Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Mighty Draconians

Apprentice
    I really liked the flying ships in MoM, but people have made a good point that the Draconians don't need ships. Would they need any kind of troop transport? Could transports stack like they do in Civilization?

air ships made the draconians a great support race if you got mostly other races.
    I would love to get 1 or 2 neutral draconian cities just for air ships... and Doom drakes of course

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcosP. View Post
    I really liked the flying ships in MoM, but people have made a good point that the Draconians don't need ships. Would they need any kind of troop transport? Could transports stack like they do in Civilization?
    Depends on what you mean by stack. In MoM there was a hard limit of 9 units per square. Some transport ships had a limit to the number of units they could carry (Galleys carried 5 for instance), so you would need 2 ships to get a full stack. I do like this particular game mechanic because it makes naval assaults a larger investment than, "Oh, I need a ship to invade Horus's island."

Now that they are in I can start putting together a description and list of units soon. Well... soon... what does that mean? There's a lot to do...

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    In re-reading this thread I don't see a physical reason why any Draconian would be unable to swim. Their swimming prowess and motion would be in-between a crocodile and a snake. They would also be perfectly capable of swimming across the ocean, imo.

Unlike MoM however, I'm not convinced swimming units should be able to participate in water combat. At least not at full strength.

If they need to not swim for balance, that's different.

Now that we have word that the draconians apparently haven't been claimed by one of the Giant-level backers...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcosP. View Post
    In the final version of Master of Magic, the airships had their transport capacity removed entirely. Instead, the role they serve is essentially flying artillery - conventional catapults obviously aren't going to be able to keep up with the flying draconian troops, so they figured out a way to get flying ships, mounted light catapults on them, and that's their artillery.

In broader terms, flying ships and the like serve as means of carrying things that are too heavy for the draconians themselves to carry. In consideration of the practicalities of flying across oceans, they'd also provide the flying draconians with somewhere to rest...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345