Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dead Men Walking (Undead Units)

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    And, of course, certain world spells may make dead units raise up as zombies or skeletons.
    Not sure if I read that right but are you saying that if living units fall in tactical combat on a corrupted tile they will automatically raise up as zombies or skeletons?

First, name suggestions.

Settlers - Heralds (the ones making way for the march of the dead), Claimants (the ones who literally claim land), Possessors (the ones to possess the land), Grave-markers (play on words. In reality, a grave marker marks where the dead are buried. Here, a grave marker determines where the dead "live.")
    Engineers - Crypt Slaves. Pall Lords. Doom Craftsmen.

I love the list of units! Can't wait to really see 'em in game! But having said that, you wanted some suggestions, so here are a few ideas off the top of my head.

Gnat Swarm - A cloud of tiny insects unwittingly controlled by their undead masters. Gnats aren't terribly useful as anything more than scouting units, but they do carry the poisonous blood of the dead within them, so they are liable to infect enemy units.
    Vulture Formation - Carrion birds who have been captured and trained by their undead masters. Vulture Formations are early-game flying units, giving them a particular advantage against certain kinds of prey. However, Vulture Formations are not terribly effective, especially by themselves. Better used as a support unit.
    Plague Bearers - Shambling creatures that are... "equipped" with a wide variety of contagions to spread. Their melee attack has a chance to inflict a variety of selectable status effects on enemy units. (Example: Set Plague Bearer to "Madness" mode, attack Elven Swordsman. Successful infliction makes Elf "mad" for the rest of the turn, which means he becomes uncontrollable and will attack friend and foe alike).
    Gargoyle: A memorial statue brought to life! Gargoyles are immune to many kinds of magic, and are equipped with a series of protection spells for its allies.

Yuo could leave Ghosts, Vampires and liches for summoning spells. It would also make sense that the undead units use mana instead of food and gold. Kind of what Warlock did for their undead faction.

Asmodai, I was actually talking about world spells like Zombie Mastery in MoM.

Iron Kaiser, I like Heralds and Pall Lords I think (I know engineers are still up the air. We need to discuss the pros and cons more before we come to a decision.)

Those are some interesting unit suggestions. Plague Bearer could be wild, lol. We could certainly stick some of the incorporeals in the “summoned” category. I think we may want at least one vampire hero or champion. We would like to fit them in the list of units in time, but we only have so much room and they are very powerful. Of course, making them a high-tier summon might be a good way to temporarily work them in.

Keep in mind that Ghouls spread "Ghoul Fever" which could be a mechanism for a "plague bearer" effect.
    The Lich I could see as a quest item. I'd love to see them in the game but they are not only very powerful but destroying them requires you find and destroy their phylactery. Unless you are just going to drop the phylactery that makes them too powerful for a standard unit but does provide an interesting "quest". There could be a lich terrorizing an area and you can keep killing it but it keeps coming back until you find the ruin or other map location that contains it's phylactery and destroy it.

True, ghouls are good plague bearers and can give you a new unit.

Killing a Lich could be an awesome quest!

Updating the wiki, and changing the Deathweb article to Ghast. Small snag: Are the challenge, build cost, and maintenance stats the same for both units? If not, what's the Ghast's stats?

Rofl, that's why I left that one alone. I also imagine the Deathweb will make a reappearance (perhaps as a summoned unit instead of one a city builds) so I figured I wouldn't change the page so it could be used later.

I'll have to change all those numbers in time. We need to stick a large "SAMPLE NUMBERS" in there somewhere

Apprentice
    Well if you're looking for a vampire "hero" then how about having a vampire unit that was summoned or created using a spell y'know like "blood corruption" or something have an ability that "consumes" a target unit ally or enemy that was under a certain percentage of hp then after a certain number of "consumption's" that vampire unit is the elevated to a "vampire lord" which gains some extra abilities like "bat swarm" and things like that and more abilities are unlocked the more consumption's made?

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Ohh and how about having something like a "corpse carrier" something that goes around collecting the corpses of killed units and saves them for later then a necromancer or a necromantic spell can tap into the collected corpses and summon a fresh army whilst on the go, you can also give the "corpse carrier" the ability to fling the corpses into the enemy units which spreads disease and madness, cause y'know having your dead friend flung at your face can never be pleasant
    Limit of the thousands hands, respectful hands, unable to touch the darkness. Shooting hands unable to reflect the blue sky. The road that basks in light, the wind that ignited the embers, time that gathers when both are together, there is no need to be hesitant, obey my orders. Light bullets, eight bodies, nine items, book of heaven, diseased treasure, great wheel, grey fortress tower. Aim far away, scatter brightly and cleanly when fired

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast