Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I Am Golem

That could also be a very interesting take on it. Almost like a twist on earth elementals. I'll have to give it a think.

Regarding Golems, I'll admit that my first thoughts went two ways.

1 - A brilliant opportunity to spicen up the Dwarves. One issue we haven't yet talked about is spicing up the main three factions in such a way that they aren't just your cookie-cutter fantasy faction, but unique and interesting in their own right. Giving Dwarves the ability to construct Golems as high level units is a perfect fit for both units, I dare say! It makes both Dwarves and Golems very, very cool.

2 - As an independent city. Remember that suggestion about Dark Dwarves building Golems and making them do the dirty work? Well, imagine that city, but then something happened, and all the Dwarves are gone. The Golems, left to their own devices, are now running the city. Are they just lifeless robots, or do they develop an ambition all their own? *BAM* An independent city with lots of interesting lore and ways you can take it.

But having said that, let's take a good, hard look at Golems as a faction. Now, we're wanting to avoid "robot" Golems, right? Well, here's an off-the-wall idea: why not merge Golems with my idea for Astrals? It'd look something like this:

Astrals are beings of pure magical energy from the elemental planes. Since the beginning of time, they have roamed from plane to plane, drinking deeply in the magic therein. But it was only recently that they discovered a portal to a most unusual world, the nature plane (the prime plane. Our plane.). Ever the curious beings, they sought to traverse this world too, but they discovered that the plane was not hospitable to their natural form. Many decades they spent trying to solve the riddle of the nature plane. Then, Magnus the Indomitable discovered the answer. By manipulating the magic on both worlds, Magnus crafted a body of stone and mana. Then he took possession of it, and infused it with his soul, and behold, the first Golem was born. His brethren soon followed, and before the day was done, they had constructed the city of Primus to house their artificial bodies. Now the world lies before their eager eyes, seemingly ready to be explored and claimed.

Now what does this mean from a gameplay suggestion? A couple of thoughts and ideas.

-This does mean that we're steering away from necessarily "big" and "brutish." Golems could be the size (and have the strength) of humans, and arm themselves with all kinds of weaponry. And Golems are certainly intelligent! So we'll likely have Golem mages running around, and diplomacy is no longer a problem. (Of course, Big and Brutish are options, too. But it's just that - an option. Not a mandate we're sticking on all the golems.)
    --The first Golem city begins with a portal to an elemental plane (Which plane is decided by your mage's own pre-game magic selection).
    --Every Golem unit is an Astral, so every Golem unit is inherently magical and elementally biased. So when you build a Golem swordsman, you're actually given four options*: You can build an Earth Golem Swordsman, an Air Golem Swordsman, etc. Said Golems naturally inherit the elemental strengths and weaknesses of their element (So a Fire Golem Swordsman's armor, weapon, and being are from the beginning enchanted with fire magic. Send them against Earth monsters. Not Water enemies.)
    -----*You actually don't get four options at the start of the game. Instead, for every elemental portal your nation conquers, you gain access to that unit variety. So if you start the game with an Earth portal, then you get access to Earth Golems. But if you're getting beat up by Fire units, and you want Water Golems, you've got to claim a Water portal first.
    --Golems generate WAY more mana than other factions, but because they are not of this world, EVERYTHING they create costs mana. So you've got to be careful with those spells!
    --Everything Aaron listed in his original post could also apply, and works perfectly with this concept.

As I type it out, I'm personally liking this idea more and more. Golems would be an awesome faction, and quite unique (which is pretty important in my opinion). What do you think?

(Oh, and we could add in all three kinds of Golems: High level big, brute monster Golems as ultimate Dwarf units and as an independent city, and Astral-infused Golems as a faction.)
    Last edited by Iron Kaiser; 03-01-2013 at 05:09 PM.

That is a very interesting take on it. I think my vote will be for that back story and direction when/if we actually make the Golem a faction. (Again, probably DLC)

Now, in the short run I like putting them in with the dwarves. To be honest I've been looking for a way to "flavor up" the dwarves. I love dwarves, love em. But they tend to lead toward hard to kill melee units. Golems could be the perfect way to spice up their unit options. (After all it worked for MoM.)

Apprentice
    I think it would be neat to tie Golem types to available resources as well. For instance, if a city had no metal resources it would produce stone golems, but if it had iron/mythril/adamantine it would produce golems of appropriate types, each with its own quirks.

OK, that IS an interesting idea for golem constructs. It could add a little variety to the dwarf lineup

I really like the idea of making Iron, Mithril, and Adamantine Golems require having access to those ore resources on the map. One of my D20 friends recently informed me that Mithril and Adamantine Golems already do exist in D20, they're just Epic creatures with CRs of 21 and 25 so these are VERY powerful units. For reference I think the plan is for regular units to start at CR 11 or less with Heroes starting at roughly 11 and Champions starting at roughly 15. Every unit is capable of advancing this by about 5 through experience.

I realize you could weaken them for WoM but I REALLY like D20 Golems so it would be my preference not to do so. If we have golems, let's make them GOLEMS! Of course if I'm in the minority then I submit to the will of the masses but that's my vote. To make them "balanced" though I suggest again that the default Dwarf city produced Golem unit be Stone Golems. Perhaps Iron, Mithril, and Adamantium Golems can be created though via a 9th tier Earth magic spell that is "Create Golem" and what kind of Golem is created depends on which resources you have access to. Additionally for those who are not earth magic there could be "Golem Manual" artifacts that can be found in ruins, etc. that allow ANY wizard who finds them to cast the spell once (per manual found). This would be something your Wizard casts not a unit in the game so the high CRs make sense and this fits well with the fact that Golems (even the Dwarf city produced ones) require mana upkeep.

As a bonus here's a pic of a D20 Mithril Golem:

Apprentice
    As Golems I would think wouldn't gain experience, making them powerful from the get go, but requiring rare resources for the more powerful ones would make sense.

That's a very good point as well. I too would include Golems, along with Settler units, siege engines, and boats in the pool of units that don't gain experience. Makes sense to me anyway (not that that means much, rofl!)

That is a good point! They're one of the few units that shouldn't gain experience. That gives us a little more room to work. We could make them more powerful than normal, but harder to make. The extra materials would be icing on the cake.

*Standard DLC Warning <- That's the let you know that some of this may need to be pushed off to DLC.

Instead of a Boar make it a Ram(like the Sheep). That way you could have a Mount and a low grade Battering Ram.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast