Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Necromancy

Apprentice
    I've moved this post from Life to here because someone pointed out it's a tad more violent than you'd expect from Life
    you could introduce a mutation sort of thing which will give units extra things like wings or horns and things like that you could also have spells like "banish" which gets rid of a summon and perhaps if you're having mana give life a "Soul Siphon" ability which steals a targets soul and adds to the mana of something, then link that into crafting aswell and have someone carry round an "Elder Scroll" esc soul gem which allows them to save that soul for later. That's more transmutation of souls and body parts if we're getting rid of the necromancy branding, if we're going for biomancy you could have something like "Cell Regeneration" which is like a "preheal" and give them a Heal over Time. If you're gonna use golems why not use the Soul's you've siphoned as the golems "heart" as it were and bigger golems require bigger hearts etc?
    Limit of the thousands hands, respectful hands, unable to touch the darkness. Shooting hands unable to reflect the blue sky. The road that basks in light, the wind that ignited the embers, time that gathers when both are together, there is no need to be hesitant, obey my orders. Light bullets, eight bodies, nine items, book of heaven, diseased treasure, great wheel, grey fortress tower. Aim far away, scatter brightly and cleanly when fired

Like the mutation for a Nature kind of a thing. (I am going to have to do a post about nature magic and how it's a combination of other circles. Repeating it again and again is getting old...)

"Soul Siphon" is squarely in the death circle.

Regeneration is a good match for Life or Biomancy. We'll have to think about where it belongs. (Life, Biomancy, both)

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I'd say regeneration falls into biomancy, because it's a lasting effect on the body, where pumping a giant blast of positive energy into someone just heals them all at once. Of course, a better version of regeneration could be one of those combo spells mentioned.. Have Both Regeneration and Vital Surge? Get Regeneration Surge!

I see your point there. We'll have to open it up to more debate when we start really fleshing out Life, Death and Biomancy.

If I have to pick one I think regeneration fits biomancy more than life however I'm fine with it being both, I guess it depends on how spells normally fall, are they normally grouped into both one elemental school and one effect school or are they usually only in one school. As far as elemental then regeneration is clearly life, as far as effect then regeneration is clearly biomancy. So just as I assume fireball is fire and destruction regeneration would be life and biomancy.

Sorting out the life/death/biomancy spells is going to take some thought. Another thing that's been on my mind for days (when I find time to think) is should they all be mutually exclusive? That is to say that not being able to study both life and death magic is kinda the norm. However, we're breaking out of that with Biomancy as it is a school that uses both positive and negative energy. The current thought is that life is "good" and death is "evil" (not that we're really using an alignment system, but one summons angles and the other demons, etc.), but that biomancy is truly neutral and is merely using positive and negative energy to achieve a physical goal. So, normally I would say you could combine life or death with biomancy. However, that would mean you might be able to summon angles and create undead in the same battle and some people might think that loses flavor. For me it's all about point of view. If you had studied life and biomancy you might create undead because the undead created with biomancy are just animated corpses, nothing more. So using dead bodies to fight a battle and save the living could be considered a "good" act. Still, people are liable to scream their heads off. So, the question is: Should you be able to mix life and death with biomancy?

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    In my opinion.. Yes.

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    I'd say no, it muddies the waters too much. A clear delineation between what is considered 'good' and what is 'evil' is a strong narrative tool for the fantasy genre. Necromancy should remain separate from Biomancy (which frankly sounds like a high-school subject). Leave the undead to Necromancy say I.

yes.Now that you have renamed necromancy to biomancy this is fine imo.

I say yes to it being able to do both. Remember angels can be the harvengers of Death. Gods get angry sometimes.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast