Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mighty Draconians

Switch it to say Lesser Drake instead of Dragon.

I think I failed to explain properly. My suggestion was not that the Draconian race gets Dragons (which are much too powerful as you suggest.) My suggestion was that the Draconians behind the scenes be D20 Lizardfolk but some of which have Half-Dragon D20 Templates applied based off of buildings built which in turn require certain terrain types to be within range of the city.

For example:
    First the player must build a shrine, this opens up draconian shaman (Lizardfolk Adepts), then the player can build any of the 5 temples but each also requires a certain terrain type. So for example if there is tundra in the city range then that city can build an Ice Temple which allows the player to create Ice Draconians (D20 Lizardfolk warriors with the half-dragon template for WHITE dragons... ie cold breath weapon).
    Once you have a temple you can build the corresponding Cathedral. So if you have an Ice Temple you can move on to build a Cathedral of Ice and that allows the player to build Draconian Ice Lords (D20 Lizardfolk Fighters with half-dragon template for WHITE dragons... so these are similar to Ice Draconians except now they are fighters instead of warriors and can fly in addition to their breath weapons.)

This list of temples, terrains, and dragon types were to reflect which dragon type the corresponding half-dragon template would use. It was NOT to say that the faction should get those Dragons. True Dragons are WAY too powerful for a faction.

So the entire Draconian unit list would be:

Weyrs? (Draconian Settlers)
    Draconian Warrior (D20 Lizardfolk Warrior - natural armor, claws, bite)
    Draconian Shaman (D20 Lizardfolk Adept)
    Draconian Sorcerer (D20 Lizardfolk Sorcerer) - if unit creates a hero becomes a Lizardfolk Dragon Disciple
    (Air|Earth|Fire|Water|Ice) Draconian (D20 Lizardfolk Warrior with Half-Dragon template applied)
    Draconian (Air|Earth|Fire|Water|Ice) Lord (D20 Lizardfolk Fighter with Half-Dragon template applied + wings/flight)

So depending on how you look at it they have either less unit types (6) then other races or far more (14) if you count each template color separately.

You could always add Dragon Turtles and Wyverns to the list if you need more units to round out the army list. Maybe Dragon Turtles even count as the "boats" for non-flying units.

Asmodai, you explained everything perfectly. It was late, I was tired, and I did something I try never to do. That is to reply to a post I've only skimmed.

Now, you see, I try not to do that because, at some time or another, you're going to end up looking like an idiot. Just like I did when I rejected a suggestion you hadn't even made, lol.

So, to go back to BEFORE my last reply. I really like the idea of basing the Draconians on lizardmen/half-dragons. This seems to be overflowing with flavor! Before we get to the mechanics behind your concept (which could be a little tricky, lol) let's look at the story so far:

The Draconians of Elannra (the universe in which WoM takes place) are descendants of the great wyrms who lived when the universe was new. They are neither humanoid nor dragon, they are both. Draconians understand the power of society and rather than living solitary lives, as most of their reptilian cousins do, they choose to live and work together. They can use powerful magic and, with the help of their kin, take up a portion of that power that lies dormant in their veins.

Now, that's just a start. From a story point of view it's the “where they come from” and the “how they get half-dragons”. I like it so far, but it needs some cultural fleshing out. How does their past and present influence their culture?

How about something like. The Matriarch of the Great brood, seeing the strife created by her children and the lesser race, use her life essence to change her last Clutch into a race the would be intermediaries between the races of Dragon and the others.

That is pretty cool.

Still, how do we pitch their culture?

Well, the Great Matriarch knowing she would need to have her new children interact with the Races of man, elf and Dwarf. Used them as a template to create the race that would become the Draconians.

She demanded a clutch from each of her prime children. Taking these eggs she engineer each clutch to do a specific job for the new race.

More to come have to go to dinner with the inlaws.

Taking a Clutch of green dragons eggs , she mutated the growing embros into two legged wingless humaniods. She enhanced the creatures natural ability commune with natures. These Draconian build and found new homes for the new race.

Now taking a Clutch of Red she manipulates these in to Fire Breathing Warriors these flightless warrior use Sword and Fire to defend the nation.

Using the Blue Eggs a small Draconian with the ability to fly quickly breathing Frost onto its opponents slowing them down.

Taking the Gold and Silver eggs she created beings that could serve as magi and engineers.

