Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I Am Golem

Acolyte
    Golems.. my opinion on it:
    I coordinate now, by 18 years, now a multi campaign in previously D&D 2nd edition now 3e, we will NOT go to 4E, with 31 dms and over 800+ players, and I can say the introduction of warforged race (what actually is the closest resemblance of golem race there can be) has been met by players after a first few doubts on them, rather good.
    In the meanwhile experimentation with rules of half-golems was met with very little enthusiasm favouring rules for grafting drow artificial limbs.
    in a High magic world, by my experience, there's room for a magic-created sentient race such as warforged golems.

oh forgot to add.. make sure to make a very good backstory of WHY those golems became independant. the warforged story of eberron is quite belivable (mass produced for a multi-dimensional war after the war they were sentient and didn't really know what to do after..)
    also give them a belivable way to reproduce, as golems don't really multiply on their own...
    Last edited by Kahn_Bloodbane; 04-18-2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: forgot to add..

Good points! In the long run I expect the Golem to make it. We just need to make sure they feel magical and not mechanic. If we can do that I think most people will be pleased with them

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Good points! In the long run I expect the Golem to make it. We just need to make sure they feel magical and not mechanic. If we can do that I think most people will be pleased with them
    Select several emotions you want Golems to feel intensely and several you don't want them to feel much at all. Off the top of my head: rage, joy, and satisfaction should be things Golems feel intensely while love/hate, fear, and confusion are only distantly available emotions for them.

Not robots, clearly, but they're mostly absent the emotions that tend to drive human behavior, making them distinctly "other" for us.

Golems as a race are tough. What about making them the mindless or close to mindless kind and having them need to be controlled by mage units (or magical heroes maybe). Mages would be your earlier units and would be needed to construct and control your golems. Golems would be very powerful but as they are controlled they would also have a serious weakness in that their master could be killed. This would likely be tricky to pull off and balance but it would be different and fit in with the fantasy setting. To balance out the weakness you could have your faction leader be able to control some without a mage unit potentially or just have the golems go insane instead of shutting down completely. For this race it would also be interesting to require an attached resource to the city for the elite units. This would stop spamming them and give different cities a different flavor. Have adamantium at the city, you can make a very scary adamantium golem for instance.

Instead of metallic constructs, have you considered stone/clay/earth/elemental goulmns?

@Eviscrate: Elemental golems have been talked about, as well as astral gollums, sorry, golems.

I know, I'm just running against the mainstream (which is, at least in Austria, a quite dangerous things to do, because half the country is being drowned by streams...), but I am convinced that golems would have much more flair as dwarf/halfling troops, and would in turn give them much more flair. Both factions (dwarfs and halflings) have the problem, that they have a rather limited amount of units, since there are hardly any beasts (maybe boars, if you want, though riding appears none too dwarfish), close to no access to magical units and hardly unique units (except from "especially hard melee foot soldiers", "even harder melee foot soldiers" and of course "really f***ing awesome melee units). Same goes for halflings.

Also, I think some of the suggested units would appear quite weird. Hollow armours, for example. Why should I shape my golems like armour? Why hollow? Why not fill them with stone, or something flexible? Why not give them 6 arms with razor blades? Why not OPTIMIZE them for war? Armour is good for MEN, not for golems.

Just think once again: is it worth an own faction, or could you not combine the "they must be controlled by someone" idea with pimping up our little folks?
    Last edited by VolkervonAlzey; 06-03-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Arcane Candidate
    I'm having a hard time picturing a golem faction. What resources would they use? Certainly not food... But constructs created by dwarves and wizards? Certainly...

What would be the process for making a golem? Casting a spell? How about needing a special 'magical forge' or something to build them? Maybe the higher tier golems should be more complex, like having to build an iron statue first, then casting an "Animate Golem" spell on it once it's done. What about mithril/adamantium/diamond golems?

@LutherX, and @VolkervonAlzey

If you every played MoO2, there was a faction called Silicoids that ate stone, not food. While all other factions in MoO2 needed 3 types of resources to develop (food, science, production), silicoids could focus on just production and science. This made the faction unique, and I could envision something similar happening in WoM.
    Golemns used as a unit type in a dwarf/hafling race has been done before. Golumns as their own race however has not.

"What would be the process for making a golem? Casting a spell? How about needing a special 'magical forge' or something to build them? Maybe the higher tier golems should be more complex, like having to build an iron statue first, then casting an "Animate Golem" spell on it once it's done. What about mithril/adamantium/diamond golems?"

I like where this thinking is going. Its fresh, its exciting, and its not the standard, gather XXX resources to build YYY units

Arcane Candidate
    I love the idea of golems, but believe there needs to be some sort of "mage/creator" creating them.
    I also think there could be numerous types of golems, from the very basic straw or stick golem, to the more complex suit of armor or iron golem.
    I am not sure how there could be a golem type of "settler", though. That is something would need to be hashed out.
    Also, I think the buildings would need to be much different, as a previous user stated.
    Lets see......

Quote Originally Posted by Draugik View Post
    I love the idea of golems, but believe there needs to be some sort of "mage/creator" creating them.
    I also think there could be numerous types of golems, from the very basic straw or stick golem, to the more complex suit of armor or iron golem.
    I am not sure how there could be a golem type of "settler", though. That is something would need to be hashed out.
    Also, I think the buildings would need to be much different, as a previous user stated.
    Lets see......
    Apparently the term "golem" is being used here to mean any animated construct and in the case of a faction of them they would be intelligent.
    As such the golem is for all intents and purposes the magic robots of a fantasy setting.
    Sure at some point they needed to be created by something but that could have been long ago.
    A golem "settler" would be a unit that is able to move and setup a manufacturing plant at a new location to start building golems.
    Saying that every golem has to be made by a "mage/creator" is like saying sentient robots couldn't make other sentient robots, sure they could.
    If golems can cast spells and think and build then I see no reason why they couldn't build more golems.
    For golems settlers, engineers, and priests could all be mixed together in various ways since they don't heal, they get repaired, they don't settle, they build manufacturing plants, etc.
    I'm not a really a fan of them as a faction but I see no reason why they couldn't work. Having something that doesn't use food, requires mana of unit upkeep, etc. does add an interesting mechanic though in my mind it's not all that different from what is already offered by the undead.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast