Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Elven Units

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    The City Guard were actually stolen from Warhammer, where the Dark Elves had a city guard unit that had it's front rank armed with spears and it's back ranks armed with repeating crossbows, which is where I got the base idea and name.

As for Guardsmen, I considered naming them Sentinels, but they really are the basic militia type trooper and I was unsure on giving them a fancy name.

And I wasn't thinking a Cap.. more of high build cost and high upkeep, meaning the enemy can afford to have, say, two orc elites for each Elf Lord you have out. Or something such of those lines.

Mage of the Lesser Tower devoncop's Avatar
    Ah, OK I see where you are coming from. I think the term Guardsmen to me relates to an elite unit rather than a city militia type. Something like a City Watch or somesuch description appropriate to Elven culture would maybe differentiate them from the better trained and equipped stuff.
    "There are only two things that are infinite:the universe and the stupidity of people....... and I am not sure about the universe" Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    And I wasn't thinking a Cap.. more of high build cost and high upkeep, meaning the enemy can afford to have, say, two orc elites for each Elf Lord you have out. Or something such of those lines.
    yes,i agree.
    I think especially with High Elves they should have more powerful high tier units,that cost a lot more to produce/upkeep to balance it.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Honestly, I could see Guardsman going for either a high or low tier unit, but if it bugs people enough, I could rename them the Honor Guard or the Urban Wardens or something such.

Mage of the Lesser Tower devoncop's Avatar
    Hi Happerry,

Given the scale of your project the naming of an Elven City militia is not going to "bug me" either way, I am just a happy dude the project is in development! Having said that your two suggestions above sound exactly what I personally was thinking of (in particular the Urban Wardens which sound suitably bottom of the barrel ). Thanks for the feedback either way.
    "There are only two things that are infinite:the universe and the stupidity of people....... and I am not sure about the universe" Albert Einstein

Good suggestions!

A couple of things:

Yes, backers have major influence. If one of the Giants wants to take elves in a different direction we have to kind of follow their lead. They have made a significant investment and we have to do our best to make sure they're pleased with their decision. That having been said, you guys can always try to persuade them. Also, they don't have total control. Whatever we end up with will be 100% WoM. They may decide they want high elves first. If so we'll go with high elves! However, they will still be WoM high elves. Plus, of course, we can always add sylvan elves later

The Wiki needs a lot of work... We have big plans, but we are very very busy ATM. There is some basic info there, but really it's going to need an overhaul. Either way, go take a look, lol.

Arcane Candidate
    [QUOTE=Aaron;51044]

Settlers
    Engineers
    Archers
    Swordsmen
    Druids
    Rangers
    Sorcerers
    Arcane Archers
    Ballista

This units fits High Elfs, i think the others can be useful to orcs and others.
    Unicorns and Pegasus are good "bestiary" to be tamed by elfs and i guess you're missing something like the "Elven Lords" from MoM. Powerful mounting units are need and I guess the most powerful unit must be something like a medieval cavalier riding an unicorn. despite it will be cool and original.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

I really like this "sub" cuture thing, silvans elfs will be good.

Neophyte Sorcerer
    I think the idea of splitting High and Wood elves is a great one for a future expansion/dlc, but for now simply "elves" is sufficient, and "dark elves" as their nemesis. You could just call these High Elves as well, and then just add the Wood elves as a new standalone race later with dlc.

The treant idea is fabulous, and I'm with others in that elven cavalry should be horses, not wolves. I don't know of any fantasy setting where elves ride wolves, and plenty where they ride horses.

MoM had fantastic stables, and to be honest, I think elves would be a ... erm ... fantastic choice for that and let them ride pegasi at high levels. Then you don't need the great eagles, because you'd have your flying cav already, although there's nothing wrong with that idea too. Maybe the eagles can be with the wood elves when they come out.
    Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how great your achievements, or how miserable your failures, there will always be one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Mage’s Assistant
    Since I just found this thread I wanted to throw in my 2c, altho slightly unrelated, just some quick observations.

In any empire building game, i always go with the quickest race to do, what I call, 'get-off-the ground' so to speak.

Since in WoM, similar to its predecessor MoM, range is king, this is clearly currently the elves.

Elves are not the best race to build an empire with IMO...humans slightly are, but the fact that you with just a smithy, can build a decent ranged unit, the elven archer, this clearly should make elves the hands down favorite as easiest race to get going with.
    Humans are too slow to geet their crossbowman....and Draconian Javelins just miss too often, and rarely hit for any damage when looking at their elven counter-part.

I try to roll a world, with gold or silver close, and at least one human city close by.....this is a sure recipe for victory IMO in WoM

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234