Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Loose The Locust Of War

I actually don't like that name for them.

Mage’s Assistant
    Depends on which sort of Insectoid we end up with. If we end up with any of the Endopterygota style insects, certainly. If we use Exopterygota(such as my Locusts ), the term "Brood" is quite incorrect, as only holometabolic insects are commonly referred to as being "brood", especially so with bees.
    Of course, this is just modern scientific classification and has nothing to do with a cool fluff name that evokes an image. I doubt even 1% know the difference between what I just said.

In short, the name should be suggested only after we know more about what we'll end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiavals View Post
    Depends on which sort of Insectoid we end up with. If we end up with any of the Endopterygota style insects, certainly. If we use Exopterygota(such as my Locusts ), the term "Brood" is quite incorrect, as only holometabolic insects are commonly referred to as being "brood", especially so with bees.
    Well, just to nit-pick, locust type creatures are called broods as well (sometimes quite famously): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brood_II

Alan Dean Foster has featured an insectoid species, the Thranx, in his science fiction novels. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...h_races#Thranx There's also a GURPS treatment.

Their backround is well developed, but I haven't read the novels in ages and I'm not sure there's much flavor that could be carried into WOM. However, some interesting tidbits that I do remember are: They're individuals. Their cities or hives are typically built mostly underground (might translate as good defense). They're smaller than most species. Their anatomy makes swimming pretty much impossible. They're hard to damage, but bleed badly when their chitin is breached.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    Well, just to nit-pick, locust type creatures are called broods as well (sometimes quite famously): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brood_II
    True, I suppose. The word does have multiple uses after all, but I believe that sort of brood is different from what I meant(specific science word(used in connection to insects) vs "common" word used for big groups of offspring from the same parentage). But if you meant that sort of brood, true, it's correct.

Arcane Candidate
    If we're trying to model off insects, we should probably consider their most salient feature for gameplay: they have a very limited lifespan, compared to other races. As a basic change in gameplay, you might consider the majority of their units to have "timers" on them, that after they spawn, they only exist for x many turns before they die. Compensate for that with cheap cost, and the ability to violate the x many per stack rule that MOM had. So, hives could create 5 units per turn due to cost, and stack up 25 units (compared to a maximum of 9, say, for other races). Heroes and high level units could have much longer lifespans, and gain experience differently than the other races, say by gaining x many experience points per turn regardless of action. That way, you're constantly turning over your armies and heroes, and the core gameplay mechanic is managing that production, transport, and stacking of your hordes to make sure they're at the front lines before they die. After all, insects are the masters of planning and logistics, and you as their uberqueen should be a master logistics planner, right?

Mage’s Assistant
    That would be a very interesting mechanic in a game, but I don't think WOM is the game that would gain from it. Sounds like a lot of micromanagement to check which units are to die, what can you hope to accomplish with them before they die, etc. Not to mention it'd be pretty crazy to program an AI around it, I would guess.

For a game of the scale WOM is, there's already a great many things you need to focus your attention at, and to lose your troops because you forgot that they had a timer so they'd die would be quite annoying. City managing, diplomacy, spells, etc. So many things to take your attention. For a game where there was only a few things that you need to focus on, it would be very interesting to see that sort of mechanic. But WOM isn't that game, I think.

Not to mention that it would affect a lot of spells in a strange way. Like, you would probably never permanently enchant any of your units with beneficial spells since they'll die soon anyway. Making artifacts specifically for a certain hero is out of the question, you'll lose them soon and your next hero may be of a different class. Enemies should use movement hindering spells to deal with them on the strategic scale(but I doubt the AI could realistically be made so smart).

I think the idea does have merit, but a timer isn't a good way to go about it. Not really sure how you could represent really short lifespans in a way that would be fun and meaningful. Plenty of ways you could represent it that don't fit the game, aren't fun or are meaningless if you don't truly notice them.

Edit: It would also be strange since you can conquer other races' cities. If you conquer a non-insectoid city, it will make things difficult since now all of your units don't have a timer. On the other hand, if you conquer an insectoid city with a wizard who has primarily other race cities, it adds an annoying layer of management you might not want to deal with. You don't want to hassle with insectoid city guards, so you'd need to build new ones in another city and ferry them there, instead of making them in the same city.

Hmm, I guess you could kinda deal with a timer based method, if you tied insectoid upkeep less to gold and more to, say, food. If you pay the food upkeep of a unit, its timer doesn't move(to represent new insects taking the place of the ones dying of age). If you don't pay the food-upkeep, the unit will die in a few turns. But that has plenty of other problems. It would cause a different micro-management, such as you wanting to keep them as near to zero as possible to maximize your food surplus in a city. Though, I think the game had food as a pseudo-global resource? So if you were to deduce the food from an universal surplus instead of a city-on-city basis, it might work. Perhaps by paying extra food you could heal a unit on the field, to represent new drones being ferried to replace fallen ones. Humm.
    Last edited by Tiavals; 06-09-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Anyone read Codex alera? there is Race named Vord, Extremely (intentionally upper E) dangerous insect like species. Reason is that they are Intelligent version, not kind that trow units that trows unit and hope to break enemy (but there is one battle at least where they just attack that way impenetrable fortress of wolf-mens, unfortunalty for defenders its distraction, since they developed species which tunneled under them to lead more troop to attack from behind)

They don't attack with masses of weak troops, but "strong" ones, because troops are specializing for specific threats, sometimes looking similar to unit its countering. So Heavily armored beatles, human like flying creature (i think it had dragon fly like wings and scythe like arms) for flying troops, takers (mouse sized insects that enter persons mouth while sleeping, while extracting anesthetic to kill them and take control of body, latter even controling magical talents if person have it and here every human have it), of course queens (there is mention of dragons being overpowered, well, even human shaped few years old one can be made of adamantium, almost only other queen can easily penetrate its armor, can lay eggs, but also serve as commander, groups working becouse of limits in range or max amout of they can control) and wax spiders, that collect biomass and cover it with some substance, there was full forest covered by "wax" that serve as place to feed vord (even other species can eat it, but wax can also devour dead bodies underneath it, so horror factor) and serve as kind of sensor (like spiders net, touch it, it vibrate, spider notice it and come to investigate, mostly here if person is to heavy so make hole in it, but heavier from child or adolescent).

so:
    queen: can lay eggs, commander of troop (from behind hidden), few years old ones can be made of adamantium(not huge amount of hp but that almost nothing can penetrate it, better not implement it) and stronger, maybe make them weaker a little physically and give access to mental magic, in book they made illusion for example

wax spider: can be builder here of buildings (in lore), engineer, can terraform tiles in special one which give healing to vord and act as food (farm bonus), need biomass in tile (cant terraform desert, mountain, maybe snow, or maybe can even this tile, suposedly bringing it from somewhere else)

wordknight: heavily armored beetle

takers: takes control of disabled troops (sleep, paralysis, maybe not stunned unless very long)

mantis: human like scythe like arms, dragonfly wings

tunnelers?:underground movement (age of wonders had 3 layers, normal, astral and underground, underground have block made of heavy stone and diggable earth through which appropriate units can make tunnel for other units)

flamer: look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_beetle, but here it blew flame like dragon maybe?

no need on specific shape of insect like ants or wasp (like zerg from starcraft, no unifrom shapes, it depends on purpose of unit or species that "gave" DNA), just look what role unit play and give appropriate shape or let it copy shape of unit it counter (hmm anti-dragon beetle, fly, resist claws and fire and magic, look like insect version of dragon, but there is magister trilogy series where there is creature called souleater that look like very long dragon with dragon fly wings, it eats souls, energy that power magic and body, usualy just stupid, primal, instinctive creature, when bonded to human it gain intelligence, very resistant as armor made from it but decompose fast when killed, almost invisible since make every body look elsewhere, cant look straight to it,female is better at it, if somebody see it they just wish to lay down and be eaten and are happy for it, so when it eat creatures soul energy at distance, creature is weakend temporaly, max age lowerd permamently, but psychical attacks are strong too)
    Last edited by Spellcaster; 07-11-2013 at 06:15 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345