Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Goblin Hoard

I really like the idea of no gold upkeep on units and buildings. Also, the idea of using population to determine what production choices are available. It's a great in game representation of the horde behavior without any extra resources.

Maybe as a custom unit ability they have something like "harry" ability for the lower level units where any enemy unit (not garrisoned) loses a very small amount of health (~1HP) if they are positioned next to each other on the world map?

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    While the low technology thing does sound like it would work, I'd like to point out that in Masters of Magic, the Orcs actually had access to the entire tech tree. That was kinda there special thing. They didn't have any real special units... but they had access to almost every 'normal' unit, including the top tier navy units which almost no one got.

It might be more interesting to have it so while the Greenskins can make just as advanced stuff as everyone else, they choose to depend on strength of arm and leg instead of strength of cannon and catapult, which in my opinion would be more interesting then another horde of angry barbarians with low tech.

One thing that was interesting about Asmodai's army list was the lack of a dedicated range unit.. while their basic melee unit did double duty as a basic spear thrower too. That struck me as kinda neat.

Though one way you could differentiate between Ogres and Trolls could be equipment.. If Ogres are replacing Engineers for the faction wallbuster unit, it could be said that they get heavy armor and great wall breaking hammers, making them an extra superb melee unit, where trolls shun the fancy armor and weapons, depending on their own hard hide, regenerative powers, and claws for melee combat... but also do double duty as a ranged siege weapon, by throwing boulders at enemies.

Asmodai's list also lacked any flying units, so have an idea for one of those before I finish up.

Goblin Night Raiders are small goblin warriors who have tamed giant bats as riding steeds. While even smaller and punier then normal goblins, they are a fast, mobile, and stealthy troop armed with poisoned throwing blades.

IE, an air troop who focuses on relatively short ranged poisoned skirmishing attacks, cheap, weak, and can be produced in far more numbers then most other sides air units. This would fit in their raiding theme by giving them an early, if less powerful then normal, flying raider, and it would fit in their numbers theme by letting you make more then the normal amount of them, because, well, cheap. Also, for a goblin faction, I see a depressing lack of poisoned weapons.

If we want a stronger flier, instead of or with the Night Raiders, something like a Cave Wyvern would probably work, Though an idea about goblin suicide bombers in home made scrap gliders keeps bugging my mind...

Welcome Happerry! (And anyone who I forgot to say welcome to please forgive me, lol.)

Interesting unit ideas! Now, how would you pitch their culture?

Honestly? I'd style them off Native Americans. Not popular fiction indians, but actually hire a historian type person and then base them off the tribes from the great plains. Because they were at least a semi nomadic set of cultures, following the buffalo herds, in a land mass that didn't have any horses.

Who knows? Maybe if we never found them for a few thousand more years, they might have ended up with riding dogs or something.. or in this fantasy land, wolf riders. Have warrior lodge societies and medicine men, powerful spirit totems, powerful clan chiefs....

At the very least it'd be a change from the normal fake Mongols type barbarian horde.

Either that or base them off the Aztecs. Normally it's the lizard men or savage humans being the horrible jungle blood thirsting tribes. Jungle orcs would be another interesting change.
    Last edited by Happerry; 04-05-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Gotya! Well, we are nearing a vote. In fact, tomorrow I'm going to try to setup a "culture vote" for the orcs. We want to have a faction vote early next week, so we have to decide what culture we are going to pitch both orcs and draconians from. So far for the orcs we have the nomadic barbarians Asmodai suggested and your tribal native american take.

Do we have any more suggestions for orc cultures before we put it to a vote?

Not unless people want to take my Aztec Jungle Greenskins suggestion seriously. Giant Toad Monsters, Werejaguar Ogres, Hobgoblin Eagle Warriors, Cannibal Orc Berserks who hunger for the hearts of their foes, Ogre Mages riding on goblin carried palanquins, Obsidian armed goblin raiders, lizard-like cyclopes with tree trunks as clubs, Jaguar riding Hobgoblin Knights, crazed blood worshiping shamans, Harpy Eagle riding goblin archers, shapeshifting sorcerer kings...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Gotya! Well, we are nearing a vote. In fact, tomorrow I'm going to try to setup a "culture vote" for the orcs. We want to have a faction vote early next week, so we have to decide what culture we are going to pitch both orcs and draconians from. So far for the orcs we have the nomadic barbarians Asmodai suggested and your tribal native american take.

Do we have any more suggestions for orc cultures before we put it to a vote?
    I don't see why we can't have it both ways? Model goblins on native americans but have them as part of a bigger Goblinoid Horde ruled by the nomadic barbarian Orcs. Basically the Orcs had conquered the Goblins and Ogres and such and incorporated them into their society in a sort of Caste system. A caste system would actually encourage the other races to maintain their culture while being part of a larger society.

Acolyte
    PROPOSITION:
    how about instead of all those races you don't just accomunate several aspects for the gaphic.. like, orcs goblins bugbears and all that has kind of the same way to make houses, stinky wooden huts of sorts.
    Units can be different ok, still it's important to be kept right this way, make units for orcs, bugbears, goblins and so on and when you make a faction you let people choose actually the race, working on the traits as well.. a sort of race-editor that lets you edit some of the details of the race.

The more customizable you do the game the more the community can work on it after, making something truly amazing and keeping the game alive for ages.

The reason we want to keep the Orcs "pure" is because we may add the other goblinoids later. We plan to keep adding to the game as time goes by. We may eventually have factions that are amalgamations of the others, but we want to start with more "pure" races

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12