Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Time to Destroy (Destruction Spell List)

A Time to Destroy (Destruction Spell List)

As part of my dishing out more information I've decided to put up our current-partial-tentaive spell list for the Destruction Circle. You may wonder what the point is of putting up a current-partial-tentaive list, but the explanation is simple. We want feedback before spells make the move from the tentative to the in-game list. We want suggestions to fill the list out, making it less partial. Then, of course, the current list will be updated. In the fullness of time the “the current list” will become simply “the list”. So, without further ado I present to you the current-partial-tentaive destruction circle spell list:

Tier 1:
    Magic Missile
    Produce Flame

Tier 2:
    Acid Arrow
    Sound Burst

Tier 3:
    Fireball
    Stinking Cloud

Tier 4:
    Flame Strike
    Ice Storm

Tier 5:
    Cone of Flame (Fire based “Cone of Cold”)
    Cone of Cold

Tier 6:
    Fire Seeds
    Freezing Sphere (Cold based “Flaming Sphere”)

Tier 7:
    Destruction
    Fire Storm

Tier 8:
    Earth Quake
    Incendiary Cloud

Tier 9:
    Meteor Swarm
    Implosion

A few things I want to underline before you guys reply. First, this is a tentative list. So, we can (and probably are) going to change it. Second, it is a partial list. It is almost certainly going to grow. Third, these spells are things that can be used on the battle board. (Most destruction spells can be used on either the battle board or the world map.) We want to confine current suggestions to things that can be done on the battle board. So, although “Destroy Plane” might be a very exciting epic almost unfathomably powerful destruction spell, this isn't the post to talk about it as you wouldn't use it on the battle board.

We pulled our current list from the D20 spell list. An easy to use copy can be found here:

D20 Spell List

MoM's spell list is also a good source of inspiration. Of course, feel free to find your own sources or just make up spells from scratch.

Either way, we're listening.

Acolyte
    Would that mean there are duration based spells as well? Sorry if it's mentioned somewhere else, haven't read every single thread just yet.

Spells like Acid Arrow, the 'cloud' spells and Fire Storm and Meteor Swarm are duration spells if I'm not mistaken.

Not the most original idea on my part but "Destruction" is a cleric domain in D20 so throwing those spells in there seems appropriate:

1 - Inflict Light Wounds
    2 - Shatter
    3 - Contagion
    4 - Inflict Critical Wounds
    5 - Inflict Light Wounds, Mass
    6 - Harm
    7 - Disintegrate
    8 - Earthquake
    9 - Implosion

Also are there going to be enough spells so that if I make a wizard with the same specialization (lets say all ranks in Destruction for the sake of example) that the spells available to research will be different each play though? I believe that's how it was in MoM or if you specialize that way will you have EVERY Destruction spell available to research each play through?

Acolyte
    As far as I know, once you had 10 books in a certain realm, you had all the spells available to you to research.

I would love to see some more randomization as how Asmodai suggests.
    An orc is a fire plug of a fighting machine made of muscle, hide, talon, and tusk, with a villainous dispostition and a mean sense of humor. And, of course, an orc is a poor dumb grunt - the much abused foot soldier of the Evil Horde of Darkness.

By your list, i understand "destruction" like it is in Skyrim : A magic way to harm your foe...

Maybe the destruction circle should involve the void or the neather, for pure destruction spell (no cross circle).
    For example, a neather bolt which disintegrate the part of the body that touch.
    it could have random effect : like -1(or no) mouvement (if the leg is gone), -1(or no) attack (arm or weapon), instant kill (head), no protection (if armor is striken),...

There are duration/DOT spells. As you say, acid arrow has a duration as do the cloud spells.

Asmodai, we're keeping the “inflict” spells in death and necromancy (for the moment). Shatter is a good candidate for Destruction.

I'm currently leaning toward “no random element” in what you can research. I always HATED not being able to know what I was going to be able to research when I started. However, we hope to have enough spells that if the popular vote goes toward “a random selection” of spells to choose from there will still be enough spells to go around if you see what I mean. ( I know you guys are leaning TOWARD randomization, so we'll just have to see what turns out to be the most popular take on it. I could always make it an option.)

I like the nether/void idea. And, yes, you have the concept. Magic Missile itself is an example of a “purely magic” damage spell. It's tied to no other circle. It just blasts your enemies with magic.

Oddly enough while they are necromancy the "inflict" spells are not domain spells for the death domain in D20.

Death
    1 - Cause Fear
    2 - Death Knell
    3 - Animate Dead
    4 - Death Ward
    5 - Slay Living
    6 - Create Undead
    7 - Destruction
    8 - Create Greater Undead
    9 - Wail of the Banshee

TormentoR was correct though, at 10 books in MoM you do get all the spells as noted here:
    http://masterofmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Spell_Rarity
    I must have mistaken it with another MoM clone.
    If you can find spells, trade for spells, etc. then having some you can't research right off the bat makes sense to me.
    If the only way to get spells though is via research then yes, it would stink to not be able to get some if you put all your ranks in that school.

Acolyte
    I must say I did love the randomness, especially in one of my frequent Myrran Warlord Life Mage games. Checking the spell book if I got Incarnation and Crusade. I had to force myself to finish the game regardless of the availability of the spell. The feeling of reward was a lot greater when I scored it from a temple or such.

Back to destruction, if you end up having a Golem race as suggested, there might be some specific spells targeting them and other constructs(siege engines and ships). I don't really see destruction as something targeting the fabric of magic itself.
    An orc is a fire plug of a fighting machine made of muscle, hide, talon, and tusk, with a villainous dispostition and a mean sense of humor. And, of course, an orc is a poor dumb grunt - the much abused foot soldier of the Evil Horde of Darkness.

The "random selection" angle has a lot of support. Things may very well go that way.

Since we're incorporating the d20 rules certainly spells with have cool effects on golems if they make it in. For instance, fire spells heal an iron golem. A few cool twists like that exist.

Apprentice
    I'd like a mix of randomization and research you could incorporate randomisation into a specific event or research like say "arcane research" or something like that will give you a random spell too use which can be both good and bad, you could then also just have specific research like " Researching Destruction" which will give you a "tree" to follow which you've got to go up to in order to get the highest tier of spells with each tier taking more research etc, you can also have random "Arcane Tomes" as magical artifacts that will give you a selection of 3 spells from 3 schools to choose from that you can take, or you can use the Tome to add to your overall research that's my suggestion
    Limit of the thousands hands, respectful hands, unable to touch the darkness. Shooting hands unable to reflect the blue sky. The road that basks in light, the wind that ignited the embers, time that gathers when both are together, there is no need to be hesitant, obey my orders. Light bullets, eight bodies, nine items, book of heaven, diseased treasure, great wheel, grey fortress tower. Aim far away, scatter brightly and cleanly when fired

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast