Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Race of the Living Dead

Arcane Candidate
    bit late writing on this thread i know but i was curious if there might be some sort of extra benefit for undead fighting the enemy other then just wipping out enemy units such as gaining some resources or such for each enemy unit killed to represent the undead scavenging the defeated for "spare parts". And perhaps a percentage chance to reanimate a portion of a fallen unit if you win a battle. Although I am not sure if this would be good or not as it might unbalance them.

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    Quote Originally Posted by Durgaz View Post
    bit late writing on this thread i know but i was curious if there might be some sort of extra benefit for undead fighting the enemy other then just wipping out enemy units such as gaining some resources or such for each enemy unit killed to represent the undead scavenging the defeated for "spare parts". And perhaps a percentage chance to reanimate a portion of a fallen unit if you win a battle. Although I am not sure if this would be good or not as it might unbalance them.
    I liked the original MoM where defeated armies would get units resurrected as undead in a cute pop-up screen at the end of the battle. This I think would tie in with how I would like undead in general to be represent- start off very weak, but then they can snowball horrifically and become nearly unstoppable. Every faction will have it's start/mid/end game strengths and I reckon the undead could be the end-game juggernauts. Having neutral undead bands roam the lands getting stronger and stronger so they have to be dealt with early on would provide some nice challenge and a distraction from the wizard vs wizard wars that can get a bit tiresome. Perhaps a reward in influence for the player than defeats large undead bands or something.

Acolyte
    Will I be able to play the lich overlord?

Undead will have a lot of combat benefits. Raising extra undead units is just one bonus.

The start/mid/end game dynamics is a bit up in the air ATM. We have to flesh out a few things before we'll know how it's going to take shape.

Roaming bands of undead could get bigger and bigger until they were truly terrible. If you see one go kill it.

George and I were talking about an "undead" faction leader the other day. He fancies a Wraith type character. I suggested a Lich myself. We may get either or both. We'll just have to see how it goes

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Roaming bands of undead could get bigger and bigger until they were truly terrible. If you see one go kill it.
    I love Third party threats in games. Like Random events I feel they really add to the vibrancy of the world.

George and I were talking about an "undead" faction leader the other day. He fancies a Wraith type character. I suggested a Lich myself. We may get either or both. We'll just have to see how it goes
    Is it because George wants to Re-envisage R'Jak from MoM?

A Lich would make more sense as they are generally portrayed as powerful Necromancers rather than Wraiths that are usually mid-level melee troops. I'd quite like a re-imagined R'Jak though as he was one of my favourites. My vote would be both- a new and an old one!
    Last edited by War Troll; 04-20-2013 at 03:23 PM.

I can't say for certain, but yes I think Rjak is still calling to him after all these years, lol.

We may end up with both. In the long run I think we will

First of all, thank you guys for paying undead so much attention and love, dead men really need it! Now if you would really do this please, please do not limit undead just to single race! Let there be more summoned and created ones - that is natural for necromancy to bring more thing back to unlife.

What I wanted to see most of all is sort of corruption of "normal" units. That does not fit into your general concept of race, but well back in MoM undead swordsman might still be swordsman and dragon - still be dragon, undead however.

I do not expect you to do the same, but it can bring lots of flavor and fun if you allow to create some corrupted units from well... some special sort of material, especially from heroes for example.
    So undead champions still be champions (or better - they might become mindless zombie OR powerful undead champion depending on magic ritual). Something might be also done for normal units - i mean "conversion" paths, for example paladins becoming death knights and so on. Just let some units retain in undeath part of the identity they had in life. Perks, stats, names.
    That would be really nice to have and also bring more challenge into necromancy aspect - to find better source material, better rituals, places of power (some extremely rare beings can be created on Negative Energy Plane e.g.) and so on.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Oh yeah, and life steal was a great thing
    Last edited by Aleksey; 04-29-2013 at 06:50 PM.

I can't say for certain, but yes I think Rjak is still calling to him after all these years, lol.

We may end up with both. In the long run I think we will
    I would think it would be necessary to have both. It's just too much fun to fight undead in dungeons/lairs.

Summoned skeletons don't build buildings, don't toil for their masters grand vision, don't have thoughts or desires, they are merely animated humanoid remains who attack on demand.
    Would these guys have some kind of "mindless" trait? I love this concept in Dominions - not every undead is mindless, and not every mindless is undead

Undead Cities

Undead settlements:
    Since they are not supposed to grow naturally then there should be other sources.
    Primary source should be conquest - razing living city would give population boost say to half of destroyed city population.
    Secondary and relatively small might be spells. Not just growth spells - we do not want undead to have just own version of say "stream of life" spell, but on the other hand "zombie mastery" or city-level "eternal night" spell might give bonus to growth as a side effect. It would be nice if this growth bonus will be dependent on total world (plane) living population, but fixed +1 up to +5 percent would be fine also.
    Third source - you should be able to start somehow, so graveyards, ancient battlefields and other sites are welcomed. Building a city near the site would allow it to grow (better if resource would exhaust over time to provoke conflicts with living) , otherwise - no growth at all.
    So in the end undead will be highly dependent on living to grow (unless on Negative Energy plane), which is again natural.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

Undead units:
    not criticizing current concept I would expect that regular undead are just humanoid (warriors and casters alike), with pros and contras, good at the beginning but fairly weak in mid and late game. Or not weak but nothing special, the true power will come in summons and creations (which would again drive conflict and hunt for living beings). Anyway you might go for zerg strategy and harvest mindless corpses, or target for unique created powerful undead (liches, death knights, vampires) or go both, but without necromancy you will not be nearly as powerful as you could be.

Unique (semi-random) created units:
    To create vampire or lich should not be simple task. Not sure if game mechanics would allow that, but it would very nice to see the process of vampire creation as several steps:
    - get vampire blood through quest or ritual (special item)
    - get living subject to apply blood (unit)
    - get ghoul (not MoM ghoul but more VtM type) which is powerful (cause this is normal unit fueled by vampire blood) and is better than a newborn vampire
    - finally vampire, with of course somewhat random attributes so really strong vampire will require magic, correct place and some luck and that vampire MUST feed to became stronger than a ghoul.

process of lich creation would require
    - a phylactery (item)
    - unwilling living mage or willing living necromancer (unit)
    and so on.
    Last edited by Aleksey; 04-30-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast