Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Loose The Locust Of War

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I still like my Myrodants better.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirno9destiny View Post
    what if the 'worker' and the 'Queen' had more different roles.
    Worker units are builders. the make settlements and towers and stuff.
    Queens, on the other hand, priduce units.
    That's how I imagine it works as well but that's more lore than any functional difference.
    You start with a queen, who is a pretty low tier unit attack/def wise (due to slug-for-abutt status)
    the queen, lays eggs.
    You wouldn't start with a Queen unit unless other factions start with Settler units. In MoM at least you started with your first town already founded, a few buildings, and a starting combat unit already produced. I imagine WoM is going to be the same, your wizard tower kind of anchors you and you'll still need that because even though you may choose Insectiods as your starting race your wizard could be anything.

I don't believe queen insects are particularly weak versions before they nest. They only get the "slug-for-abut" status after they've nested (i.e. founded a city in MoM/WoM terms) so the Queen unit would be particularly strong (in this case acting as a magician unit.)

Once it does found a colony though it becomes immobile and lays eggs to produce workers so functionally it becomes the first "building" in the new "city". The workers acts as farmers and builders within the city just like human population units have farmers and builders as well as the "worker" units. The workers create store rooms in the colony (their version of graineries) and other "buildings" and when the population increases they make "solider nurseries" for the new units the queen begins creating. So the workers build the "buildings" that unlock new units but in the lore the now-immobile queen is laying all these eggs for the units. At it's peak the workers build a building that unlocks the ability to produce more queens which act as both the casters of the faction and the settlers.

And you can have more than one queen.
    You can absolutely have more than one queen. Just as other factions can have more than one settler and more than one magician unit. In fact producing a queen shouldn't even decrease the population as creating settlers does in other factions. They should require a lot of production so take a longer time to produce but since every other faction can make them early in their build sequence not having to lose population to build them would help offset that. Plus in this case it isn't a unit of the civilians leaving to found a new city, it really is just a different type of egg the queen lays just like any other unit.
    that way, attacks against other cites won't use catapults. You land some queens near them and spawn an army at theri gates.
    You absolutely would not use catapults in an all insectoid army. The worker units just like engineers can tear down walls and the stag beetle likewise has the wall crusher ability. The queen can also fly over the walls but as a top tier unit you'll be taking down cities far before you can build queens. The Myrmarch can teleport right inside the walls if they want so while Insectoids may take a long time to build their own cities (grow/build up to make queens) they are very capable of taking others.

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    I still like my Myrodants better.
    I'm shocked that one would like their own idea better than someone elses.

Honestly, I'm just sick of Hive themed insect races. I like the Locust Swarm Mobile Insects that got tossed up a while back better too.

I'm not sure I understand the differance between Hive themed racees and an ant themed race...
    hmm... what concepts have we got again; Myroants, Locust, hive... what about an oriental based Praying Mantis themed race XD.
    I'd actually like to see a version of the Myroants either using a different type of bug, like the beetles, or drawing inspiration from ALL types of ant like the leafcutter, fire, soldier, honeypot etc etc and a death shaman dressed as an anteater.

Well, hive in this case as having an egg laying queen as a unit which is what specifically annoyed me, but thematically, the Myrodants use weapons instead of biting and stingers and such, are humanoid instead of just giant insects with hands, are more independent minded then the normal 'one giant hive mind' so that they actually have individuals, and so on.

Personally I don't really care what type of insects the Insectoids are based off of. I went with ants in my suggestion because that's what both the Klackons of MoM and the Formians of D20 appear to be based off of. If people decide they want to use praying mantis, locusts, beetles or something else I'm fine with that.

What I do not want to see however is a conglomerate faction of a ton of unrelated species of insects. My preference would be to pick a kind of insect and make a faction off of it not have each unit be based off of a completely different insect species.

Furthermore my preference would be for the faction to actually use claws, sting, bite, spitting acid, etc. instead of having humanoid bug people who use arms and armor like humans. Just my personal opinion be we have a lot of factions like that already and I thought the idea of WoM was to try to make big differences between the races. Insectoids grant that opportunity in a conceptually easy way and it would just be a shame in my mind to go and make a race that builds buildings, wears armor, uses weapons, etc. just like every other race but has a head that looks like a bug.

In my mind the flavor of my suggestion was not in what bug was being used. Again ant is what both Klackons and Formians already seem to be based off of. The flavor of my suggestion was the interesting new mechanics of the first unit you build being a priest/engineer hybrid (worker) and the combination of the magician/settler into the Queen.

The Formian influence also provided some flavor in the use of poison, though not unique, and I thought the ability for the Myrmarch to teleport (on the tactical map) was an interesting twist on "ranged" units. The faction also has strong mind control abilities which I don't believe any other factions focus on it so much. I like the idea of associating Mind Control abilities to the Insectiods just like I like associating summoning (monstrous spiders, demons, etc.) with the Dark Elves.

Furthermore my preference would be for the faction to actually use claws, sting, bite, spitting acid, etc.
    ttly agree with you there.
    shame we can't mix up ideas somehow. I mean this is a big melting pot, why can't take the technicaly aspects that interest us and mix them together, see what pops out. We can worry about themes and apperances later, just focus on core gameplay. Like; settler unit that is also a caster, decent and easy to make tier 1 unit, 'horse' units should all have flight and have a better def/worse offense than dracos, ETC, ETC.

ttly agree with you there.
    shame we can't mix up ideas somehow.
    Why can't we?
    I mean this is a big melting pot, why can't take the technicaly aspects that interest us and mix them together, see what pops out.
    That's kind of what I try to do. I'm really more interested in the mechanics so I tend to borrow rest from others (other people earlier in the thread as well as MoM and D20). Maybe that makes my pitches seem unoriginal but interesting new mechanics are way more appealing to me then creative names, appearances, and backstory.
    We can worry about themes and apperances later, just focus on core gameplay.
    Totally agree. In fact I'd go so far as to say that I'd rather just leave the specific appearance to the artists and let them do their thing.
    'horse' units should all have flight and have a better def/worse offense than dracos, ETC, ETC.
    My suggestion didn't have a cavalry unit because they are all sort of cavalry units. Since insects have 6 "legs" I went with the Formian style centaur-like 4 leg + 2 arm combo. Having 4 legs on every unit makes them move faster then the 2 legged races and the Large one moves 5 tiles and the Queen can fly at 6 tiles. This also compensates for them not building roads (the worker only has a subset of the priest/engineer capabilities not a complete set of each).

I really think we should stick with the 6 "legs" idea as I see it as a defining characteristic of insects. If people don't like the 4 leg + 2 arm centaur style ones though we could also go with 2 legs + 4 arms or a mix of both. 4 arms to me however would imply additional attacks and with bite, claw, and sting they already have a lot so making them faster (but without road building) seems like a better balance. Plus again it makes them less human looking and for me that's a plus. I REALLY would prefer not to have humanoids with bug heads.

I like the 6 limbs over 4 concept and see what you mean about no cavalry.

Oh, and rereading some earlier posts I somehow neglected to mention how 'queens' differ from settler units. The Queen can stop laying and move off elsewhere. That is why I brought up starting with a Queen.

Example: queen is in city, city becomes understtack. Remove queen from city and find safe place to rebuild. Population of city remains same but cannot grow if no Queen is within the city. Certain top-level buildings will prevent queen escapeage but that would be the price for powerful units.

This way you could literally plonk some queens down to overrun a city, and if it failed, pack up the queens and run. Of course as a result Insectoids might end up being a food hungry faction but that just leads into some of the locust concepts some more.

What about "The Brood" as a faction name for them?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast