

that leads to alot of race flavor and differentiation, while freedom of city building is kept, wich is important for the 'in controll' feeling that makes 4x so addictive, aaand city spam is delt with.

thats my thoughts, what do u guys think?

I'm not a fan of adding an additional resource (lumber) to manage.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast