Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just A Drop Of Water In An Endless Sea (Water Spell List)

Counterspell is already a spell, it is called dispel magic. I assume there are spells that are available to everyone no matter where they've chosen to put their books and if so this would be one such spell. I don't think that replaces the ability to counter a spell by identifying it and casting the same (or a special counter noted in the description). Using only dispel magic to counterspell significantly reduces the value of the spellcraft skill, prohibits lower level units from counterspelling at all, and almost forces everyone to have to research dispel magic.

I wasn't really looking at dispel magic as counter-spell, but you're right and it could be used that way. I was looking at it from the point of view that dispel magic would destroy existing magical effects and counter-magic would stop them before they had an effect. Anyway, the point stands. We may want counter-spell to be available to all sorcerers. If we decide to go that route it's going to require a separate mechanic, not just a spell.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    The water domain spells really are a good fit here I think. Of course, Water Breathing won't make it in the core.
    Could I ask why Water Breathing won't make it? It seems that having a water spell let a unit move in water tiles is both in theme and not too unbalancing if the lizardmen are being considered at all.. I mean, even if it limits you to just coast tiles, that stil sounds like something that might be worth it.

I think with water breathing they are reserving it to use with a possible future expansion that adds underwater races and such. So it won't make the release version but if they implement it now in the way you suggest they'd have to change it if they were able to release the underwater expansion which could be confusing. So having like a 'Water walking' spell that does what you suggest and then keep water breathing waiting in the wings.

Yes, we were holding water breathing back for "underwater" game play. However, that's not a firm decision yet. If water breathing isn't in the initial release expect water walking to be there

Apprentice
    I'm surprised you haven't got any slowing spells like swamp or mud etc o.o water's not really my thing :L i'll be waiting on the other domains to add my opinion ^^
    Limit of the thousands hands, respectful hands, unable to touch the darkness. Shooting hands unable to reflect the blue sky. The road that basks in light, the wind that ignited the embers, time that gathers when both are together, there is no need to be hesitant, obey my orders. Light bullets, eight bodies, nine items, book of heaven, diseased treasure, great wheel, grey fortress tower. Aim far away, scatter brightly and cleanly when fired

Good ideas! Keep in mind these lists are only partial (Still, keep making suggestions! We love to hear them!!)

Arcane Candidate
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    We may want counter-spell to be available to all sorcerers. If we decide to go that route it's going to require a separate mechanic, not just a spell.
    Perhaps rather than a blanket counterspell, a variety of selective counters available in different spell circles. A life spell that counters a death spell. A death spell that counters a summoning spell. A protection spell that counters a destruction spell. Etc.

Arcane Candidate
    I see several ways in which to handle counterspelling. I think that, in general, a sorcerer who invests heavily in Protection should be the best at it, and can expect to research spells that provide strong options for that style of play. I also think that other circles may offer a spell or two that allow them to counter at least some spells, particularly those of their opposed elements or forces.

I do not think we have discussed the idea of casting times on tactical spells. If particularly dangerous or powerful spells have a casting time on the tactical map, then counterspelling them becomes possible, which would serve as an excellent balance to their potency. Elemental (Fallen Enchantress and onward) use this mechanic on spells like Fireball, and include counterspells that can be cast to interrupt them, but only if you use them in time.

Allow me to present some counter-examples of my own (Yeeeeaaaaah!)

Counterspell
    Circle: Protection
    Type: Tactical
    Casting Time: Instant
    Level: (low)
    Cost: Variable

Counterspell attempts to unweave spells as they are being cast. It is only usable against spells that have a casting time long enough to allow your sorcerer or a caster champion to cast Counterspell before the other spell is completed. The casting cost of Counterspell is variable, and excess mana above the base casting cost is applied to improve the chances of countering the target spell.

Duelward
    Circle: Protection OR Mentalism
    Level: (mid-level)
    Cost: by level

Duelward sets up an enchantment on the battlefield which triggers when an enemy caster unit or the enemy sorcerer attempts to cast a spell. The caster of Duelward then has the option to interrupt the spell out of turn (by casting Counterspell or some similar effect if they have it). Actually using the opportunity Duelward affords expends it, but doing so allows the caster to counter even spells that have a casting time of Instant. The caster of Duelward is free to allow any spells he wishes, and doing so does not expend Duelward.

Quickening
    Circle: Augmentation
    Level: (mid)

Quickening enhances the subject's thought processes and ability to work mana, such that they are able to shape spells more rapidly. While Quickening lasts, the subject reduces all casting times by one round (to a minimum of Instant). As the subject uses spells, Quickening erodes under the strain - the more mana is spent in casting Quickening, the more spells it can affect before it ends.

Mana Twist
    Circle: Protection
    Casting Time: One round
    Level: (mid - to- high)

Mana Twist creates an enchantment on the battlefield that hampers spellcasting by any except the caster and his allies. Should anyone else attempt to cast a spell, they will find that their mana costs have increased, and that their spells have one round added to any casting time they might have had (to a minimum of one round in the case of instant spells). As enemy casters use spells, the "penalty mana" that they spend wears down the Mana Twist, reducing its duration, so casting Mana Twist with extra mana means that it will last longer than it would otherwise. This spell serves primarily to create a window of opportunity for counterspelling.

Wrench
    Circle: Protection AND Destruction

Wrench violently twists the spell energies the enemy caster is attempting to shape, with potentially explosive results. Much like Counterspell, the casting cost of Wrench is variable, and the more mane is spent on it, the more likely it is to succeed, and the more devastating the results. Champions take damage if their castings are unraveled, while sorcerers lose additional mana. It might be enjoyable to add a random factor to the effects of Wrench, with larger amounts of mana (counting both that used by the caster and victim) increasing the effect, which could just be damage to the victim, or even an explosion. (Also, I love the name, as you are throwing a Wrench in their casting).

Mana Theft
    Circle: Protection AND Mentalism

This spell improves on Counterspell by absorbing a percentage of the mana from the countered spell and giving it to the caster of Mana Theft. Mana is precious, after all, and should never go to waste...

Consecrate
    Circle: Life
    Casting Time: One round

Consecrate sanctifies the battlefield with holy power. This power resists the corrupting touch of Death magic and Death-aligned creatures. Such creatures function at penalties (-2 to hit, damage, checks, and saves), and spells of the Death circle have their mana cost increased and have a chance of failure when cast. If only the base cost for Consecrate is paid, then this chance is small, but if the caster pours additional mana into the spell, then the chance of forcing spell failure increases proportionally.

Roughly identical effects could be achieved under different names: Desecrate for Death magic opposing Life magic, Saturate for Water magic opposing Fire magic, Dehydrate for Fire Magic opposing Water Magic.

Chris

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    MoM had a Sorcery spell Countermagic (which was also a feature of battles on Nodes) which would make the first X amount of power of spells have a chance to fizzle until it's power was used up. All this talk of counterspell made this seem like the thread to put this spell in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast