Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: High Men Units

If you don't want Paladins to slaughter anything they encounter (what i think is logical), give them another name : call them Witch Hunter or Inquisitor or Devot Knight,...
    I don't think paladin must only worshiping good Gods. they might be neutral or evil.

But once again, they may not stick with D20 rules

As a huge fan of D20 as well as MoM and since they prominently promote the D20 link I tend to speak from a D20 frame of mind. As such in my mind (and I don't think it's just D20, it's a common understanding of the word I believe) Paladin DOES mean just good. Being good is a requirement of the class, having your actions restricted is part of the balance for the power the class gets. To me at least leaving all that power and removing the alignment restriction is highly unbalancing. Sure people who play them aren't going to like being restricted but most people would rather not go to work and just collect a paycheck for nothing too. I see them similarly, kind of a "give me all the power but don't place any requirements on me for it." Perhaps this is just another point I'm in the minority on though.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    In Master Of Magic Paladins were one of the best units out there, and they didn't care how many of your enemy's cities you burned because you didn't think you could hold them/they were placed stupidly. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    In Master Of Magic Paladins were one of the best units out there, and they didn't care how many of your enemy's cities you burned because you didn't think you could hold them/they were placed stupidly. Just saying.
    Oh in MoM I totally agree! In MoM every Draconian could fly as well though and in my experience at least it's generally agreed that MoM was not particularly well balanced between the factions. I think the idea here is to try to make them more balanced and that's one of the reasons the D20 system is being used. There's been a lot of playtesting and balancing already done by Wizards of the Coast and others who created the system and they're trying to leverage that. Part of that balance for the Paladin class is the alignment restriction in return for getting a bunch of extra powers. If you take away that restriction and still give all the powers then you throw off the balance.

Arcane Candidate

Paladin

Honestly I don't like the idea of Paladins being cavalry only.

I hate it. They do it in every game like this. Horse + lance (or sword+shield)

The Beauty of D&D was that you could customize. My paladins were footsloggers, in field plate and with a zweihander.
    Please tell me they can at least dismount...please.

When I hear "Paladin" this is what I immagine:
    http://www.elfwood.com/art/h/e/henyokid/paladin_01.jpg
    http://www.coins.ro/mightandmagic/wp...Haven-Hero.png

Not this:
    http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...te-d4s2fwl.jpg

EDIT:

I remember a few olders strategy games that let you customize your units. You'd pick armor/weapons and stuff (in case of veichles, chassis,turret, engine, armor, etc..)
    Last edited by Ellderon; 10-10-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    There are games in which you can customize units (Alpha Centauri, the Master of Orion serie, ...) but that's not planned in WoM. Customization will be in terms of unit enchantement, artifacts, ... not on the base unit's ability.

Arcane Candidate
    Quote Originally Posted by Trudd View Post
    If you don't want Paladins to slaughter anything they encounter (what i think is logical), give them another name : call them Witch Hunter or Inquisitor or Devot Knight,...
    I don't think paladin must only worshiping good Gods. they might be neutral or evil.
    Couldn't they just give them their own AI that refuses to attack settlers/civilians?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123