I wish I was more eloquent like Asmodai.

As I think of more I will add.
    Last edited by Rybon; 03-30-2013 at 04:02 AM.

Dragons existed in Elannra before humans, even before the elves and dwarves. As the Elves first rose to power however, before the coming of man, it became clear to many that there was strength in social living. The metallic dragons chose to use magic (Alternate Form ability) to disguised themselves as the other races so they could exist amongst them unnoticed. They served as mentors and advisors to the humanoid races and it's said that if you trace any sorcerers bloodline back far enough you'll likely find a dragon ancestor as it's the dragon blood that gives many of the races it's innate magic ability. The chromatic dragons however refused to HIDE amongst the "lesser" races (this is why Chromatic dragons do not have the Alternate Form ability). Most simply chose to continue living out their solitary existances but there was a small faction that decided that in order Dragons to survive and indeed compete with humanoid civilizations they would have to adapt to be like them. Lead by 5 Great Wyrms (one of each color) this "civilization cult" used powerful ritual magic to transfer the essences of their followers and themselves into their eggs and in the process warp their offspring into what we now know as Draconians. These 5 Great Wyrms are now worshipped as gods by the Draconians.

Draconian society is a caste based system.
    The lowest caste have no wings and no breath weapon. They are most common however and serve as the farmers, workers, and basic warriors of the civilization.
    Some choose to devote their lives to the worship of the Draconian Matrons and in return they attain a limited amount of divine power (adepts)
    Some have a natural gift for arcane magic (sorcerers). I rare cases some even attain enough arcane power to elevate themselves to the highest caste (via the Dragon Disciple prestige class), a goal all Draconian sorcerers strive for.

The middle caste are less common than the lowest caste. Each has been touched by one of the matron goddesses and thus they are also stronger, smarter, more resilient, and more charismatic than the lower caste. (half-dragon attribute bonsus) In addition they have the breath weapon of the matron who touched them.

The highest caste are the rarest and most powerful of Draconian society. Like the middle caste they have been touched by one of the Draconian goddesses but her gift to them is greater as they tend to be more skilled (Fighter instead of Warrior) and in addition to their breath weapon they also have wings and are capable of flight!

The Draconians are all one species (each caste is not a separate species). Females of the lowest caste (when mated with a male of the lowest class) produce offspring that is primarily of their caste however there is a small chance that one or more of their eggs may be touched by one of the Draconian goddesses. It's therefore possible (though unlikely) for a female draconian to lay 8 eggs with 5 of them being lowest caste, 2 being middle caste (one touched by the red dragon goddess and one touched by the green), and one highest caste (touched by the white dragon goddess)
    Middle and upper caste couples of different colors produce only lowest caste offspring.
    Middle and upper caste couples of the same color have a higher chance to produce middle and upper caste offspring than lower caste couples however all middle and upper caste offspring will be of only their same color as the parents and they may still produce lower caste offspring.

Draconian society builds buildings, pays taxes, etc. like other races. However because of their natural armor and weapons they have not developed the arts of arms and armor crafting.

On a side note while we are using Lizardfolk as a base for the D20 stats Draconians are not actually descended from Lizardfolk. We're just using the stats of that race for balance purposes so I would suggest no reference be made to Lizardfolk in the game lore. Further Lizardfolk in D20 are not aquatic so I would not give (non-flying) draconians the ability to move over ocean squares (that what they have Dragon Turtles to carry them for!) but I WOULD give them a move bonus on swamp and possibly costal tiles because of their swim and hold breath abilities.

Asmodai, I think you've come up with the goods. I like it!

Anyone second my opinion?

Neophyte Sorcerer
    I second the caste/draconian back story. I like it and it is socially functional.

Draconians are descended from dragons, etc...

However if there are "lizardmen" like units that are the early units in WoM, it still makes sense for them to have the ability to go over ocean tiles. I agree that there isn't a reason to reference them as lizardfolk in game lore.

They wouldn't get the movement boost that the flying units do over all terrain or the drawback of being damaged when "shot down", they still have the ability to explore/expand/exterminate earlier in the game than some other races.

I am more of a fan of them all being able to fly, but if the decision is made to not have every draconian unit fly, I can't see taking away the ability to cross ocean tiles from the early units; even if "dragon turtles" are their ships.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast