Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle Board Size

Mage’s Assistant
    If the map is isometric 9x9 means this?

Hm, is it 10x10? Never mind, my question is how to count, diagonals or sides?
    Last edited by John Madlock; 02-26-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    Sorry, signature is under construction.

Count the sides. In MoM you could obviously walk anywhere on the screen. My thought was to narrow this down to a roughly diamond shaped board in the center of the screen. Now, as you can put it in perspective mode and rotate the camera it can end up looking like a square of whatever. The point is that no mater what the board looks like at the moment it is still a square board with square "tiles" from a "logic" point of view.

I think having a rectangular board works well considering advancement of units, but I'll defer to Asmodai who is actually familiar with the d20 ruleset.

Mage’s Assistant
    Made with blender. 1366x768 - I think it's the most common resolution. Made some space for GUI (menus, panels, sidebars) probably too much.

10 titles
    http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/7681/40773339.png

10 titles iso
    http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/7295/10iso.png

15 titles
    http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/4089/50604011.png

15 titles iso
    http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6448/15iso.png

20 titles
    http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/7080/20288751.png

20 titles iso
    http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9676/20iso.png

From 20x20 titles may begin to be a little too small, but for me still good.
    Edit: Oh, sorry it is not really isometric (orthographic), it's normal perspective. But it would be strange to have rotated (if it is smooth) camera and othographic perspective in one time.
    Last edited by John Madlock; 02-27-2013 at 03:33 AM.
    Sorry, signature is under construction.

Well done! Using blender was a good idea.

I think we'll try the 20x20 and see what happens from there. We may also go with smaller (or larger) boards for specific maps. For instance we might make a "cave" map where there's not a lot of room to run around.
    Last edited by Aaron; 02-27-2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Facebook Poll Influenced Me

Acolyte
    Just a fresh mind with some new ideas. Have you guys considered multi-tile units(in the battle board ofcourse, not the overland map). Just like the bigger units in the HoMM series(at least the later installments).
    An orc is a fire plug of a fighting machine made of muscle, hide, talon, and tusk, with a villainous dispostition and a mean sense of humor. And, of course, an orc is a poor dumb grunt - the much abused foot soldier of the Evil Horde of Darkness.

They're using 10' tiles and basing it off the D20 system so what that means is that 4 small or medium creatures can fit into a single title (so they'll be multi-person units) and 1 large creature can fit in a tile. Now they don't have to keep strictly to D20 so they may tweak it a bit for balance (like throw 6 small units into a tile instead of 4 so it competes better with a 4 mediums) but I assume they'll be able to make multi-tile units for VERY big things.

For example a Great Wyrm Red Dragon is a Colossal unit in D20. It is a 30' unit which means if they put one in WoM it would be a 3 tile creature. That's not something you'll have in your army though, it would likely be an epic boss battle to get some super important artifact or something if it makes it in the game... Great Wyrm Red Dragons are EXTREMELY powerful. They make even devils and angels look weak.

Acolyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Well done! Using blender was a good idea.

I think we'll try the 20x20 and see what happens from there. We may also go with smaller (or larger) boards for specific maps. For instance we might make a "cave" map where there's not a lot of room to run around.
    *Spark* Here comes another thought!

What about environmental/weather effects in tactical combat?

- Strong winds blow, halving(or doubling, depending on your side?) your flying units' movement speed.
    - Rains have turned the soil into sticky mud, halving your ground units' movement speed.

I could go on with the list, but this just as a suggestion.
    An orc is a fire plug of a fighting machine made of muscle, hide, talon, and tusk, with a villainous dispostition and a mean sense of humor. And, of course, an orc is a poor dumb grunt - the much abused foot soldier of the Evil Horde of Darkness.

Arcane Candidate
    I think the size should be determined first by the max number of units in battle. Then depending on how fancy you want to get maybe have 3 (or more or less as needed) different sized boards to fit the situation.

For instance a battle involving all flying units could take place in the clouds & be a little larger to allow more room to maneuver- same thing for 2 large armies meeting in an open field substituting appropriate land terrain for the sky backdrop.

A city siege does not need as much room so that could be a medium size board while a dungeon or crypt would be smaller. Also run a check for number of units in the battle. If the total for both sides is 5 or less (for instance) default to the small board regadless of terrain-no need to have a 20x20 if there are only 4 units involved.

Another thought along those same lines is limiting the size of the army that’s allowed to enter the battle based on the situation/terrain. Maybe a crypt could only accommodate a max of 4 per side at a time or a forest allowing 6 per side at once where an aerial or plains or ocean battle could allow for max units to participate.

That will open the door for you to deveop your reinforcement idea. The rest of the troops are waiting in reserve & can take the place of units killed in action. Also maybe have a withdraw option for badly wounded units to allow for fresh troops to enter the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by TormentoR View Post
    What about environmental/weather effects in tactical combat?
    Taking that to the next level what about seasons on the world map?
    It would be really cool if there were like arctic poles, a always hot equator (jungles, deserts), and then large northern and southern temperate zones that had seasons. Not sure what the time scale is but lets say each turn is roughly a week so every 52 turns a year goes by. In the winter lakes and rivers could freeze in the temperate zone allowing units to walk over them, leaves on the forest tiles could change and fall off, etc. If the tiles are going to be changeable via magic anyway (use a spell to freeze a tile) then it hopefully wouldn't be too much work to have some automatic change go on as the seasons change. Of course these changes would be reflected in tactical combat as well.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast