Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Servants of the old ones

Servants of the old ones

This is a semi-aquatic race inspired on the works of lovecraft. Living in mostly in swamps I was thinking on modeling them after the Sahuagin or the Kuo-Toa but making them a little more land based and much more creepy.

Being tied to the horrors dreamed by lovecraft their wizards and clerics should cast biomancy spells and cross spells tied to that school. Like the ones on tiavals post or other classics like Black Tentacles.

They could have some sort of power that taints other races changing their cities and units kind of like MoMs Black Channels did, turning regular units into twisted aberrations. But this don't have to be more powerfull, just different.

There're tons of monsters on the SRD that fit the concept so finding units shouldn't be hard. For example:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/chuul.htm

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/otyugh.htm
    “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”

George Bernard Shaw

This is pretty neat idea, they could move through swamp and coast land faster. No need for ships.

I really like this lovecraftian spin for the a sahuagin based faction but I'd prefer to keep them aquatic and release them, maybe with an aquatic elf or locathah faction, as part of an underwater DLC expansion. Making them semi-aquatic with the swamp and coast movement overlaps too much with the lizardman based draconians in my mind. I'd want them to be distinctly aquatic in line with the whole "Horrors from the Deep" concept. Just my $0.02.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Agreed. Besides as Aquatics we can give them giant squid.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post
    I really like this lovecraftian spin for the a sahuagin based faction but I'd prefer to keep them aquatic and release them, maybe with an aquatic elf or locathah faction, as part of an underwater DLC expansion. Making them semi-aquatic with the swamp and coast movement overlaps too much with the lizardman based draconians in my mind. I'd want them to be distinctly aquatic in line with the whole "Horrors from the Deep" concept. Just my $0.02.
    I would like them to be aquatic but I don't think it could be implemented easily. That would mean that they couldn't make cities on land and if many of their units are aquatic they would be hindered on land as well. On the other hand they could build their cities almost without opposition until other factions build cost cities and ships and even then they would probably have an advantage.

It could work if there're more than one aquatic faction and if every faction has some efficient way of attacking to, and from, the ocean.

And yes, making them full aquatic could give them awesome monsters
    “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”

George Bernard Shaw

Aaron has stated they'd like to make an underwater DLC in the future. It's not certain of course but they'd like to do it and I think this would be a PERFECT faction to include with that. The DLC would likely add spells to allow land units to move through the water and water units to move through the land. (Air Breathing - Air spell, Water Breathing - Water spell) Of course this would add mana upkeep to your units but it gives them access. I agree though you'd either need a rival faction (that's why I suggest aquatic elves or locathah, heck even merfolk) or you could alternately make the "wandering monsters" much more dangerous underwater (or both). So if you choose to play an underwater faction your environment could very well be your major concern through most of the early game even though you may be protected from the land based factions (as they are protected from you.) Many an undersea faction could be wiped out by marauding sea creatures before they even encounter land based factions.

You stole my thunder =P

The last of the three water races I was writting about:

http://forum.wastelands-interactive....ed=1#post52082

Apprentice
    Surely you gotta give them the ability to have island turtles which are like lower level cities, or maybe floating cities? :L
    Limit of the thousands hands, respectful hands, unable to touch the darkness. Shooting hands unable to reflect the blue sky. The road that basks in light, the wind that ignited the embers, time that gathers when both are together, there is no need to be hesitant, obey my orders. Light bullets, eight bodies, nine items, book of heaven, diseased treasure, great wheel, grey fortress tower. Aim far away, scatter brightly and cleanly when fired

Quote Originally Posted by Frederik Hugger View Post
    You stole my thunder =P

The last of the three water races I was writting about:

http://forum.wastelands-interactive....ed=1#post52082
    Sorry! But at least it's great to see that several of us had the same idea.

George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    Agreed. Besides as Aquatics we can give them giant squid.
    Brilliant! Must have the Giant Squid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast